The Guitar Tone and Mix Thread

That's sounds good 3M. Very old school crunch, reminds me of the Rocky Horror soundtrack. So you have the full power Mark V? I'm pretty new to Boogies, never having played one until I bought the Mark 5:25 in October. It's definitely a darker tone that what I was used to. They seem to be really midrangy, a bit nasally even. The trick to dialing them in seems to be to counteract that tendency without scooping too much.

I am not finding much use for the crunch mode of channel 1 so far. Mine just has too much gain no matter what I do. I've been using the fat mode for single coils, clean mode for humbuckers. The latter combination have given me the best crunch tones I've seen from this amp so far.

Listening back today, that clip is a little too raw for what I'm going for. I'll put up another one more in line with what I want.

Yeah I have the full Mark V. But the combo - not the stack.

I also find that overall it has just too much gain. I find it difficult to use the Mark II and Mark IV channels - everything comes out a mush of gain. I like the Crunch channel though.

Nice thread, fellas.
Going to keep it on-track for a while to help get it off the ground!

The forum has user-tagging now if that's useful to you. Typing @Steenamaroo gives that user a 'mentioned' notification.

Keep rockin'...or acousticin'......or whatever!

Here is the same guitar part as yesterday, done Marshall crunch-style.

MesaCrunch.wav - Google Drive

The details... Les Paul, bridge pickup.
-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 10

Marshall DSL40C, green crunch.
-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 5
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 7
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, at the edge of the dustcap.

I'm going to re-do that Mesa clip from yesterday.

For some reason, reminds me again of the Rocky Horror soundtrack. It's just got that old school garage vibe. Depending on the mix, I might want to boost the mids and the master volume.

Thanks Robus. Still trying to find time to re-do the Mark V clip.

Yeah I can see where you could hear a Rocky Horror song with that clip. I think when I get the song done though, it's not going to sound like that vibe. But we'll see.

One last Mesa Crunch clip. Kind of similar to the previous one, but a bit more low end and not so much hi midrange.

MesaCrunch2.wav - Google Drive

Les Paul - bridge pickup
-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 8

Mesa Mk V - Crunch
-- Gain - 3.5
-- Master - 4
-- Presence - 3.5
-- Treble - 6
-- Mid - 4
-- Bass - 4

Graphic EQ on
-- big boost at 80
-- little cut at 750
-- little boost at 6600
-- other sliders flat

SM57 - on grill, pointed straight, on edge of dustcap

Gonna do one more clip on the Marshall

Yeah, I'm curious to hear the mix. I'm surprised you're getting that much preamp distortion with gain set to 3.5. What happens if you leave the gain where it is and push up the master volume, like a lot?

Yeah, I'm curious to hear the mix. I'm surprised you're getting that much preamp distortion with gain set to 3.5. What happens if you leave the gain where it is and push up the master volume, like a lot?

I don't know what it is with me. I guess it's playing style? But I always get way more distortion than other guys. And it happens on multiple amps, so it's not an amp problem. It's not a good thing because it's difficult to keep the mushiness and fizz out of the guitar sound.

I'm with Robus. I'd like to hear what that would sound like with all things being equal and the Master at 8 or 9...It's just lacking that ballsy Mesa sound. Push some air and let's hear it. :D

Same clip, 2nd time with the Marshall DSL40c. Just two differences: bass dialed down by 2 and moved the mic slightly closer to the center of the speaker. Rather large difference considering.

MshlCrunch2.wav - Google Drive

-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 5
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, just insidethe dustcap.

Same clip, 2nd time with the Marshall DSL40c. Just two differences: bass dialed down by 2 and moved the mic slightly closer to the center of the speaker. Rather large difference considering.

MshlCrunch2.wav - Google Drive

-- Volume - 8
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 5
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, just insidethe dustcap.

Since we both have the 40 watt DSL combo, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not at all saying this is better than what you have. Depending on the mix, I'd be looking for mids and a bit less preamp distortion. The reason is that the guitar is going sit lower in the mix than you might think. It's a rhythm part, but it needs to cut through. So more mids. So:

Les Paul, SM57, 40 watt mode, green channel, crunch setting.

Master volume: dimed
Gain: 3
Bass 7
Mid: 6
Treble: 4
Presence: 5.

7_8_2017_LP_DSL_57.mp3 - Google Drive

It still amazes me the difference in clarity that a true LP gives. You can listen to specific strings.
POA* - It may just be the way you played the clip, but the Mesa had a brighter "pop" to it that made the high strings ring out (after the initial chug, where the chords go up and there's those high notes chiming in). The DSL is warm, but just a bit dull. In mix, I'd say the DSL would probably work better, but as a solo track, I like the Boogie better. (and I'm not a fan of MB)

POA* - Robus, you're getting what I was looking for with the air movement in my previous comment, but I think you left too much bass in.

*Personal Opinion Alert

Since we both have the 40 watt DSL combo, I thought I'd give it a try. I'm not at all saying this is better than what you have. Depending on the mix, I'd be looking for mids and a bit less preamp distortion. The reason is that the guitar is going sit lower in the mix than you might think. It's a rhythm part, but it needs to cut through. So more mids. So:

Les Paul, SM57, 40 watt mode, green channel, crunch setting.

Master volume: dimed
Gain: 3
Bass 7
Mid: 6
Treble: 4
Presence: 5.

7_8_2017_LP_DSL_57.mp3 - Google Drive

I thought that sounded excellent. May be a little bass heavy. But just a little.

Could be. Here's another one. Same basic thing, but I lowered the bass, pushed the mids even more (around 3:00), and fed the preamp a little more gain--maybe 3.5.

7_8_2017_LP_DSL_57_b.mp3 - Google Drive

This one sounded good too. But I liked the other one better. Too many mids in this one. Made it a bit on the scratchy side. You said you nudged up the gain. But this one sounded like it had a little less gain to my ear.

Probably the last sample for this go-around. A couple more tweaks

MshlCrunch3.wav - Google Drive

Les Paul, bridge pickup.
-- Volume - 7 (it was 8 before)
-- Tone - 10

-- Gain - 4
-- Volume - 6 (before it was 5)
-- Treble - 7
-- Mid - 5
-- Bass - 5
-- Presence - 5
-- Resonance - 0

SM57, pointed straight, on grill, just outside (before it was inside) the dustcap.

I like this better than the previous ones. Are you using the full power or half power setting?

Yes. Marshal Crunch 3 nice tones. Clear, biting without being grating, should punch through a mix very well.

Back