Melodyne v. Autotune

Armistice

Son of Yoda
I'm being stuffed around on a major purchase of something else so I'm going to put the hard word on the retailer to give me something at cost price to soothe me.... :D Either of these would be handy from time to time, but which?

I have little interest in anything but correcting the pitch on my occasional wonky vocal... so I'm guessing the "lite" options of either package would be all I'm going for.

Any thoughts?

I have the latest full version of melodyne, but I used to use an old version of Auto-tune. Between those two, I would go with melodyne. I have not used the latest version of auto-tune, but it looks like they made it more like melodyne than it used to be.

Melodyne makes it easy to just affect the notes you want, without messing with ones you don't.

is any better than the variaudio in cubase?

Oh you have no idea how much better. Variaudio not even in the same world as Melodyne man. Variaudio works for simple adjustments on occasion but does not sound near as real. Much easier to use tho as it is within Cubase.

The full version of Melodyne can actually change notes within a chord. I recently had a live recording where the guitar player inadvertently hit an open string during a performance. I was able to isolate the note and tune just the single bad note.

+1... I'm surprised how infrequently Waves Tune comes up regarding pitch correction. Very very versatile... Even the Light version is powerful.

One thing I really like about it is that is syncs with your session and you can control transport from within it's editor window.... this is very handy , especially when needing to work extensively with intricate correction / tweaks , particularly through long sections of material

Yes but waves Tune will not render or burn to cd in Vegas Pro. What you hear is great but what you get on cd is uncorrected. This is in Pro 13 and 14 not sure about earlier versions.

I get the cheapo version of Melodyne with Sonar X3. On the latest Melodyne update, I watched the video of the full version and was blown away on what you can do with instrument tracks.

Back