What is your favorite USB/Firewire Interface?

What's your favorite budget portable audio interface?

• PreSonus Firebox

Votes: 123 30.3%
  • M-Audio 410

Votes: 44 10.8%
  • Digidesign MBox

Votes: 34 8.4%
  • Focusrite Saffire

Votes: 25 6.2%
  • Edirol UA25

Votes: 20 4.9%
  • Mackie Spike

Votes: 7 1.7%
  • Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 153 37.7%

• Total voters
SlartyBartfast said:
I'm looking to buy a portable audio interface and was wondering what everyone would suggest.

I just bought the EMU 1616m Cardbus solution for my laptop and have to admit that the sound quality is absolutely superb....

as well as Bucketloads of onboard DSP effects and loads of free software.

Softclipping...
Level indicators
Phantom power

etc etc ....

You should have a look
http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-EMU-1616M--brand-86.html

Don't look now, but it looks like the Yamaha i88x is popping up on every discussion board on the planet. I think it's a combination of a decent product and a lot of agressive marketing efforts in an effort to clear out some excess inventory.

In the right situation, it certainly could be a steal, one might assume.

Heh, well it could be unless he plans on bringing that old Behringer mixer out of retirement to make up the difference

For USB, I am using the Lexicon Omega Desktop Studio. It yields pretty good results, I'd recommend it. I record onto my lappy and desktop with it. I am soon going to be upgrading to the Firepod...I'd say go with that if you can do firewire.

IMHO you cannot beat the Firebox for the money. INSPIRE seems to be pretty awesome also, and even less money. I've spent a ton of time with an MBox before and the Firebox was a real lifesaver.

i just got a edriol ua25 being honest m still trying to work it out properly but it looks like i will do the job. If anyone can tel me what they think of it though it would be apreciated and how to use the software with it sonar LE

chessrock said:
Don't look now, but it looks like the Yamaha i88x is popping up on every discussion board on the planet. QUOTE]

Yes, they have two pres that are used on a $20,000 digital mixer and a review of the mixer highlights the quality of the pres. I heard that GC is blowing them out at $280. I ordered one from RMCaudio for $380, which was a good price when I ordered it.

Chuck

Hi,
I just received a Presonus Firepod (here in the netherlands).
Next week I'll go and config the stuff with my band.
Drums: Yamaha DTxpress III Special
Guitar: Boss v-amp (line out)
Bass: SWR (line out)
Behringer headphone amp.

Question:
In the Firepod package is Cubase LE version 1.07.
Does anybody know this is the right LE version for recent ordering?

I'll post my experiences after a while...

Nick The Man said:
just bought a Tascam 1804

cant wait for it
I've got the 1884 and I love it. I wouldn't call it portable though, but as a control surface/interface it;s great. And it does double duty as a 10x4 live mixer AT THE SAME TIME!!!

Tascam US-122

I have been using one of these for about 18 months . Records really well . Nice preamps , gain controls , 2 - XRL / 1/4" line-in/ switchable to guitar level inputs . 2 RCA line outs , headphone line with volume control and 16 midi I/O .
The only problem I have had is after about a year it developed intermittent dropouts/skips on the d/a side during playbacks and or monitoring . I work around that by using the PCs card for playback and mix a headphone feed from my mixer which let's me do the same as the
Tascams zero latency monitoring feature . If I didn't have a work around for this problem I might be real upset !!! :(

I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem so I would recommend one because for the $200.00 price tag it definitely will put down some clean tracking in your PCs multitrack program .

I have a MOTU 828mkII and it is my main interface to the computer. I have an EMU 0404 that I could use also, but it serves as the sound card on my DAW, I also can go back through the MOTU to the monitors.

Back