Speaker compatibility

Back in the day we would MAKE them! No, seriously. Look around for drive units, you can pair up bass mid units to get the power handling then slot in a suitable tweeter. High power crossover units are available.

Cabinets can be made from 18mm MDF or ply if you think they will get bounced a lot but ply will need more internal bracing. I would think £500 would buy some pretty tasty speaker motors and £100 should cover the carpentry.

I bet Celestion and many other speaker firms can supply detailed constructional details.

Dave.

I confess to confusion. I've been looking around and I can't find any passive pair that appears to be capable of making full use of this PMP6000 mixer.

You've got it backwards. You don't need to "make full use" of the power, you need to get loud enough given the power you have. Most quality PA speakers will do that, so it's the other parameters such as cost, weight and sound quality that matter. Your biggest obstacle will be the desire for dual use, live and studio.

"You've got it backwards. You don't need to "make full use" of the power, you need to get loud enough given the power you have. Most quality PA speakers will do that, so it's the other parameters such as cost, weight and sound quality that matter. Your biggest obstacle will be the desire for dual use, live and studio. "

Agreed BSG and OP should be able to find some 8 even 10inch units of decent quality of 150-200W rating then double those up. Two 8 Ohm units in parallel with of course give 4 Ohms. The tweeter is a bit more of a problem but two 50/100W units stacked should serve. The resulting speaker would, IMHO fall between a rip snorting 'hard' PA sound and a good semblance of quality when used at studio SPLs.

I would strongly suggest a sealed box design.

Dave.

Building speakers is fun and educational, but I feel you can get something better off the shelf. There are some nice plastic boxes with angles for use as stage monitors, stand mount cups, well designed crossovers etc. for not too much money. The Yamaha CBR series looks pretty nice.

I'm way too busy to think about making my own speakers. I don't even have time to make my own trousers.

I feel that I need 12" minimum for the band's range- plus something that gives clarity on the very top highs of guitar with effects and acoustic violin. That's HIGH.
So looking at the mixer specs. I need 300W 8R and 1600W peak- if it's ever bridged and I can't find anything.
I've scrapped the studio monitor idea and I'm just looking for a passive PA pair within my budget.

If I'm wrong about the mixer output specs please put me straight.

I'm way too busy to think about making my own speakers. I don't even have time to make my own trousers.

I feel that I need 12" minimum for the band's range- plus something that gives clarity on the very top highs of guitar with effects and acoustic violin. That's HIGH.
So looking at the mixer specs. I need 300W 8R and 1600W peak- if it's ever bridged and I can't find anything.
I've scrapped the studio monitor idea and I'm just looking for a passive PA pair within my budget.

If I'm wrong about the mixer output specs please put me straight.

You don't need to use up all the power of the amp. That's not how it works. Normally you select speakers according to your needs and then give them adequate power. But you have the power already, so you have to work it backwards.

For example, the Yamaha CBR12 puts out 125dBSPL (calculated) at its peak power rating of 700w, which means it puts out about 122 or so at 350w "program" (the rating that's most relevant) and 119 at 175w "noise". Figuring in distance, that's still nearly 100dBSPL at 16m given the available power in your amp no matter how you slice it. Any speaker with a sensitivity rating around 96dB and similar power ratings will do about the same. If that isn't enough then your volume demands are extreme. Most likely you'll never run the amp to its rated maximums because you'll have the master volume turned down to a reasonable level.

Last edited:
Ya, the 1970 bookshelf monitors I'm using as "studio" monitors are rated at 98db SPL. It pays to make good use of your wattage. I had the smallest Jamo CBR, which is the Euro sized 8-inch, and it was 96 SPL

You might look for a smaller pair that can handle violin and add a mono folded bass cab

I confess to confusion. I've been looking around and I can't find any passive pair that appears to be capable of making full use of this PMP6000 mixer.

Output Power
RMS @ 1% THD, both channels driven:
8R per channel: 300W
4R per channel: 600W
RMS @ 1% THD, bridged mode: 8R 1200W
Peak Power, both channels driven:
8R per channel: 400W
4R per channel: 800W
Peak Power, bridged mode: 8R 1600W

I can't spend more than £600 GBP.

I can't believe this simple question has become so complicated, go out and buy a pair of passive (unpowered) speakers that have a power rating the same or preferably higher then the power rating shown. Any good music shop that sells PA speakers will be able to supply something suitable.

LOL 5 Pages of answers, amp theory, speaker design, just buy some speakers, any of the known brands will work fine.

:facepalm:

:D I think it's called making a mountain out of a molehill. :D
Often I find these 'question' posts are actually answered in the first few posts. And then?
Well, the madness of people wanting to appear smart sets in, and it goes for 5 pages.
Sometimes useful, informative posts are made, which is good, but then again, we'll get a lot of bullshit and fluff too.
Lol.?

In this case though...the OP did come back multiple times and ask more questions and pose more things for consideration....but yeah, I agree with witzendose...just get something suitable, which would be easy enough to find.

It's not as critical as it became...but we all like to toss out stuff, it's a forum...that's what happens. :)

Well, I can proudly say I have contributed nothing useful to this thread.

( but I did help to get it to 6 pages)
:D

SEAS L18RNX/P H1224-08 Woofer - Falcon Acoustics

They ^ do a vast range of drive units, crossovers etc. I am sure they would be able to help in choosing parts for a pair of very decent 200W + speakers.

Ball park starting point. An 89dB/W/mtr drive unit hit with 150W will produce over 110dB SPL at a mtr and to put that in context? In industry you would be required to wear deffs working anywhere near such a sound source!

Dave.

Thanks for your voluminous and mystifying discourses chaps- all very much appreciated. We've opted for five acoustic megaphones. With stands.

Thanks for your voluminous and mystifying discourses chaps

Great! Now order 5 Westrex compression drive units and you have 400 to 12kHz pretty much licked and at way over 120dBSPL.

Seriously. I am ALWAYS saying..."This audio stuff is easy IF you want stock answers but step jeeeust a toe outside generally available kit and you have to larn". A lot!

Dave.

Of the two I would definitely go for the EV. Electrovoice make stonkingly good microphones so it is unlikely that they would produce poor speakers.

The Behringers ARE cheaper but have plastic not ply cabs, look 'generic, cheap and cheerful' and I only suggest Bellringer's product when there is really no other game in town.

Dave.

Of the two I would definitely go for the EV. Electrovoice make stonkingly good microphones so it is unlikely that they would produce poor speakers.

The Behringers ARE cheaper but have plastic not ply cabs, look 'generic, cheap and cheerful' and I only suggest Bellringer's product when there is really no other game in town.

Dave.

Thank you, Dave.
Will the PMP6000 drive them OK at 300W per channel ? They're 400W RMS 1600W Peak.

"Thank you, Dave.
Will the PMP6000 drive them OK at 300W per channel ? They're 400W RMS 1600W Peak. "

I should say so! 300 watts is going to give you well over 120dB SPL at a mtr. You WILL be told to turn it down!

Dave.

Back