Piano VST

Stuvenator

Hey guys!

My free trial of The Grand SE 3 by Steinberg just ran out and I'm looking into getting a new piano VST. What do you guys use? I'm looking for a good quality and realistic piano sound, price range isn't an issue.

Ive never used modelling tbh...I use kontakt and a few libraries.

I have NIs The gentleman and Piano collection (which might be discontinued)

Lately I bought Push 2 as Push 1 isnt sensitive enough for pianos. After a bit of research I settled with 8Dios 1928 and 1969 steinways...beautiful samples imo but they did push my budget, even with the 10% off by signing up to the site.

These two cover all the ground Ill ever need. Another consideration was soniccoutures the Hamersmith pro. Its actually cheaper than those two but 52gb was just too big. I also really like the sound of Orange Trees Evolution Rosewood Grand...good price too, but for me the 8Dios sound the best.

For modelling pianoteq kept comin up when I was researching a sample library...might be worth a peruse

Also Arturia Piano. Their latest VSTi's are very good.

When my Strindberg one ran out I swapped to pianoteq and my classical pianist I use loves the sound. The jazz close mikes pianos especially. It also allows clever pedalling too. I'm on the third version now and have just added the electric piano set. Worth a listen

I have the NI stuff (Komplete Ultimate 10) but I do like Addictive Keys' Studio Grand and Modern Upright pianos. Quick loading, quick response, and an amazing amount of tonal variation and control. Note, I'm not a pianist and I'm not using a weighted-key controller. I think you can download the full version and it will work in demo mode for a number of days.

Paj
8^)

Those are some nice pianos!

I can only vouch for one of them---the Steinway D, which UVI and KVR gave away for free a while ago as a bonus for making a purchase. Came with seven modes/variations. Sounds nice (clean and open) right out of the box; has necessary settings/adjustments for modifying playability and response. I do often call it up because it's a quick load for a straight sound. I'm not a pianist so your requirements may vary.

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
I've been really happy with Imperfect Sample's piano VSTs (though I have NOT been happy with Fastspring and Paypal's dollar/euro exchange rates, which are far out of date).

The ebony black grand Fazioli is just splendid, as well as the Braunschweig. I'll probably end up with almost all of them in the end.

California Keys has a Fazioli Grand (among other instruments/libraries) available on sale at KontaktHub. If you by the individual California Keys package, it will cost ~$500. If you buy the Producer Bundle, you will get four additional packages and the whole thing will cost ~$100 (90% off). Go figure. BTW, the California Keys package itself contains: Vintage E-Piano and Vintage W-Piano electric pianos; Vox Continental, Farfisa, and Hammond A100 organs; D6 Clavinet; and the Fazioli 10 ft grand with 10 mic channels, pedal sounds, key let offs, sustain pedal, all controllable via the V.M.S. dashboard. It alone is about a 36GB download. California Keys works with the Free Kontakt Player. The other four libraries (Master Studio Collection V1 & V2, Voices of Instanbul, Voices of the Aztecs) require the full version of Kontakt.

California Keys Producers Collection

Paj
8^)

Last edited:
Haha, good question!

My Swissonic 88 finally arrived. Like it a great deal, except the feel of the aftertouch. Hope I can get used to it but have my doubts, it's really hard to control properly. We'll see.

I am quite broke but happy. Piano V, the CS-80 V, and the Eighty Eight are doing well by me. I remember when the Production Grand 2 came out I nearly sprang for it due to the huge amount of samples and the John Wilson "Lands End" demo.

But then I realized the sound was normally not quite like that for the other demos, and it wasn't a sound I would normally use piano wise so I held off. . . (I can't play like John Wilson). I rarely use the warmer piano sounds. Still may get it someday when I'm flush. I still haven't deepened my Imperfect Samples pianos beyond the basic versions, and I know I'd like them with more expressiveness.

Yes lots to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and after. God is good.

Back