Oktava MC012 knockoffs on ebay

mmistudent

I found a pair of MC-012's on ebay the other day.. they had the plastic clip and everything consistant with the chineese version of the mics... so I sent the seller an email.. just to let him know that he may have a pair of bogus mic's on his hands.

My email:
"It looks like those mic's you have are fakes. Guitar Center has been unknowingly selling chineese made knockoffs for the past year (because the distributor is a crook). I urge you to look at this: http://oktava.tula.net/fake/ this is a link to the russian factory's website, and explains how to spot a fake."

His reply:
Hi! Thanks for your concern,and don't take it personal but I kinda like to believe more Guitar Center then some guy from the internet. Even IF,one more time: IF you are right, they are as good as Russians, I did check every one of them( I have a bunch) I'd say China is probably more reliable then Russian quality anyway. Both chip labor so I don't see the point of making "fake" $100 mics. It's not like it is Neumans or AKG etc.

Personally.. I don't see how lower quality parts would equal a lower quality mic, would you??

wow, that really sucks.....i almost feel like i should email the bidders or something, but I'm not sure it's my buisness

mmistudent said:
they went for $305!! I emailed the buyer warning him.

Even though you're trying to be helpful, that's auction interference, and you can be kicked off eBay for doing it.

You can try reporting the auctions to eBay, but unless Octava registers under eBay's Verified Rights Owner program, they probably aren't going to do anything about it.

mshilarious said:
Even though you're trying to be helpful, that's auction interference, and you can be kicked off eBay for doing it.

You can try reporting the auctions to eBay, but unless Octava registers under eBay's Verified Rights Owner program, they probably aren't going to do anything about it.

I'll keep that in mind next time

mshilarious said:

I guarantee ebay won't do anything about it unless they absolutely have to, just as long as they get their listing fee. :rolleyes:

If I remember correctly, the knock offs should (could) be better than the originals. I heard the capsules are the same Tula's but the electronics are better components and they include the Scott Dorsey mods. Russia has a notorious problem with sourcing quality components at a good price. Russia's quality control is all over the map as is China's. If A.F. Mcay (sp?) tests and inspects the mics they should be fine. That is of course you can trust A.F. Mcay?

Some of the issues mentioned in the link provided in the first post are not that big of a deal.

It would be interesting to hear how they sound and if they are consistant to each other.

NWSM

I can't see the two sounding the same considering the components used to build the chineese ones are different. I think labeling it the oktava mc012 is very misleading considering the great reputation the origianls have.

mshilarious said:

i sent an email to a buyer on one auction that was selling a 2 year old mg10/2 for 89 bucks and 11 shipping.

he never answered me back but i didnt think of it as interference as much as i thought that i was saving a guy some piece of mind

distortedrumble said:
i sent an email to a buyer on one auction that was selling a 2 year old mg10/2 for 89 bucks and 11 shipping.

he never answered me back but i didnt think of it as interference as much as i thought that i was saving a guy some piece of mind

yeah.... and all I said was: I recommend you look at this website (the one I mentioned to the seller).

I never said, don't pay this guy or you got ripped off. I let the buyer be the judge. I can't see that being a problem... espeically since I brought up the fact that the mics might be questionable to the seller, and he turned the other way and never mentioned it on the auction. I've also noticed the reputable oktava dealers on ebay putting a warning on thier auctions telling people to be weary of the fakes.

mmistudent said:
I can't see the two sounding the same considering the components used to build the chineese ones are different. I think labeling it the oktava mc012 is very misleading considering the great reputation the origianls have.

The seller should be honest as to the origin of these mics. That is not debatable. The real bad guy is the company that ripped off Oktava.

The sound of these mics, if the stories are true, could be better than the Russian version. I don't know of any reputation these mics have except for being decent SD mics for the money. I certainly wouldn't buy them. Also everyone I know who has them modified them anyway.

The sound of these two mics are not going to be drasticly different just from stuffing higher quality components, changing a few capacitor types, and maybe changing the very high value resistors out. Every cheap chinease mic I know of benefits from these type of mods. Why not the Oktava's?

I am still curious to how this plays out. I would like to hear a A/B of these two mics.

NWSM

Kevin DeSchwazi said:
I guarantee ebay won't do anything about it unless they absolutely have to, just as long as they get their listing fee. :rolleyes:

Sellers pay the fees, and if the seller finds out and complains, yeah they will do something. They are very responsive to sellers. Buyers they ignore :eek:

The first offence is just a nastygram though.

mshilarious said:
Sellers pay the fees, and if the seller finds out and complains, yeah they will do something. They are very responsive to sellers. Buyers they ignore :eek:

The first offence is just a nastygram though.

I think it would be easy to contest this though condsidering all I sent the buyer was the URL to a website.

nwsoundman said:
The sound of these mics, if the stories are true, could be better than the Russian version. I don't know of any reputation these mics have except for being decent SD mics for the money. I certainly wouldn't buy them. Also everyone I know who has them modified them anyway.

i'm sure the new ones sound just like u87's :D

i received my matched pair with RUSSIAN manual and spect sheet, pretty funny, don't understand a word of it but it sure looks REAL :)

i find it even impressive that i got some russian mics now, and they work just fine, never had any chinese, so can't compare the quality difference...

Back