Wave Tunes $99

DM60

I think this is a pretty good deal for anyone wanting to add a plugin like this. $99 is a pretty good deal, full functionality, not LE version. If you've been looking for something like this, I really think it is not a bad purchase. Is it as good as say Autotune or Melodyne, I couldn't say as I don't have those, but I can say it is a very capable tuner with some nice edits and, did I mention $99? That is a bit less than the others are asking for their full versions.

FYI, not sure how much longer they are offering this.

I grabbed it last year, or maybe it was end 2013...got it for the same kind of low price as now.

It's a good plug, of course, only works well on vocals. I mean it can be used on single-note instruments, but it doesn't always come out right. When I got it I assumed it was good for anything...but even just for vocals, it was worth the sale price (I wouldn't pay $400 for it).

Only thing I hate about it (and same thing I hate about some other plugs)...you can't resize the plug window.
For many plugs where it's just some knobs and what have you, the window doesn't need to be resized in most cases...but a tuner plug like this where you got to zoom in close a lot of the time....I hate the fact that you have to zoom into that smaller window that they give you....and then you lose sight of the big picture of where you are at etc...so it's a LOT of scrolling L/R and even Up/Down and then zooming In/Out...what a PITA.
I even called Waves and asked if there was any planned upgrade/updates that might incorporate that...and the guy was like...."nope"...and not much more. I'm trying to explain to him that with this type of plug, you need a bigger size, since you are dealing with a timeline and all that....and he still just gives me the "nope".

Anyway...I've gotten use to that, and most times I can fly through if things are needing just small fixes...but when I get into a section that needs some fine, surgical edits....that small window really pisses me of....it just makes the job that much harder....DUH!...what were they thinking of? I mean, they have some other more "static" plug GUIs that are way huge for what you need to see....then this one, with a moving timeline....they don't let you resize it.
I would love to stretch it the full lenght of my DAW timeline, but leave it vertically as-is. It's mostly the horizontal scrolling/zooming that gets used a lot.

Otherwise...it does the job for vocals once you find the sweet spot with the controls...also, I don't like doing like they suggest...running it on the whole track and then going back and tweaking. I only apply to sections of audio, here-n-there...and for that, I make a copy of my track and put only the sections pf audio that need correction onto that track. The other track has the untouched audio.
Once I tweak what needs it...I then remove the same sections of audio on the original track that I tweaked on the copy track.
So basically you have two tracks with one containing the untouched sections only, and the other containing the corrected sections only. Playing both tracks gives you the complete audio.
I find that to be the best/easiest/fastest and least intrusive way to use it...rather than like they suggest, applying to the whole track....because I don't think it improves the whole track. So I prefer to use it sparingly and very surgically.

Some people say Melodyne is better...but then I know some people think the Waves Tune is better. They each have their quirks and you can get artifacts with either, depending on what you are doing.

Do you guys know if there's a DFA setting, other than automating the bypass button? (That causes clicks and pops)

Maybe I'm using it wrong but Waves Tune always seems to do something even if you just let it scan and adjust nothing.
I usually want it to for the occasional note and it ends up being a pain.

I am still new, but I select all, set the correction to 0, then edit the areas I want to edit by selecting.

Before allowing it to scan the audio? heh...it could be that simple!

If you catch it at start. I think it sets itself to 100% by default. Up until now I forget to set it to zero. But if you do forget, select all and set to zero rather than rescan.

I think you are right, setting it to zero before scanning probably takes care of that issue.

Mmmmmm....I don't it works that way.

From the manual:
While scanning, Tune creates the initial suggested correction curve using a set of default correction values. Speed-15ms, Note Transition-120ms and Ratio-100% are hard coded into the initial correction graph creation but can be easily edited after the scan, even before auditioning the initial correction curve.

This is what I fought with constantly....the scan uses the default values....and then AFTER the scan you can go edit. IOW....I don't think you can scan with "0" and then edit afterwords. At least I know I've tried changing the values of the three options, and when I then go and select a section of audio....I see that the settings for the three options for that section of audio have reverted BACK to the default settings.
It just got too messy doing all that across the whole track...going in and changing that for sections of audio after the scan, and if you erase a scanned section on the Tune timeline, Tune will rescan that audio again and put it back with the same default settings again....DUH! :facepalm:

Man....I got so nuts with one track...I ended up deleting everything and starting over... :D ...and that's why I ended up with my method of copying the track...then picking out what I wanted to edit, slicing/leaving only those sections on the Tune track....and leaving the rest, that wasn't going to be edited on the original track.
Now....I scan the track with only the sections I need edited....and then AFTER the scan I go in and make tweaks to those default settings.

You can also copy the whole track...scan the whole copy....then as you go through it making edits, anything that isn't touched you slice out of the Tune track instead of leaving it there.
The problem is EVERY TIME you run the track, Tune will rescan anything that wasn't scanned/corrected....which is the main reason I ended up with the duplicate track approach. It lets me work only on what I want to work on. I hate that stupid rescan if I go back and replay the tracks.
Also....when you have any otter processing/edits on the audio, Tune will sometimes glitch on them and you get artifacts....even if you set the damn thing to "0" for that section of audio. So again I remove everything that I don't need to tune, and that way Tune only acts on very specific audio portions on that duplicate track.

I'm sure there are other work-flows that may feel better to people...but after using it awhile I've found this to be the most useful for me.

Good info, Miro. Thanks for sharing.
That's actually what I've been doing lately - I get a blank track with a WT plugin above the vocal track and just move any bits that needs tuning.

Of course I could just sing it right in the first place....or could I? :p

I will have to check when I have my music computer up, but the green line is what has been modified, when you select all and bring it back to zero, it lines back up to the original. Then you can edit those areas that need editing. I will do another check, I have plenty of material to practice on. Back to Steen's comment.

Good info, Miro. Thanks for sharing.
That's actually what I've been doing lately - I get a blank track with a WT plugin above the vocal track and just move any bits that needs tuning.

Of course I could just sing it right in the first place....or could I? :p

I try my best too, but sometimes you need a little tweak...;)...and trust me, they tweak things even for the pro singers.

What's interesting is how WT will sometimes correct to perfection...and it doesn't sound right to me.
IOW, I'll leave the original or take most of the correction off....another reason I stopped scanning entire tracks, because it was hard to tell what was original and what was changed. Sometimes it was so subtle, yet enough of a change to not sound right....even though it was "corrected".

Doing it like you are is IMO the more surgical way, and you have better control over WT, as it is somewhat too automated with the whole scan thing...but that's how it's designed, so using it selectively on a separate track is a nice way to side-step that.

I will have to check when I have my music computer up, but the green line is what has been modified, when you select all and bring it back to zero, it lines back up to the original. Then you can edit those areas that need editing. I will do another check, I have plenty of material to practice on. Back to Steen's comment.

Like I said....there may be other ways of setting up your workflow...but from what I tried a buinch of times, it appears you have to do the scan with the defaults, and then edit those three center parameters afterwards, not in advance of the scan.

Here's another section from the manual:
Part 3: Post Scan – General corrections
After performing the scan, Tune constructs the detected pitch curve and correction curve. From this point on, any audio you play on this track will be affected by the correction curve pitch adjustment, with all changes happening in real time. Remember, to modify the curves you must select something – whether an individual note or a wider selection.
Changes will not affect unselected areas. Since the correction curve is constructed by a set of defaults, now is the time to set your own general correction parameters.

Let me know if you come up with a different way of doing it when you check it out. I'm not editing any vocals at the moment, but I have a couple of tracks coming up, and I will also recheck my own conclusions of how WT is doing things.

That's the theory and I know you're right, but I've popped the plug in on a track before, let it scan, and then listened back to all the changes the plugin made.
It's certainly misuse or misunderstanding on my part. I mean, I really should read the manual! :p

I'll play around with it when I get home and see what's what. It has been a really really useful plugin for me over the years.

Let me know if you come up with a different way of doing it when you check it out. I'm not editing any vocals at the moment, but I have a couple of tracks coming up, and I will also recheck my own conclusions of how WT is doing things.

That makes sense and lines up with what I was thinking. Select all, set to zero.

I have not read the manual, it looked rather straight forward. I would say, I did not realize the default was set at start up. But if I am not mistaken (I will have to check this when I turn on my music computer), you should be able to set the tolerance, having it wide enough would keep the correction from kicking in.

Thanks everyone for the additional information.

Try this, I tested, it looks like it works, but looking for confirmation. Set the values you want, save as "whatever". When you load it up, use that pre-set. That I believe sets the default values, not have a saved set of values uses out of the box defaults.

OK...I just checked WT with a vocal track....and I hate to say it, but I was right in how I understood the manual and what I saw the last time I tried out a few different approaches.

If you set the correction to "0" before you scan the track....go then and then pick any of the scanned notes, and you will see that they in fact are set by default to 100% correction. Your "0" (or another setting) will NOT apply pre-scanning....same thing for the other two main center parameters.
The scan process always defaults to: Speed-15ms, Note Transition-120ms and Ratio-100%
You cannot preset them to something different before you scan, only after you scan can you select some notes and change that default.

That's one of the things that drove me nuts....I kept thinking that I was doing what you thought you were doing, and I was preselecting my settings for the three parameters...then scanning....and I thought I was crazy, 'cuz every time I went in closer to edit, I would find the notes were again at the default setting.
Anyway...the other parameters on the left side you can preset in advance of the scanning. I've never messed around with the vibrato stuff on the lower right, so I don't know if that's used pre or post scanning. I read about it in the manual, but I never use it, so I can't remember which way it works.

And that's why I ended up with the duplicate track methog....just a lot less muss-n-fuss. :)

Thanks for the updates, folks!
What happens if you let it scan the whole track then do select-all then reset all the parameters to zero?
I have a feeling I tried that before and could still hear alterations, but it'd definitely be worth checking.

Sure....you can do that....but the more you think about it, it kinda gets you nothing faster, which is why I think the designed it to scan with default settings so you have something to work off of.
I mean....what's the point of scanning with no correction or scanning and setting it ALL to no correction...?...if you are then going to go in and edit it piece by piece anyway...? :)
I find the scanning the whole track thing kludgey, but I can see why they did it that way.

Even with correction at ZERO, you can still get some artifacts at crossover points just because of the audio that is being scanned. We make odd noises sometimes as we ramp up one note, and the tuner can't always deal with it smoothly, and it does still affect the audio even with correction set to ZERO....and if you should delete some of the scanned notes....then you open up that other can-o-worms where WT will automatically rescan it back (using the defaults) as soon as you hit PLAY again...so if you had those notes set to ZERO or something other than the default, you then have to go back in and remember what it was before you deleted them...Oy Vey! :facepalm: :D

So....I think we all are sorta moving our own own "default" SOP, to simply place only the audio you need corrected on a separate track, or as I'm doing, making a duplicate and then slicing out what I want tuned and what I don't.
I mean....there may be a better work-flow for someone else, so by all means find what is comfortable...but I think we may all be in agreement here about the seperate/duplicate track approach as the most efficient....wadda you guys think?
If someone has a smoother method...I'm all ears. ;)

After playing with it for some time, Miro you appear to be right. It just goes back to default settings. Selecting all and setting what you want is the only way to correct it to you liking. I think what you guys are doing seems to be a pretty good work around.

Another great thing I rarely see mentioned about Waves Tune

You can control your DAW transport from within the Waves Tune edit window.... this is a GREAT feature and makes working with it very convenient, especially when editing long portions of material.

Another great thing I rarely see mentioned about Waves Tune

You can control your DAW transport from within the Waves Tune edit window.... this is a GREAT feature and makes working with it very convenient, especially when editing long portions of material.

Yehp. That is actually quite nifty. :)

Back