"Robot" voice - vocoder?

mjbphotos

I found one (free) vocoder VST at VSTPlanet, but it's not really what I wanted for sound - anyone know of any other free vocoder VSTs? Or a way to get the sound using other plug-ins?

For robot, I just use the old DOS era text to speech converters. Then run the processing. There were youtube VIDs of doing Vocoder manually in Audacity, so it would be good to know that Basic processing

Reaper has one built in, and I've used TAL as well. I thought that TAL sounded a little better. Reaper's is a little "crispy" sounding.

I ended up getting Waves Morphoder on sale, but I can't figure out how to sidechain into it in Reaper. Its internal carrier signals are pretty good, but I'd love to be able to sidechain my own carrier into it.

SONiVOX Vocaliser Pro is now on sale at AudioDeluxe.com for $20.

Pam
8^8

Interesting, but I would get little use from it. Wondering if running some harmonized lines to the existing vocal going to the vocoder would give it more of the sound I'm looking for, Tthe SOnivox looks to rely on keyboard-MIDI input to drive the sound change.

Seems the modern stuff is to be played with the keyboard. Your typical fake singing Robot : )

Yeah, its the TAL one I tried. Couldn't figure out how to get anything out of the Reaper one!
Does this help?

I saw this thread the other day, and meant to go home and mess with it, but didn't actually get around to it. I even had a project that might have benefited from some vocoder action, though the ring modulator (actually, the JS ring mod that I hacked together) worked out well enough.

Try the IBM Watson thing - many options you can play around with, and speaks nicely but is recognisable as not real..

Oh heck there are several vocal synth VSTis out there. I haven't tried any of them myself, but google will bring you a few different things to mess around with if you want to try it out.

Ya, the first vst I ever bought was Alien Solo for the audio input. I had FM-7, but that's not the same kind of mangle process. I was interested in electric guitar to bass guitar synthesis, but its optimized for the vocal range.

If some vocoder don't sound good, plug it into your fuzz-wah : )

Try the IBM Watson thing - many options you can play around with, and speaks nicely but is recognisable as not real..

Link?

Does this help?

I saw this thread the other day, and meant to go home and mess with it, but didn't actually get around to it. I even had a project that might have benefited from some vocoder action, though the ring modulator (actually, the JS ring mod that I hacked together) worked out well enough.

Not much difference from the TAL as demoed. One thing I noticed, an annoying buzz-crackling sound. I put a narrow band EQ on the TAL track to get rid of that.

Back