What's Your Favorite Plugin?

Limiters with threshold/makeup gain type controls can be made to work but it can take some futzing around.
So you're saying you're lazy. ;)

Reaper lets me save presets and even whole chains of FX. The truth is I don't usually use ReaComp as a limiter, being more of a squash and saturate kind of guy. ReaComp can do both of those things, too. I'm working in the direction of replacing the saturation plugs I have been using (JS plugs I wrote before I really trusted ReaComp) even in my "amp sims" with ReaComp because it's a lot more efficient.

Can you recommend a limiter that works on the drum bus? Freeware would be nice.

AudioDamage Roughrider is pretty good. It will smash the hell out of it if you want but I like just a hint to glue the drums together. Also the Thrillseeker LA from Variety of Sound if you are still 32 bit.

Thanks. I'm 64 bit. I'll give it a try. Always interesting to hear what another compressor brings to the table. But for current purposes, what I'm really looking for is a transparent limiter that I can throw across the drum bus to tame the occasional spike. I want to set the threshold high so that it is only kicking in on those spikes, and then I want it to stop them dead. Otherwise, I don't want to hear it. For a more textured compression that does that glue thing you mention, ReaComp run in a parallel configuration sounds good to me.

Thanks. I'm 64 bit. I'll give it a try. Always interesting to hear what another compressor brings to the table. But for current purposes, what I'm really looking for is a transparent limiter that I can throw across the drum bus to tame the occasional spike. I want to set the threshold high so that it is only kicking in on those spikes, and then I want it to stop them dead. Otherwise, I don't want to hear it. For a more textured compression that does that glue thing you mention, ReaComp run in a parallel configuration sounds good to me.

Rough Rider is anything but transparent.

That, and charging clients for an hour of work that could be done in seconds with the right tool doesn't go over too well.
If you know what you want and have a clue what you're doing, it won't take an hour to dial in and save a preset. After that, loading the preset takes about as long as instantiating some other limiter that doesn't even give you the option of changing those parameters.

One might wonder just how much you should be charging your clients if all you're doing is applying presets ;). And make no mistake, a limiter with one or two knobs really is a preset. All of those parameters are actually in there somewhere, but the developer set them as they saw fit and you either take it or don't. I know I'm just silly, but I personally would rather change a parameter setting if I'm not happy with the response rather than have to go hunt for the one plugin where the developer just happened to code it to work the way I want.

And just to be clear, I'm not really trying to get on a horse here. Whatever works and all that.

It's really more like having a car with processor controlled ignition timing instead of one with a lever on the steering column. Sure, people used to drive their '29 Chevys all the time using the manual spark advance, but vacuum or centrifugal control is way better, and digital ignition control is even better than that.

It's really more like having a car with processor controlled ignition timing instead of one with a lever on the steering column. Sure, people used to drive their '29 Chevys all the time using the manual spark advance, but vacuum or centrifugal control is way better, and digital ignition control is even better than that.

That is why I do not use a compressor to do a job of a limiter. The FabFilter Pro-L is completely adjustable, but it has a designated task: Limiting. And very well I should add.

The stock Cubase brickwall limiter is a joke. But I still use it while tracking as it doesn't eat as much processing power.

That's because the idea of a singular favourite doesn't really make much sense.

why's that?

fa·vor·ite
ˈfāv(ə)rət/
adjective
adjective: favourite; adjective: favorite

1.preferred before all others of the same kind.

"same kind" being plugins. It's fine to list more, I was just trying to see what everyone's absolute favorite was. Interesting seeing everyone's picks though, especially all the freeware and Rea choices. However, not a very scientific poll since most of you guys have Reaper to begin with.

For those without Reaper, like me, they do offer some of their vst's for outside hosts in a package. Like I said, they aren't pretty, but seem solid.

I'm using the Reaper plugins in Sony Vegas.

One reason multiple plugins are mentioned is that you pretty much need at least one eq, one compressor, and one reverb. For mastering you also need at least one good mastering limiter. That's the minimum to get things done.

why's that?

fa·vor·ite
ˈfāv(ə)rət/
adjective
adjective: favourite; adjective: favorite

1.preferred before all others of the same kind.

hahah. Maybe. Magix wants to sell Variverb II for $199 and I have it for free. Favorite ! Essentially, I was able to choose a plug and they gave me a license for it. I use a old ART DR-1 & DR-x boxes and have Epic Verb hanging around, but I like this reverb

I'm using the Reaper plugins in Sony Vegas.

One reason multiple plugins are mentioned is that you pretty much need at least one eq, one compressor, and one reverb. For mastering you also need at least one good mastering limiter. That's the minimum to get things done.

...and of all those, which do you enjoy using the most... :)

Back