Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: beginner reel to reel????

beginner reel to reel????

Sign in to disable this ad
    well, im not a reel to reel user, yet. I would really like to start recording this way. I was wondering if anyone can tell me a good reel to reel deck that would be great for a beginner such as myself? and what are some things I might want to look out for when looking for a deck?
    we exist

it sounds like the tascam 32 is popular and great! might this be along the lines of what i am searching for?
    we exist

cjacek is offline Analogue Enthusiast
    What would you be using it for ? What are your goals ? Are you a guitar and voice type of guy with a minimalist approach or do you need more flexibility ?

In order for us to tell you what you should be searching for, you need to tell us what you are looking to do and what your expectations are with regards to sound, mixing, tweaking, overdubbing, portability, components vs all-in-one designs etc ...

Used, older analog gear is very inexpensive and so getting somethin' which seems "too much product" may not be a bad idea.

ok. Im not much of a singer, so im not going to be singing really. Im think maybe a 2 or 4 track recorder just incase I want to record a jam with a friend. I will want to record distorted guitar from time to time of course. And bass. I wouldnt need to do alot to record, proboly just setup up one to two mics. hmm, i think thats it.
    we exist

A couple of things I'd argue for buying used is always doing it locally and seeing and checking the gear in person. My personal recommendation would be to use eBay for lighter, less prone to damage and bad packing items or at the very least be 110% certain that the seller on the other end is selling you a fully functional item and knows how to pack. If you're unsure, leave it alone and don't take the guy's word for it. Another thing is servicing. All older gear needs a tune up to bring it up to spec. That's just the nature of the beast. If there are no major issues with the machine, fugure about $200/$250 in additional expenses for a "full alignment". If parts need to be ordered in then figure more $$. Sure, many people buy their 20 year recorders and start tracking immediately but stuff doesn't sound as it could when gear is brought up to spec. It may sound and work great but not as good as when it left the factory. All things after so many years need to be alligned mechanically and electronically.

yeah, thats my problem with ebay. not being able to see up close what your buying. sure I see some recorders for as cheap as $50, and some nice looking ones for $500. But I really dont know what or who is on the other end. I am going to assume that tuning a recorder up myself might not be easy, it would be nice to do so myself, save a bit of cash. So it looks like I am just going to check around locally then for a recorder.
    we exist

Seeker of Rock is offline The One and Only
    Hey, let's not knock ebay now. I spent only about $2000 plus dollars on my MSR, that still doesn't have a working NR. Sorry, couldn't resist
    Yeah, if you do go ebay, limit how much you spend so in case you get a dud, you still may make out OK after repairs. Sounds like you want a 4 track or 8 track. If you get a reel to reel, you will need a board to mix your signals from the tracks and, unless you have a preamp/recording channel, to input your signal to. You can still get a fairly inexpensive setup, or if you want something easier, an all-in-one reel to reel recorder, look into this. It's a TASCAM 388 currently on ebay, an all-in-one board/1/4" reel to reel recorder. However you decide to slice it, analog will give you a great recorded sound.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Bob View Post
    I do this for a living and I wouldn't choose to use a POS over any of my other 14 guitars

snipeguy is offline Andy Goldsworthy Wannabe
    Teac 3340 or 3440. Both are great 4 track machines. Careful though, once go to analogue you'll never be the same.
    Quite frankly, I'd rather just go sailing.

http://www.myspace.com/harripalm

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker of Rock
    Hey, let's not knock ebay now. I spent only about $2000 plus dollars on my MSR, that still doesn't have a working NR. Sorry, couldn't resist
    Yeah, if you do go ebay, limit how much you spend so in case you get a dud, you still may make out OK after repairs. Sounds like you want a 4 track or 8 track. If you get a reel to reel, you will need a board to mix your signals from the tracks and, unless you have a preamp/recording channel, to input your signal to. You can still get a fairly inexpensive setup, or if you want something easier, an all-in-one reel to reel recorder, look into this. It's a TASCAM 388 currently on ebay, an all-in-one board/1/4" reel to reel recorder. However you decide to slice it, analog will give you a great recorded sound.
    Well ebay isnt a horrible way of obtaining gear! i have bought proboly about $300 in gear through it! but yeah, thats a niiiice looking mixer! its a bit huge, but looks real nice. I probaly shouldnt have, but I swooped up a cheap little 5 channel behringer mixer, it works for my current setup, but if I get a reel to reel, something like that tascam 388. it looks as though it could definately do a good job. I have heard about those being pretty reliable boards.
    thanks!
    we exist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information