Compression, again

Matt

Now let's say I compress an entire mix with 1.5:1 <20db. That brings up quiet sounds. Do I then compress again but this time at 1.5:1 >20db to level off the peaks? It sort of seems lopsided, doing <20db or >20db and not both. Suggestions?

I don't understand what you are asking.
Are you thinking that you need to compress and de-compress (Expand). to balance out something? This is what DBX noise reduction units do....Comp/expand but not what most of us are talking about when compression is used. Compression just evens out the loud and soft portions of a signal. (Don't overuse this!) It makes an instrument or vocal more consistent in level during a mixdown. I like the "sound" it adds to a Bass Guitar (Kinda squashed and contained energy). Compression on a mix can make it sound more polished and professional IMHO.

Dom Franco

Thanks for your quick reply! I understand the function of compression but something's not clicking with me. I'm asking if I need to compress once to bring UP quiet sections and then again at a different threshold level to bing DOWN the peaks. Does that make sense? I'm always being told that a compressor levels off everything. How does that work when you're only compressing things below a certain db?

[This message has been edited by Matt (edited 10-09-1999).]

Dom, Thanks for your help. My quandry is no more! I figured it out all by my lonesome! Thanks.

Back