Slate VMS Signal Chain Question

JohnnyAmato

Hello, I looked around for a while and could not find specific answers to this. Sorry if it's been answered before and I just didn't find it yet.

When using the Slate VMS (Virtual Mic System) in the VMR, you obviously have the mic choice first, then into whatever preamp you choose. My question is this; should I insert the VTM before this? And where would the VCC go in the same VMR instance, after the preamp? Then I'll use one of the Slate EQs for boosting whatever needs it, and sometimes Revival.

After the VMR, I then use the ProTools EQ for roll offs (hi and low passing). Should this also be before the mic, before the "boosting" EQ in the VMR?

Last, I like the Waves CLA-76 and CLA-2A compressors a lot on my vocals, so I insert them last, and then finally a de-esser.

Am I doing this right?

Hopefully I posted this in the right section.

What are VTM, VCC, and VMR?

I tend to use the de-esser early in the chain, so it doesn't cause any significant dropouts/dips.

If this helps... typical chain for me is... light compression (mostly to act as a normalizer)-->autotuning (if used)-->de-esser-->EQ-->limiter-->chorus/reverb/delay. If I use any preamp modeling it will occur later in the chain, just to add some color. Chains aren't a set-in-stone science, as you're probably aware, just wanted to provide an alternative strategy.

What are VTM, VCC, and VMR?

I tend to use the de-esser early in the chain, so it doesn't cause any significant dropouts/dips.

If this helps... typical chain for me is... light compression (mostly to act as a normalizer)-->autotuning (if used)-->de-esser-->EQ-->limiter-->chorus/reverb/delay. If I use any preamp modeling it will occur later in the chain, just to add some color. Chains aren't a set-in-stone science, as you're probably aware, just wanted to provide an alternative strategy.

Thanks for the reply, Pinky. I do understand basic chains, I was just hoping someone familiar with Slate chimed in, as they would totally understand the lingo. In a nutshell, VTM is the Virtual Tape Machine plugin, VCC is the Virtual Console Collection, and VMR is the Virtual Mix Rack. All awesome stuff, the issue I'm trying to figure out is the fact that the VMR contains the VCC and all the mic sims and preamps, (along with all of Slate's compressors, eq's, etc). So these all can only be used within the "Rack" which is just one inserted plugin with everything in it, if that makes sense.

Typically, you would record into tape, then onto the console. So I'm trying to see where other's who use this put the VTM, which traditionally should be after the mic and pre's, but before the console. The VTM and VMR are separate, while the VCC is within the VMR.

Confusing, I know, but like I said Slate users would understand the lingo and I was hoping to find a few here with some input. If you checked out Slate's website, you'd see all this too and know what I was talking about. Appreciate the input!!

Okay I got it. Sounds like they're trying to replicate an actual studio situation, which is fine (possibly preferred) for those with experience and/or training in a formal studio environment. In a less traditional sense, the order wouldn't necessarily matter unless you encountered an issue that resulted from the chain's processing order (which is why my chain has settled into the basic outline I posted above). In the box mixing with plugins doesn't have any technical requirements to follow a specific order, so long as you're watching the gain at each step.

I wouldn't foresee an issue using the VMR to accomplish all the VCC tasks, that separate VCC plugin is likely just for those who don't want to use the VMR. Your ears will be your guide for determining if the tape plugin works best before or after in the chain. I occasionally use tape plugins, they would end up nearer the end of the chain following my previous example as an effect like chorus, reverb, microshifting, etc.

I went a different direction (Waves, Superior Drummer) when I went fully digital a number of years ago, but slate's products were definitely on the short list of options. I couldn't justify the added cost compared to what I could get other plugins for. Slate has a solid rep regardless of my limited budget.

Back