Waves Tune

I use the new Waves Real-Time and still occasionally use my older copy of Autotune. I don't do fine edits, I set a range of notes and only adjust the degree of attack/correction depending on need. I find for most uses the Waves product is better at doing aggressive adjustments without sounding mechanical/synthy. Both have their subtle quirks and take a bit of experimenting to get a desired result. Neither appear to hog much processing power when used as a real time VST (but I don't suggest using it for live vocals, it just confuses the vocalist).

I have Waves LT (purchased on sale) and never had a chance to use it on a song. Supposedly it allows for making specific changes at the track level. I've never needed such granularity so I went for a wider brush.

Wow I just purchased Vegas Edit Pro and it looks like it does not support Waves tune, well only half way. The pitch correction works great when mixing but does not render or burn to cd, I guess it has to do with the Rewire link that is not supported in Vegas. Talk about BS.

Vegas is a video editing program, so it doesn't handle vst effects the same way a daw would.

Waves tune doesn't really work in real time. It creates a second file with the pitch correction, and plays that back instead of the original file. Because of the way Vegas burns right from fhe mix, that doesn't happen.

The way around it is to "bounce" the fixed vocal to another track and mute the original. That way, the fixed vocal is just a wav file like everything else.

Have you tried mixing to a wav file to see if you hear the correction? Burning a mix right to cd is sort of skipping a step.

I did not try bouncing the track, I did try rendering the track to a new track and it did not help. I will look at the bounce. What I finally did to finish the project I was working on was to Use my old system that has Antares on it and render the pitch corrected track to a new track with no FX and then exported/imported via USB to my new system, finished the mix from there. There are some work arounds but they are a pain.

You could also just route the vocal track to an output and take a cable to connect it to an input and record it in real time.

You should look into reaper, if you aren't mixing to video.

Good idea Jay we think a little alike, I have also have a Tascam 2488. I though about running a cable from the output on my sound card to an input on the Tascam and record it in real time, then export that .wav file back to Edit pro to give me the pitch corrected track. I never thought about just running a cable from the output on my sound card to the input on my sound card and see if that allows me to record in real time with FX right into Edit Pro on another track. Some systems act funny when you start looping things, at least in the old analog world that was true. I think I am going to look at Reaper. The trial is free and the price is cheap. There may also be a way for me to render the pitch corrected track to another track in Reaper then export that corrected file into Edit Pro. However if Reaper does what everyone says it does hat may not even be necessary.

Waves tune doesn't really work in real time. It creates a second file with the pitch correction, and plays that back instead of the original file.

Do you mean in general or in this vegas suite?
Anywhere I've used it it's been real time, although introduce heavy latency.

It works in real.time, but you aren't listening to the original wav file going though the correction. You are listening to a corrected alternate file. It's the way the plugin works. It's kind of like freezing a track.

Oh yeah, it's not destructive. That's right.

+1 to looking into another DAW. Waves tune may not be destructive but I can't think of any (of my) plugins which are.
A 'normal' DAW will bounce down what you hear without the need to commit anything or everything.

It's hard to clearly explain what it's doing. It does not process in real time, but it is not destructive. It creates a file and stores it someplace and plays that instead. That's what it is doing when you play the file through it so that it can read the notes.

In fact, if you try to edit the vocal track after you apply the tuning, you won't hear the edit. If you, for example, mute a word, when you play the song the word will still be there.

I'm beginning to think that my work around may be a good practice in most situations which is to take a close to if not in fact final vocal track, apply any needed pitch correction in a rough mix to be certain you can live with that aspect of it, Then remove all FX on the vocal track except pitch correction and render it to a new track. Now you've got your pitch corrected vocal track that you can do with whatever else you want. You can even mute a word or make other edits on that track and still have your pitch correction in tact and unaffected.

It's hard to clearly explain what it's doing. It does not process in real time, but it is not destructive. It creates a file and stores it someplace and plays that instead. That's what it is doing when you play the file through it so that it can read the notes.

Again, what DAW is your reference, because that is not how Waves Tune works for me.

Maybe this is the root of the problem - Waves Tune works totally differently in different Daws or, perhaps, in different plugin formats?
In fact, if you try to edit the vocal track after you apply the tuning, you won't hear the edit. If you, for example, mute a word, when you play the song the word will still be there.

In Protools I can certainly tune an entire track then go around chopping out phrases and words.
Of course, if I do so, the instructions to tune those phrases and words are still there and that can cause artefacts or glitches. I think, possibly, rewire syncing the DAW+Waves Tune timeline maybe solve that but I'm not certain.
Also, If I were to write some tuning and then move my entire audio track slightly, the whole thing will be messed up because the tuning is being applied offset.
Again, rewire time line sync may handle that. I really should find out! :p

I'm beginning to think that my work around may be a good practice in most situations which is to take a close to if not in fact final vocal track, apply any needed pitch correction in a rough mix to be certain you can live with that aspect of it, Then remove all FX on the vocal track except pitch correction and render it to a new track. Now you've got your pitch corrected vocal track that you can do with whatever else you want. You can even mute a word or make other edits on that track and still have your pitch correction in tact and unaffected.

That's not a bad plan, regardless of the motive.
I've gotten into the habit of doing that for a few reasons.

One is that you do the job and commit and that's that. The temptation to tinker later on is removed.
Two is that the induced latency is no longer a problem. It's not exactly a big deal but if a singer wants to overdub and I have Waves Tune, the latency makes that a pain.

For me, anything that helps to separate tracking from editing from mixing isn't a bad thing. ;)

I use Nuendo. But I haven't tuned anything in a long time, so I might be confusing it with how Melodyne works. I would have random glitching issues with waves tune on some sessions.

Thinking about it now, i could be confusing to two programs.

Back