Where can I get this synth sound?

Lucky99

I currently have FL Studio 12, but don't know much about using VST's, plugins, etc. I am trying to get a synth/keyboard sound like the one at the beginning of aTycho song called, "L". Unfortunately, I can't post it on here yet, because I am new!

Anyone know what it is or where I could find it?

Sounds like you don't have a synthesizer to experiment with. Just planning on using the plugins.

Check these out : Crystal Voices

Many synthesizers will already have voices similar to these and what you're looking for stored as presets. Then you use the synth's frequency oscilators to tweak them to your liking. Then you can add looping and echo effects from other plugins.

In a synthesizer's presets or patches, look for voices like "Glass Bells" or "Bells" or "Crystal.. something or other".

I currently have FL Studio 12, but don't know much about using VST's, plugins, etc. I am trying to get a synth/keyboard sound like the one at the beginning of aTycho song called, "L". Unfortunately, I can't post it on here yet, because I am new!

Anyone know what it is or where I could find it?

HERE's a video of the song

Sounds like a string pad and some kind of tinny piano with major sustain going on as it is played ..nice ethereal feel...

I know I could emulate it similarly with sounds in my Yamaha MOX but on the soft synth thing I am just not that knowledgeable as I don't use them hardly at all anymore.

Hopefully someone can help you out here...

Try an FM synth plugin, find a glassy bell type sound, and add delay to it. Easy Peasy.

Is this something I can do in FL Studio? I am not really familiar with using or purchasing any kind of plugins or vsts. I only know how to use what is already in the program.

Is this something I can do in FL Studio? I am not really familiar with using or purchasing any kind of plugins or vsts. I only know how to use what is already in the program.

Yes. For first-timers some plugins can be tricky. There are bazillions of FREE plugins available via Google search "free music plugins", you just download one into the proper folder for your FL's VSTs. Though nearly the same, not all installation procedures are the same for all plugins, which can trip you up sometimes. Mostly it's just clicking OK or NEXT to make it happen. Then you fire up FL and dig into your FX thingies where you should see VST stuff and, hopefully, whatever you just downloaded.

You'll need to know how to direct the downloaded plugin to the proper FL folder - are you familiar with saving files using specific file paths?

Once you do it a few times all the confusing stuff goes away :drunk:

This may help a little : How do I add a VST plugin into a Windows DAW? | Sweetwater

Also : how to install vst - Google Search

Also: free music plugins - Google Search

The problem is that while synths are seen as ideal for plug-in VSTi usage - real synths work by (in the main) a huge list of pre-programmed combinations, that you then tweak. TAE says he can probably do it on his MOX, but I'd almost certainly find that sound as a preset in one of my old synths - from memory the old M1, the Roland synth modules, the Korgs - indeed one Korg has so many presets, before you tweak - all with silly names, that if you have a few hours spare, you can find them.

Your problem is you don't have any synths at all - so what do you try first? Franky - I've no idea - most might have 300 presets, and you might like 2. You are looking for a pad type not a lead type - they're the only real categories really. This is the sort of sound that is nearly there on preset 231, and you just tweak a couple of parameters. I don't think that sound leaps out as a common well known one. So FM synthesis, and experiment. I'd encourage you to try some, although looking at the current FL site - none of the synth plugins seem to cater for this kind of sound from the description, and at their price - risky to even try. I don't know enough about fruity loop evolution to know if free instruments are possible or any good?

You're getting good advice. I don't have a lot of time right now but there are a lot of previous posts that deal with your very same question. Here's a recent one with a number of inexpensive suggestions to pursue:
Recommend a synth for warm pads?

The bad news is that you're about to be devoured by the dogs of time; the good news is that it's fun and educational in this case, especially if you're not on a deadline.

There's plenty of info/videos online to help you get your soft synth set up in Ableton, and the procedure quickly becomes routine.

Enjoy.

Paj
8^)

Back