Thread: Best Cassette tape?

AcousticMan is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Question Best Cassette tape?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I know that the responses may vary here...ha ha..But what do you think the best tape for 4 track cassette rig is ? Barry

BillyFurnett is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    I don't know what the "Best" is or which is (Or was) perhaps considered to be the industry standard (If in fact there was / is one), but personally I've always liked the TDK SM's.

I usually track two or three songs to a 30 min. tape and the same for the mixdown.

I'm interested in trying some of the brands others here have found to be excellent as well.

cjacek is offline Analogue Enthusiast
    Thanks

Re: Best Cassette tape?

Originally posted by AcousticMan
    I know that the responses may vary here...ha ha..But what do you think the best tape for 4 track cassette rig is ? Barry
    Best cassette tape as in "still available" or "discontinued" ? If the former then I believe it's the TDK SM-X. Still available from tdk.com. The latter I read many who report that the SONY UX PRO was the best. Comments anyone ??

Daniel

PS: Oh yeah, before I forget, don't ever buy tape longer than 60 minutes. Stick to 60 min or less.

Beck is offline * * * * *
    Thanks

TDK

I agree, it's SM-X. Too bad TDK stopped making the 60-minute length. SA-X or just SA also produce great results. The tape in the SM-X and SA-X are the same, but the SM-X has improvements in the mechanism.

I've tried about everything there is/was since the early 80's in a Tascam 244 and then 246, which I still own. I did have some trouble with SA-X and high frequency dropouts some time in the mid-80's, so I switched to Denon HD7 for a few years. The current SA-X is just fine.

TDK always produced the best results on the narrow track cassette format. Reel-to-reel is another story, but as for cassette TDK rules in my opinion.

Tim

Thanks
    I got the below from a site (can't remember which one) and it's supposed to be a review of cassettes by Consumer Reports magazine. I don't know when these were done though. The SM-X was ommitted 'cause I suppose they were rating consumer and not pro tapes. What surprised me is that the TDK SA-X was rated better than the much praised Sony UX-Pro. Here are the results:

BRAND PRICE SCORE

TDK SA-X $3.75 87
    FUJI DR-II $2.00 84
    MAXELL XLIIS $3.25 83
    SONY ES II $2.25 83
    SONY UX TURBO $2.50 82
    SONY UX-PRO $4.00 81
    BASF CHROME $2.25 79
    MAXELL XLII $2.75 79
    FUJI FR-IIX $2.00 78
    TDK SD $2.50 78
    FUJI FR-IIXPRO $1.75 76
    TDK SA $2.75 76
    DENON HD6 $2.25 75
    REALISTIC M-II $4.75 75
    DENON S-PORT $2.25 74
    REALISTIC HD $1.75 74
    SONY ES II(100) $3.25 74
    TDK SA (100) $2.75 74
    3M BLACK WATCH $3.50 73
    DENON HD8 $3.25 72
    SONY CD it $2.00 72
    SONY UX $2.75 71
    DENON HD7 $3.00 69
    MEMOREX HBS II $2.25 68

Thanks

Re: TDK

Originally posted by Beck
    I agree, it's SM-X. Too bad TDK stopped making the 60-minute length. SA-X or just SA also produce great results. The tape in the SM-X and SA-X are the same, but the SM-X has improvements in the mechanism.

I've tried about everything there is/was since the early 80's in a Tascam 244 and then 246, which I still own. I did have some trouble with SA-X and high frequency dropouts some time in the mid-80's, so I switched to Denon HD7 for a few years. The current SA-X is just fine.

TDK always produced the best results on the narrow track cassette format. Reel-to-reel is another story, but as for cassette TDK rules in my opinion.

Tim
    What difference in sound quality did you observe between the TDK SA-X and the others .. as it especially relates to the 244 & 246, which I also own. I'm especially interested at the differences in quality between the Maxell XL-II and the TDK SA-X. Also, how, may I ask, do you know that the tape is the same on the TDK SA-X and the SM-X cassettes ?

Thanks,

Daniel

phototiger is offline Newbie
    Thanks

Wink I have used and also sell many great recording tapes

I have used on my recordings many great tapes and I also sell them at my e bay store: ebaytape.com ;0}

Ritzy is offline Registered (Ab)User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phototiger View Post
    I have used on my recordings many great tapes and I also sell them at my e bay store: ebaytape.com ;0}

TinNedd is offline Junior Member
    Thanks
    I always prefered Maxel XL-11's. Anyone tried Trident?

Thread Information