Audio Technica AT-RMX64 troubles

skyscape

Hey guys,

So I recently picked up an Audio Technica AT-RMX64 Mixer/Recording system and there are several issues I've discovered.

• Channel 3 produces an almost inaudible level of sound, even with all its levels maxed.
  • Channel 4 has a very loud humming
  • And finally, the Cassette deck is essentially nonresponsive. Pressing "Play" causes the drive to turn a quarter of a rotation before giving up. Unlike the other instances of a similair issue on this forum, The head never engages the cassette at all. The "Fast Forward" and "Rewind" buttons do nothing at all. When a cassette is inserted, the capstan revs up and continues to constantly spin until the cassette is removed, regardless of whether or not any transport commands have been issued.

I would really love to get this working and I'm fairly certain that the problem with Channels 3/4 involves crosstalking and/or feedback/lack of proper grounding, but I have no idea what's wrong with the tape deck. I'm pretty much at my wits end when it comes to repairing it and I would appreciate any feedback.

Regarding the transport issues, I believe those are related to degraded rubber cam drive wheels which are no longer giving the grip and traction that's needed to get those transport functions working. Get those replaced and perhaps check out Dr. Zee's website on how to do that on a TASCAM Portastudio, but is similar in design to your AT unit.

About the channel level issues, I don't have info on that...sorry.

Cheers! :)

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I'm a bit of a noob at this. Where can I find the rubber cam drive and what does it do?

Idler wheels are sort of like car tires. They provide the traction to drive the spindles that move the tape during play and fast wind operations.

Dr. Zee, a member here, put out a pictorial explanation of how to do this repair on a 244 Portastudio. If you study the pictures carefully, you'll get a better idea of what to look for on your AT deck.

View attachment 88613

Cheers! :)

Back