Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassette-only "record" labels

lo.fi.love is offline Functionally obsessed.

Cassette-only "record" labels

Sign in to disable this ad
    I'm starting a cassette-only label. All of my releases will be on cassette and I'm wondering if by chance there is anyone else here who is doing the same.

Just thought I would check to see. This is the only part of the board where I thought I could find anyone else doing this.

Anyone? Or, does anyone know of other cassette-only labels?

M10K is offline Senior Member
    Interesting...but WHY?

jjones1700 is offline Learning, always learning
    I admire the thought and can appreciate what you are trying to achieve, but I think you would be really limiting yourself in regards to your fans. How many people (read: non-musicians) do you know that still have cassette decks in their household? I've got 6, but I'm a whole other story. Most people don't have cars old enough that included cassette decks in them. See my point?
    The interface said to use "Windows XP or higher"...

... I used tape...

lonewhitefly is offline Force of Nature
    i am interested in this as well; i have a finished album i was thinking about issuing on cassette because digital just sounds so bad

hungovermorning is offline Dr. Caveman.
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewhitefly View Post
    i am interested in this as well; i have a finished album i was thinking about issuing on cassette because digital just sounds so bad
    Why not vinyl? That's what our label does. We combine vinyl releases with a free digital download. I get what you mean on cassettes, I really like them too.
    Cavetone Records is a vinyl-only record label that records and mixes only to open reel through a series of tube devices and magic to release mono records. http://www.cavetone.com

MadAudio is offline Damned if I do
    ROIR used to be cassette-only....
    Newest endeavor: Playing drums in a live band version of 7 Door Sedan's music.

"Do yourself a favour just shut up, read up then put up." --muttley600

lonewhitefly is offline Force of Nature
    i'd love to do vinyl (vinyl and 1/4" open reel are my favorite playback formats), but I don't have the budget for it for a small run (like 200 or so).

my recordings are made completely analog and it kills me after i mix it down to tape to transfer it to CD, even worse when it goes mp3. after working with the tape so long and getting used to the sounds, it doesn't even sound like music to me when it goes to digital.

that said, cassette is a compromised format, but at least it sounds "right" - if not hi-fi.

i also can't get the mp3 files to even sound decent - i am really bad when it comes to doing anything with music on the computer. i had a radical idea to release the album on 1/4" open reel, 8 track cartridge, and cassette. not sure if i can pull it off, but i think it would make a great statement. i gave in and put some stuff on the internet though:

http://www.myspace.com/magicherovsrockpeople

Donny

Herm is offline 1K Silver Member
    I bought a brand new 2006 ford truck that came with a cassette and combo cd player radio.

lo.fi.love is offline Functionally obsessed.
    I wasn't ready to justify to my position, but I suppose I'll have to post some kind of manifesto really soon...

And yes, ROIR was a cassette label. They released some of America's most seminal hardcore bands on cassette. I'm more interested in what the cassette can do today, which I will be touching on once I post my story.

So please, hold on for another day while I put this all together into some kind of coherent message

trancedental is offline Dedicated Member
    Cassette duplicating machines would most probably currently be going for very cheap prices as the format sales have declined. You could buy one of these & save production costs!!!!!!!!!

From what I remember for record label cassette releases, master tapes were recorded onto a reel to reel recorder & then the tape was put inside the cassete shell afterwards. This was to avoid problems with using the cassette mechanism / machine itself to record tape.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information