waves plugins

With the extremely low price Waves has been offering for the past few months, they are a steal. I am slowly moving over to Izotope plugins more than Waves.

Cool, thanks.
The sale they have right now actually takes a % off each additional plugin up to the 6th one. I purchased 8 for $160, so $20 each!

Are some never that cheap? I wanted the CLA-2A but it's $49...so I'll wait for a better price on it unless it doesn't go to 29 ever.

You could have probably stacked the 10% off coupons as well. :p

I think at some point I've seen every plugin see a $29 price, but for some like the Abbey Roads plugins, it's maybe once a year.

Just happen to check Waves.com today and noticed the Abbey Roads reverb and Waves Tune real-time were both on sale for $29. I believe I paid more for each of them. Both plugs are used often (usually the Waves Tune only on vocals).

The vintage compressors are all on sale. I've never seen them that low, so I got the collection for $79. They emailed me a coupon earlier this Month so I wound up getting a few other plugins, 10 total for $178 so just under $18 each.

They've had quite a few good deals recently. The Maximixer L3 plug, which I use a lot, was $29 at some point. That's a steal.

I got the ll3 as part of a bundle, it’s probably the only plugin I use on every mix. I think any version of the l-whatever is probably a good buy, they’re so easy to use and so useful.

I’m waiting for the ssl g bus comp to hit $29, it’s down to $100 now but sheesh even that is quite a bit. . .

I don't understand the difference between the L2 ultramaximizer and L3 multimaximizer. Is the latter just a multiband limiter?
I find limiters (at least in the hands of amateur mastering engineers like myself) destroy mixes easily so I'm not sure I should jump on the deal. Do these have a sound, and if so what is the sound?

As I understand it, the multiband “prioritizes” bands over others when compressing. It’s not real clear from their material what that really means, but it does seem to sacrifice some bands before others when you push it too hard in that mode. I just use the ultra version though, it’s basically one fader you fiddle with. You can get a lot of loudness before the tone’s affected, but it does have a sound. I have a hard time telling how much is due to the algorithm versus just bringing up details. But it’s a nice sound, really pushes things forward.

Thanks for that, Easlern. Do you use it to try to master or just to make your final export/mix bus louder?

It’s really just for keeping my mixes around soundcloud level (just barely, soundcloud is super loud.) It’s pretty good at just doing that.

Some have said that L3 sounds better/different algorithm. While I don't know that for sure, I will say that L1 to my ears can start to sound unpleasant when pushed hard. I still use it but if I'm going for highest quality sound for say archiving and not soundcloud or mp3 than I default to L3 just in case

Just throwing this out there from my personal experience with Waves L2 and L3.

L2 was quite good for master bus limiting until I found better. L3 was the typical Multiband not worth using to me.

FabFilter Pro-L-2 is what you want for home mastering limiter IMO. Hands down best I have used. Way more versatile and much better at the task. There is a reason the Waves plugs are going for cheap...

That does not mean they are not worthy if you use them as you are supposed to. But you get what you pay for sometimes....

Again, just throwing that out there...

Just throwing this out there from my personal experience with Waves L2 and L3.

L2 was quite good for master bus limiting until I found better. L3 was the typical Multiband not worth using to me.

FabFilter Pro-L-2 is what you want for home mastering limiter IMO. Hands down best I have used. Way more versatile and much better at the task. There is a reason the Waves plugs are going for cheap...

That does not mean they are not worthy if you use them as you are supposed to. But you get what you pay for sometimes....

Again, just throwing that out there...

I think there are like 10-15 Waves plugins that are really great. A lot of it is overkill and unnecessary.
Most Fabfilter stuff is great, too.

L3 is a limiter (mostly), although I have used it for milder application of compression. It's good for that final brickwalling. ;)

Waves has the SSLs for $29. Why would I ever need an SSL emulation tho? Can't I just compress and EQ elsewhere? I'm wondering if that kind of thing is overkill or worth it.

Ask and ye shall receive. . . G bus comp is on sale for $29!

---------- Update ----------

Haha nola you snuck in a minute before me.

Haha.
But Easlern what does this plugin do that we can't do with other EQ and Compression? I know they claim it imparts some type of sound of the console but isn't that sound just EQ and Compression of some type?

I is an emulation. Used that a while back and never bothered again. Just my opinion that it not worth even $29.

I guess what I'm asking is how do you emulate a console if not just it's "character" or "color", which are basically EQ and compression. No? It seems so many plugins are just various EQ curves that give a sound. I don't see how they can do much else other than add some noise, too. Do they put it in a room and capture impulses, etc?

Back