Stereo Widener plugins and their relatives:

^^+1. Or too long a delay or reverb time

Overuse of reverb is a common thing that can quickly ruin a mix. Especially with vocals. Still hear people using it like candy...

Two delay times or a miltitap set under the vocal mix goes a long way to getting the width. Reverbs tend to pull the vocals in the back of the mix. But it depends on the song and the choices of effects.

This is obvious to many of us. Not so much for some. I surely have doubts on using a 'widener' plug for vocals. But I have myself a few times so I'll just go fuck myself now. lol!

Very easy to over use reverb, a lot of commercial recordings use the now common reverb in the chorus trick along with the long delay only at the end of phrases trick. They're moldy oldies but they still have their uses-especially as an obvious effect to catch listener attention. I even hear it in alt rock and hard rock productions from major name bands. Doesn't mean we have to copy 'em-just knowing how to do it can help generate other ideas though. Tough to be original if you don't try what's already been done.

Back