Behringer may have just taken the lead in "Best Bang/buck" mics

Re: You guys are crazy! lol

Vance Dylan said:
I just read thru this entire thread and hearing you guys talk about the wives and gear....I was on the floor laughing. I'm sort of lucky where my wife is an assistant producer at a radio station here and last week she came home from a shopping spree with a Rode NTK.Good Job Honey! lol

I did have to resort to some shananigans when I got an 01V. We had a TMD1000 for a few months...didn't like it and want a new mixer so when we did production for radio at home with the wife I would drive a little nasty 1kz notch in her cans. She asked why it sounded like crap. I replied...we need a new mixer baby. After a few weeks we had the 01V...lol

Vance
www.sonicvalley.com

Pssst Vance................"Q again check's to see if his wife is listening.................."

Does your wife have a unmarried sister who works in radio!!?!

MISTERQCUE said:

I'm lazy! That looks like too much work!! Besides, wouldn't the parts and housing alone cost more than $35 !!?? It's just better to buy the d@mn thing for us laid-back folks!!

Maybe, but at the rate everyone here are buying these babies
they'll sone be gone...
Besides, who needs a housing? Hehe...

Seriously I've been thinking of making some special design
for stereomiking acoustic guitar.

I must have got the last one cause I ordered 2 and only have one comming tomarrow.
And you might know that I have a session with a girl playing acoustic on sunday

Attachments

• studio2.jpg
    studio2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 360
As I am not one for being left out of a party, I ordered one over the weekend. It arrived today. I was busy setting up for a session tomorrow but still had to plug it in and give it a whirl. I recorded a couple of tracks of me messing around with a couple of different acoustics.

1st was an old Hondo classical someone gave me. I just had put new strings on it and was having a bit of trouble keeping it in tune but I liked what it did on this kind of thin sounding guitar. Up close on the guitar it did a nice job. I ran it through my Soundtracs Topaz to my Digi 001. I gave it a ton of gain and played very softly to get some sense of how quiet it was. No problem here. Much quieter than I thought it was going to be.

2nd I tried a Gibson acoustic. I did not like it as much as my 451 here but it had a lot less boom in close. (could be just what I'm used to) A little too close and it had a bit too much bite but agin a lot of gain and very good results for a very cheap mic.

Unfortunately I can't play and drive at the same time so I had to record in the control room. With this much gain you can hear the computer fans so I did have a bit of a noise floor already. Still, the sense I got was it will more than serve duty for a couple of applications. I do a lot of live recordings and have thought of getting Earthworks SRO's for the audience mics. I just always have something else to purchase. Besides I hate to spend that kind of money on clapping and laughter. I have been using 603's (thanks Harvey) but would prefer to put a couple of omnis up instead. I'll get to compare the two on Friday night.

Don Goguen
Folk Cafe Productions

Folkcafe.com

Ok Harvey, it's Thursday!!! Good Morning! Wash up and brush your teeth! Have a cup of coffee & and buttered roll! Get dressed!
Wait for the UPS del'y man!!!.............Then HEAD ON DOWN TO THE STOO-DEE-O for your A/B/C/D tests of the 8000 and your
scientifical findings!

Patiently awaiting your comments..........................

Could this mic be used to record background vocals, like, if had 2 or 3 vocalists per mic? Or am I looking for a different mic? Everybody is so excited about these it seems.

Vice

Yo viceversa, check out my previous post! Now, I'm no vocalist
by no means, but the mic sure has lot's of hi end! I don't think it would be a good mic for vocals or even "spoken word". Dead-aim
mic positioning of amps and certain acoustics along with kit overheads seem to be the applications of choice for this particular mic!

However, my experimentation was very limited as I did not want my wif-ee to see it and question me about where did I get extra $$$ to buy new mic's from! (from my daughters scholarship fund, where else!!)

MISTERQCUE said:
I did not want my wif-ee to see it and question me about where did I get extra $$$ to buy new mic's from! (from my daughters scholarship fund, where else!!)

Mr. Q, LMAO!

(from my daughters scholarship fund, where else!!)

i dont have kids, so i like taking money outta my wifes "shoe/clothes fund"

hell..i'll have my own record co. b4 long lol...

Absolutely!

Harvey Gerst said:
That just shows the power of the Internet. I've recommended a few products before, based on my evaluations, and I learned that sales went thru the roof right after posting my findings - and stayed there.

In this case, I think homerecording.com wiped out 8th Street Music's stock of these mics.

I talked to Randy @ 8th Street Music today, they placed 2 emergency shipments on the ECM8000 due to the overwhelming response.

While he had me on the phone he said he had to ask why all of a sudden was there so much interest on this mic? (they had 5 in stock that no one wanted 2 weeks ago) They viewed them as "test" mics , but he did realize that they were similar in their "accuracy" to earthworks stuff.
(Please, no big debate here, I am just relaying a story)

I let him know that the power of the internet (+ Harvey's Jedi Master status) and the idea of dirt cheap overheads was too good to pass up.

So take heart my compatriots, they will be back in stock and ready to fill orders within the week!

YAY!!!!!
This gives me time to see how everyones test results come out.

nP

Here is a test

Ok boys I put up a mp3 of the mic with it in front of my Drum kit

the set up is the mic 2 feet in front of the kick at 4.5 feet high

I also miced with a ksm32 and a audiotechnica in the same spot
to give you something to compare it to.
The files are about 300k each

Please excuse my crap sounding Kit and very bad playing

I used a sytek preamp going into a Gadget labs sound card
All mics where recorded at the same level input on the preamp
http://www.geocities.com/herm1953/

Have fun

They're here !!

Okay, they arrived around 1:30 this afternoon, and I've been listening to them for about an hour now. So far, they are identical to the Audix TR-40, except in 3 areas: They're silver, not black, they have gold XLR contacts, and they say Behringer on the barrel, not Audix. The plastic storage box is almost identical to the Audix as well (except a little taller). Listening to the self noise and sensitivity, they seem to be absolutely identical to the Audix TR-40.

I ran them thru both channels of a Great River MP-2 preamp, which has stepped, matched inputs. I manually switched the GR outputs into one channel (insert) of the Topaz, to eliminate possible channel differences. This bypasses the mic pre and the EQ section of the Topaz.

When my son Alex comes in tonight, we'll try it on some different instruments. There seems to be a slight difference between the two Behringers units, but it's so slight, I have difficulty pinpointing it during my informal testing right now, or even confirming it exists at all. I'll know a lot more when we listen to them on music, but for now, I'd hafta say that the Behringer ECM8000, at $35 each, is a must have for anybody's mic locker.

These are close to a diffused field reference mic, so you might want to NOT point it directly at some sources, like acoustic guitars or singers. That advice doesn't apply to drums. More to come.

I just shelled out $79 for the Behringer Autocom, so I scraping up pennies to get my pair.....Id check under Slack's couch but that might scare me......I think Im gonna have a yard sale this weekend and sell some of my wife's shoes.....

Ok, I just caught your post Harvey...I must have a pair now and the guy at a local store wont let them go for less than $43 (his old cost)....what the hell, i may do it anyway...helluva nice guy....hes go about 10 of them sitting in the backroom if anyone wants em:

contact
Wascom
Mark's Music
25671 LA HWY. 16
Denham Springs, LA 70726
(225)664-0537

I just called Mars Music and they have them in stock but there still $79.95 a piece.I don't really want to go to guitar center Harvey do you think it is safe to go to GC?

Monty,

Originally posted by nezpierce
I talked to Randy @ 8th Street Music today, they placed 2 emergency shipments on the ECM8000 due to the overwhelming response.
You could just wait until they get their shipments in.......that's what I'm gonna do.

Thanks for the review (and the up coming reviews) Harvey.

-tkr

Back