waves plugins

sparky123

so waves wants me to pay more to keep using their plugins i purchased. if i knew this was going to happen when i made the purchase i would not have bought them. there were some really good ones that were my goto, but in the future i guess i'll rely on what comes with my daw and to check to make sure that any plugin i do decide to purchase in the future has no add on costs or expiration dates. goodbye waves.....

If I understand it right, they want you to pay to keep getting updates and new plugins that are added to your package. Not to use the plugins.

so waves wants me to pay more to keep using their plugins i purchased. if i knew this was going to happen when i made the purchase i would not have bought them. there were some really good ones that were my goto, but in the future i guess i'll rely on what comes with my daw and to check to make sure that any plugin i do decide to purchase in the future has no add on costs or expiration dates. goodbye waves.....

Naw man, that is just the update thing. If it works for you and you already have the 64-bit versions, forget about it. They still and will always work. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. You still own the license for what you have.

API 2500 and H-Verb are the only ones I have desired use and license for. And I have used them all. If it works for you, then don't bother with the update plan bullshit.

I do still have 'One Knob Louder' and 'Scheps 73' eq. Totally forgot about them and haven't used ever. I would never pay for the upgrades for a full set. There is better out there IMO.

If it works for you, then don't bother with the update plan bullshit.

100%. I've had platinum for about 8 years now. I paid WUP once to get to version 9, I think?
Whatever V it is it's compatible with my set up and should be for quite some time.

I own and use a lot of Waves plugins and I have never updated any of them. Unless Pro tools stops using AAX or everyone else drops VST's I don't see ever needing to upgrade

I signed up to buy some Waves plugins tonight. I got as far as downloading the installer, saw that it was 160MB in size, and cancelled the download. Waves and I won't be doing business. It might eat my computer.

I signed up to buy some Waves plugins tonight. I got as far as downloading the installer, saw that it was 160MB in size, and cancelled the download. Waves and I won't be doing business. It might eat my computer.

If you're that worried about a 160MB installer, then virtual instrument packages (like my 33GB <-- Gigabyte Superior Drummer metal kit) must make you run away screaming in terror.

Waves makes IMO some of the best plugins available at the price point. So it's your loss, not theirs.

WHAT ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO PUT ON YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE! ;) Serious though, I have 5 computers with 10 internal hard drives and only one hard drive that has non music stuff. All my software is duped to at least 3 systems plus backups. I just uploaded some more Native Instruments to one of the laptops I thought I didn't "need" it on and it was approx. 40Gb worth of downloads for half the NI stuff I own. I probably have maybe 60% of the plugins Waves makes, all the Soundtoys- I could go on but I believe my GAS(gear acquisition syndrome) is showing:facepalm: I am on pro tools though and the AAX Waves plugin installation must be different- I have "Waves Central" installed on each computer and all my licenses are stored on a 8 GB thumb drive. I don't know about the other DAW setups, though on two of my units I have the VST plug in versions for Ableton Live Lite or whatever it's called.(I don't use it much)

I think there is a "maximum" that one would pay if they had many Waves plugins. I started out with just a new Waves plugins, but there are so many times I needed something to do something specific that I bought new ones one-by-one over the past years. I just checked out how many - 65 plugins so far.

Yeah , I get daily offers from their email servers and its just " Got it , got it, got it, don't need it":yawn:

the only thing I don't like is seeing something for 29 dollars that I paid 49 or 59 for a month or so ago. :D

I have a fair number of their products now, and have been using them along with the in house stuff of GarageBand. I'm still learning what the hell I'm doing. You can put what I know into a thimble and have room for spit.

the only thing I don't like is seeing something for 29 dollars that I paid 49 or 59 for a month or so ago. :D

I waited on a number of Waves plugins until I got them at $29, or bundled for the equivalent price. ;)

Last edited:
To OP-the Installer does not need to be left on after you have installed the plugins you desire. Just uninstall. The plugins will still work. You will have to reinstall the installer to do updates or download more plugins, which is more work but people do it that way. As for the pricing-it took me a couple of years to get all the plugins I wanted cuz I refuse to buy if they aren't on sale:D I waited for the SSL stuff forever, kept watching and swooped in like a hawk as soon as it happened to go up. I think it's helpful if you can sort of set aside the funds for a plugin(s) and just wait, then you don't hesitate and miss something you want.

Waves often has big sales, and they're having one right now. Some good $29 deals, like the Puig compressor (which i paid quite a bit more for, and thought that was a deal).

Specials | Waves

Yes. There's usually a 10% off coupon floating around to take off a bit more.

Cool, thanks.
The sale they have right now actually takes a % off each additional plugin up to the 6th one. I purchased 8 for $160, so $20 each!

Are some never that cheap? I wanted the CLA-2A but it's $49...so I'll wait for a better price on it unless it doesn't go to 29 ever.

Last edited:
Back