Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alignment tool, tweaker

cjacek is offline Analogue Enthusiast

Question Alignment tool, tweaker

Sign in to disable this ad
    Guys,

I have a bit of an issue....

The plastic alignment tools that I bought last year don't seem to work at all on my latest acquisition, the TASCAM 48-OB.

The tools don't fit the 'tape tension' adjustment pots [photos attached]. I tried to make one from a credit card [it fit] but it was impossible to turn [tight fitting]. I need recommendations on what to buy. I don't necessarily wanna go plastic but something which won't pass static or possibly fry the electronics. Any ideas?

Thanks!

----
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    I think if your album is good and your live act is even better... that's when you know you're listening to one of the greatest musicians/bands of all time.

mamm7215 is offline Dedicated Member
    SMI Electronics in Langley has what you want, I think. I got a package of little plastic screwdrivers and adjustments (asst. sizes) for about 9 or 11 dollars. Looks like you need a plastic-tipped Phillips for those adjustments on your 48.

http://www.smi-elec.com/
    Tascam TSR-8

Yeah, I've got the same set of those plastic assorted 'alignment' screwdrivers but none of them is the Phillips type.

I called the place you suggest but they don't have the Phillips. In fact, I also called RP Electronics and The Source and nothing...

I'd like to get something on line, if possible. This would save me a lot of time.

Remind me, do you have a 48 yourself?

Anyway, thanks for replying.

-----
    I think if your album is good and your live act is even better... that's when you know you're listening to one of the greatest musicians/bands of all time.

sweetbeats is offline Reel deep thoughts...
    Daniel,

Man that's a crisp looking deck!

Did you check Parts Express?

They've got a lot of different stuff, wide product scope but not as deep in some areas, but I know they have tech tools for video applications and there might be something there that works...check it out.

_brian_ is offline Dedicated Member
    What's wrong with earthing a run of the mill flat ended screwdriver & using that? Just clip a crocodile clip onto the case of your recorder & onto the screwdriver.

Buy the way that is a pristine machine, i'm completely jealous
    The Adding Machine

dementedchord is offline Psychotic State alumni ch
    Quote Originally Posted by _brian_ View Post
    What's wrong with earthing a run of the mill flat ended screwdriver & using that? Just clip a crocodile clip onto the case of your recorder & onto the screwdriver.

Buy the way that is a pristine machine, i'm completely jealous
    it may be different here... but i dont think that static is the issue here... it's most probably interference with magnetic resonances... i would run into similar problems with the master oscillators in old organs and such...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

evm1024 is offline 1K Silver Member

Tried them all

Well I almost tried them all.

I tend to use a bamboo shish-ka-bob skewer that I shape with sand paper for each use. It is soft enough to give when the force is too high. When it wears out or does not quite fit I reshape it on the sand paper and have a pristine blade as needed. Plus It is cheap and we have 50 of them in the kitchen.

My other tweakers are always moving to some small, dark , corner unknown to me.

Plus in need you can actually put shrimp on them and fire up the BBQ....

-_Ethan
    In Sunny Vancouver ..... (Washington)

_brian_ is offline Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
    it may be different here... but i dont think that static is the issue here... it's most probably interference with magnetic resonances... i would run into similar problems with the master oscillators in old organs and such...
    yeah, but the thread starter voiced his concern about "frying the electronics" with static, & that's how you'd eliminate that concern. As for magnetic problems , can't see that being an issue either, i mean it's a plastic pot he's adjusting. Magnetism's only really a problem around the tape path is it not?
    The Adding Machine

dementedchord is offline Psychotic State alumni ch
    actually haveing just reread the original post... it's the tensioning adjustments... right??? shouldn't be an issue at all as i see it... as to the rest of it... going just from personal experience... while being careful is always a concern i've never really needed a grounded driver for working on hot stuff... i would worry more about accendently grounding something i shouldn't.... and i do find it necessary to use plastic types on occasion because of inductence and parasitic capacitence issues...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks guys.

I did some research and found these:

http://www.powermost.com/ceramic-adjster-01.htm
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672895

The first one seems more like the one I'd get but the 2nd link shows some nice ones as well, not ceramic / plastic but insulated so I guess it'd be fine... Problem is that I don't know if they're magnetic or not..

---

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information