The Celebrity Obituary Thread

I thought he was already dead. or in jail. or both.
It's officially "both" now, though not "already" and I guess not simultaneously, as they took him to the hospital from jail.

Really, miserable ending but from reading and watching documentaries or maybe docu-dramas, he was pretty far out there at the end of his creative career.

Sylvain Sylvain of The New York Dolls.

Phil Spector was a musical genius. He's brought joy to millions of people. His music is timeless. He's also a convicted murderer who spent the last decade in prison.

If you believe in heaven and hell, where is Phil going?

Despicable man.....but genius producer IMO. I know it's been stated over and over....but his "wall of sound" approach was absolutely a game changer. It always felt sort of "inspirational" to me. It influences even my own work to this day....though I've never been able to really get that "sound" into my work.

Going to hell for sure though. Straight there.

Know who Phil was, but don't know who he was at the time of his death...Can't judge him to Heaven or Hell, that's God's place. I know he murdered Lana, but I still believe in repentance. Maybe one way, maybe the other. If you believe in such, maybe you'll see him wherever you get to. lol

his "wall of sound" approach was absolutely a game changer
I have mixed feelings about this because while it was innovative for its time, the progression of tracks in multitracking rather rendered his method redundant. The wall of sound was great when there was 3, 4 and maybe even 8 track recording {which America had long before the UK}. Once beyond that, there were other ways of building sound and it's interesting that his method ceased to be looked at as a viable way or standard practice, rather, it was seen as an "of its time" thing, a bit like that Beatle stereo thing of the voices on one side, the instruments on the other.

I have mixed feelings about this because while it was innovative for its time, the progression of tracks in multitracking rather rendered his method redundant. The wall of sound was great when there was 3, 4 and maybe even 8 track recording {which America had long before the UK}. Once beyond that, there were other ways of building sound and it's interesting that his method ceased to be looked at as a viable way or standard practice, rather, it was seen as an "of its time" thing, a bit like that Beatle stereo thing of the voices on one side, the instruments on the other.

I heard he murdered some woman and went to prison. Sounded like a nutcase to me.

I heard he murdered some woman and went to prison. Sounded like a nutcase to me.

Lana Clarkson was in a bunch of B rated flicks like the Deathstalker series. The great boobs and sword play movies of the 80's. Swords and sandals or whatever you call em.

Phil, promised her he could make her a star. But he wanted her power for himself. So he tricked her into his man cave and shot her face. With a hole in her face, he could then suck out her powers. Vampires.

Screenshot 2021-01-19 124644.jpg

Probably starting a discussion I shouldn't, I never got into the wall of sound thing, I always found it muddy and confusing in the mix. The idea was great and innovative, but I think the problem was the technology of the time where you had low track count and were constantly bouncing tracks did not help. I'm not talking about the actual songs as they were great songs, just the production. If Phil had what we had now the true genius would really shine. But he was a nut case LOL.

Let It Be was the worst sounding Beatles album ever. Compare it to Abby Road, which was recorded after Let it Be but released before Let It Be, thank goodness they went back to George Martin.

Alan

Let It Be was the worst sounding Beatles album ever
I've never thought of it that way. I think Phil Spector gets a real bad press for it but as far as John Lennon was concerned, he saved that rambling pile of junk. And none of the Beatles at the time sanctioned Glyn John's version, which is why it was shelved and they did Abbey Road instead. They were trying to get back to their early days of recording an album live but found that after all the sophistication and experimentation from late '64 to then, they couldn't do it. They had gotten spoiled in "cheating."
That said, I've longloved the Let it be album. I think it's got some of their best work and despite Spector's touch, "Across the universe" and "The long and winding road" {my little brother used to call it "The Long And"} to me remain beautiful songs as they are on the album.
Compare it to Abby Road, which was recorded after Let it Be but released before Let It Be
Mind you, in terms of pure clarity of sound, all of the Beatles' albums are lesser than Abbey Road. It was that 8 track recorder, I tell you ! ;)
thank goodness they went back to George Martin.
It's no coincidence though, that Lennon left within a month of its release, the band broke up for good soon after and Harrison and Lennon had already moved away from George Martin in their solo stuff long before the break up {from '68} and neither used him again and Ringo only used him on his first solo album which came out before the official break up.

Man...I'm such a big Beatles fan....as you can maybe tell by my avatar.....I can't rate or critique or criticize any of the Beatles work. That's just me. I have studied their production work and have loved the evolution from the early left right stereo placements of vocals etc......to the last stuff done by George Martin. To be honest.....it was much later that I learned that Phil Spector had anything to do with Let it Be. I too love that album and it's overall sound. It's as Beatles as any other IMO.

Mick

If using left/right stereo and a 'wall of sound' or multi-track recordings is new and fits being used in the production. Then because it was 'new' it is regarded as revolutionary.

Then why is it frowned on later? I dont understand.

I was not frowning on it, the point I was trying to make was it was so ahead of its time that the recording equipment did not do it justice. Therefore I always thought it was a muddy and confusing mix. I should also say that this was not the case with all of the songs, some were better than others.

Alan

From my memories, most people (UK) never even had stereo record players until around 1970 onwards and they were very basic. I remember the little mono players being sold well into the 70's. So my point is ...... nobody could hear much of a difference anyway. I think most 'pop' radio in the UK was AM well into the 70's.

You lucky Americans probably had the technology a lot sooner and could tell the difference in sound quality music productions.

From my memories, most people (UK) never even had stereo record players until around 1970 onwards and they were very basic. I remember the little mono players being sold well into the 70's. So my point is ...... nobody could hear much of a difference anyway. I think most 'pop' radio in the UK was AM well into the 70's.

You lucky Americans probably had the technology a lot sooner and could tell the difference in sound quality music productions.

A bit like today where everything ends up on MP3 LOL.

Growing up in the 60's, I listened to everything on AM car radios and small home record players - so any stereo stuff was lost on me. Parents had the Hi-Fi Stereo in the living room for their music and I only ever got to play Christmas albums on that (Andy WIlliams, Perry Como, Bing, The 'Whatever' Singers, etc.).

None of us bar Phil and God can say. I don't know where he stood with God or his true mental condition or responsibility concept.

Let's face facts: we're ALL going to hell (providing there is one). I do not know one person that I'd say doesn't sin on a regular basis. I know I'm gonna be real hot when I drop dead. Yet, I'm kind of looking forward to something new.

Back