What's Your Favorite Plugin?

I don't favor any plugin. I have a start point and a goal. Whatever gets me from the start to the finish is what I use.

And when you get paid to do it, that's understandable. Some of us like tinkering with different tools for fun, and some are enjoyable to use. I understand your view, you've been doing it for longer. For me, I get a thrill from using certain vst's. All's good.

---------- Update ----------

It's not a test - like in that Python movie. Each of us is only at risk of looking like a dumb-ass, or, a true Gandalf. Choose wisely, as its going down on your Permanent Record : )

I have a hard time understanding most of your comments. It's ok. The teletubbies remark cleared that up. Thanks for commenting.

---------- Update ----------

This will work for now. LOL!

i'm still lol-ing, honestly. that's hilarious

You must live a very dull life. Why have a favorite shirt if they all just serve the purpose of shielding your body from cold? They are all the same, so we might as well all wear the same shirts.

Seriously dudes. Did you drop out of school too early? Choosing a favorite "x" isn't a new concept. I cannot believe grow humans are disagreeing about what the word "favorite" means. :facepalm:

My shirts are all the same . . . black t-shirts. So I do wear the same shirts. I have three pairs of shoes: a pair of boots for daily use, a worn out pair of boots for doing stuff like mowing the lawn, and a pair of slippers for relaxing at night. I don't have favourite clothes.

I know what favourite means. I am simply not interested in it. You are arguing with Mr Grumpy here. Grumpy doesn't do favourites.

To cheat, I'd say slate vmr because it has like a dozen plugins you can load into it. :) But my favorite of those is the fg-s (ssl eq clone.) Took me a long time to wrap my head around it but now I can dial in tracks pretty easy. Not that you couldn't do as well with a stock eq but the dials are just so much more fun. . .

ah, i'll check that out. Been looking for a new EQ. Of everything I've tried, I always come back to the stock Studio One 2 EQ. I have Nova, PTEQ1A, Marvel GEQ, EQ1A, RedEQ, SonEQ, and ReaEQ. But that stock EQ is my go-to because of the interface and low processing requirements.

My shirts are all the same . . . black t-shirts. So I do wear the same shirts. I have three pairs of shoes: a pair of boots for daily use, a worn out pair of boots for doing stuff like mowing the lawn, and a pair of slippers for relaxing at night. I don't have favourite clothes.

I know what favourite means. I am simply not interested in it. You are arguing with Mr Grumpy here. Grumpy doesn't do favourites.

Lol. Ok. Why so grumpy?

ah, i'll check that out. Been looking for a new EQ. Of everything I've tried, I always come back to the stock Studio One 2 EQ. I have Nova, PTEQ1A, Marvel GEQ, EQ1A, RedEQ, SonEQ, and ReaEQ. But that stock EQ is my go-to because of the interface and low processing requirements.

Don't forget that tape is a EQ monster in its own way. Since it is a combination of processes, there can unique things to be had for those usually thinking in terms of conventional virtual processing.

My second purchased plug, after a synth mangler for audio input, was the Stillwell 1973. Currently, I'm diggin' Mixbus EQ.

Okay, here's one. If I disregard the basic ones, my favorite "interesting" plugin is ReaFIR. I often use it as a de-esser but it does so much more.

Okay, here's one. If I disregard the basic ones, my favorite "interesting" plugin is ReaFIR. I often use it as a de-esser but it does so much more.

I checked the Rea package I downloaded the other day and that one was included. I'll give it a look shortly and probably try it as a de-esser. Didn't throw it on anything yet since I didn't know what fir was.

Can't name just one - my choice really depends on particular processing goal. Anyway my go to digital EQ is Fabfilter's Pro Q2 - extremely handy, has so much features making mixing decisions way more easy to make. The same is about compression - my favourite one is Pro C2. Other than that juuuust love CLA 76 by Waves. When it comes to tape saturation - my go to is Reelbus by Toneboosters. Modern Analoguer is very sweet as well - very warm and can be adjusted to wide array of colours just in seconds.

Last edited:
The basic plugins to use (eq, comp, lim, +) are my favourite cause how would everything sound without them.
But many times i use some 'tricks' to make some sounds in a song more catchy or whatever, and at that moment that plugin is my favourite. But it could be so that i'll never use that particual plugin ever again, or not that much.

For instance. Lately i used an Exiter on a song and man what a nice result.
Less lately i tried it again on another song and instead of adding it reduced the song, so thrown away quickly and looked for other plugins to spice that song up. I thought a compressor which i like to use also did less, where a limiter did much.
So each song has it own particular needs, it's own particular favourites.

Cause of why i don't have a real favourite. I favour the luxury that i can choose between them for the right one 'for this song now'. :D

"The basic plugins to use (eq, comp, lim, +) are my favourite cause how would everything sound without them".

The 64-Thousand Dollar Question. We'll never know : )

"The basic plugins to use (eq, comp, lim, +) are my favourite cause how would everything sound without them".

The 64-Thousand Dollar Question. We'll never know : )

We DO know, cause we know how it was recorded originally. But the main question is; do we WANT to know. :facepalm: :D

For instance. Lately i used an Exiter on a song and man what a nice result.

This is more about which brand/developer than category. It'd be absurd to say "EQ" is my favorite. However, if there is a particular company who makes the EQ you often resort to, then that's what I'd like to know. I haven't found a go-to parametric EQ, but I do have some compressors that fit that bill. DC1A being the main choice.

I'd like to use an exciter, I just haven't found a decent one. Therefore, I've been making my own, sort of, by HP'ing and LP'ing an EQ, adding distortion, and limiting. So, 3 plugins doing the job of what one can do - I'd like to find a good "one". That was the point of this thread. If I need something in the future, I can come back here and scope out some choices instead of perusing google for articles that might have their own agendas.

To maybe get things back on track, and because I collect way too many plugins. . . I'd like to say that probably soundtoys decapitator is my second favorite plug lately. You just put it on a track and turn a knob, instant tasty crunch. :)

My list list still stands as my favorites. But;

I could not see working without the Fabfilter Pro-L or Pro-EQ though. They are so far better than stock Cubase plugs it not even in the same realm. But they are also not free.

My list list still stands as my favorites. But;

I could not see working without the Fabfilter Pro-L or Pro-EQ though. They are so far better than stock Cubase plugs it not even in the same realm. But they are also not free.

I've seen a lot of videos of engineers using those, and others have mentioned that here too, I think. Maybe I'll pick it up one day.

i am a big fan of Eventide Ultra Channel...it is'nt cheap but works great! however i lucked out and got it as a promotional deal when it came out :thumbs up:

Back