TS 808 build help

For panel artwork, I am looking into this stuff: Texascraft.com - The eCommerce store of Papilio, manufacturer of specialty Inkjet and Laser media

This material is apparently not reliant on a laser printer that uses fuser oil, as the popular Lazertrans does.

I've got a few interesting projects on the go - the PRR vari-mu compressor as mentioned above, for one.

I'm also going to build Joe Malone's (JLM Audio) Baby Animal Dual (BAD) preamp, with his MAC optical compressor built in as well. The BAD has a 2-stage gain structure, and the compressor (which will be bypassable) will sit between the gain stages. With Carnhill transformers on input and output, and 2 discrete opamps per channel, I think the tone should be pretty nice.

Sounds good Paul i'll look it up when i get back from work.
Thanks for the decal tip off too.
Its looking like learning waterslide decal is going to be one of my only options for decoration. I have a plan to keep decoration stylistic but sparse. I just got the draft for the logo artwork last night and it looks so cool. I've got an excellant cartoonist on the job. Cant wait to see final artworks
thanks Paul

I really wanted to get my panels laser etched. Sadly, the one-off prices for laser etching that I can get done locally were simply unacceptable. Even Front Panel Express is not that cost effective. For my project budget, I prioritize toward components rather than cosmetics. But I still want the project to look good!

The water decal is, I think, a great alternative by which you can get really clean graphics, and baking it on makes for a durable finish. You can cover it with a layer of lacquer as well.

With a drill press, I find I can drill quite accurately if I use a template on the panel, carefully centre punch, then drill a 2.5mm pilot hole. From there I can drill to size with a normal drill, or I use a stepped drill to make holes for XLRs.

I have just got a set of 3 step drills for the job. I have an old drill press and a table vice to hold the box steady.
I was thinking i'd make plastic see through sheet templates to mark out the pot and lug holes, Jack socket holes and DC sockets and switch hole too.
I think im gonna go the decal route.
Laser etching is not possible on my aluminium boxs as the laser reflects back.
Which is a shame as i think it would look cool.
I have a plan to get some steel multi effects boxs made that could be etched however.. Price dependant.
I'm not really looking forward to learning the art of decal work but its a must. I dont know if i will bother to bake them on . just varnish them with clear coat after they dry.

For panel artwork, I am looking into this stuff: Texascraft.com - The eCommerce store of Papilio, manufacturer of specialty Inkjet and Laser media

This material is apparently not reliant on a laser printer that uses fuser oil, as the popular Lazertrans does.

I've got a few interesting projects on the go - the PRR vari-mu compressor as mentioned above, for one.

Where (if) did you get boards for your PRR Vari-mu? I have a couple from a guy in India (dinesh) and I think the original breadboarding and artwork was done by a guy in Australia. I can't find tube sockets with pins narrow enough for those boards so have a kludge. I don't have all the parts for that build yet. I did get some nice Jensen 1:1 transformers for it though.

I used some pens with a stencil once on primer paint and then varnished over that. The primer was rough enough to take the ink. I did something similar with clear laser printer labels cutting them very close to the print, and then varnishing over those. It looks ok as long as you don't look too closely.

I haven't used Front Panel Express, but they are only three hours away from me. I have played around with the designer though, and you can get some wide variation on prices depending upon if you etch vs. just print.

Hi Blue Jinn!

The pcb I have is from AC Sound: AC Sound PRR-176 Vari-Mu Tube Compressor Rev. 2

I bought these tube sockets: New Ceramic 9 Pin Vacuum Tube Socket PC Mount Valve | eBay

and these tube retainers (not sure if I need them though?):4pc Tube Retainer Holder for 9pin Valve 12AX7 12AU7 12AT7 ECC82 Fender 40 | eBay

I am not quite decided on transformers. I have the recommended Lundahl LL1540 for the interstage. For input, I have Edcor PCW 10k:10k I can use, but I also have a pair of Carnhill VTB9046M. For output, I will likely use Edcors.

The basic circuit is the same. The project I am building is the compilation of various mods which build on PRR's original circuit.

You will find some info here and here.

When AC first came up with that I couldn't get the schematic to print out legibly, so I stopped looking! Mmmmh. He's currenlty out of PCB's.

If I could ever figure out how to use Eagle, I'd like to do a layout for the older (simpler) circuit. There are also a bunch of mods to it. I put together an entire handbook on it!

Back