keyboard or vst?

sebastian90

Hi

I want to buy yamaha Tyros5-76.

Is better I buy a new PC (only case ) and VSTs, plugins and Simulators (professional) and sound card, Studio monitor, midi controller or Tyros5-76.

I want to make the most quality songs.

If you select PC with VSTs , etc please introduce pieces (PC) and VSTs, plugin, etc

Please guide me.

$5,000 is a lot to spend on a keyboard. You can easily come in at 2/3 that budget for a PC and software.

The topic of buying PCs is outside the scope of this section of forum. You would want to browse the Digital Computing topic, BEFORE posting, because the question about what computer to buy is asked A LOT. Then if you have a specific question regarding that, post away. ;) The Newbies section also has info on computers and sound cards.

Once you decide on a PC, there's any number of VSTi to choose from. Again, READ through this section as that topic is also covered a lot. Then once you perhaps have it down to a couple VSTi or VST packages, post.

You have to do a little of the foot work yourself.

Are you going to be playing a keyboard in gigs? If so, then buying an actual keyboard instrument (i.e., that makes sounds) is often preferred by keyboardists because then they don't need to cart around and hook up a computer system wherever their gigs take them. But if you're just going to be recording at home or in a studio, then setting up a computer system that will be staying in place shouldn't be a problem-- especially since you'll presumably need a computer anyway for your recording software.

As far as the Tyros is concerned, another issue besides its high price is its heavy weight. That shouldn't be an issue if you're just going to set in up at home or in a studio and leave it there, but it might be an issue if you're planning to do any gigging.

Are you going to be playing a keyboard in gigs? If so, then buying an actual keyboard instrument (i.e., that makes sounds) is often preferred by keyboardists because then they don't need to cart around and hook up a computer system wherever their gigs take them. But if you're just going to be recording at home or in a studio, then setting up a computer system that will be staying in place shouldn't be a problem-- especially since you'll presumably need a computer anyway for your recording software.

As far as the Tyros is concerned, another issue besides its high price is its heavy weight. That shouldn't be an issue if you're just going to set in up at home or in a studio and leave it there, but it might be an issue if you're planning to do any gigging.

Thanks

I want to create songs like "Jean Michel Jarre" at home.

Are there VSTs, plugins, Simulators, (Synthesizer) be high quality like "Tyros5-76".

What plugins(VSTs,Synthesizer,Simulators) do you suggest?

There are many, many high-quality plug-ins, soft synths, and sample libraries. Of the various free and not-free soft synths that I have, the best are probably Arturia's V Collection:

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/v-collection/overview

However, my opinion is no doubt influenced by the fact that the V Collection includes a digital recreation of a Moog Modular synth, which I've wanted ever since I was in junior high school way back in the early 1970s. ;)

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/modular-v/overview

Most commercial DAWs come with a set of their own virtual instruments, although the number of instruments varies depending on the particular edition of the DAW, since the number of instruments and effects included with the DAW tends to be the determining factor as to how expensive the DAW is. But some DAWs take a different approach-- they don't include a lot of instruments and effects, such that the cost of the DAW is minimal, and then you can buy and use whichever third-party plug-ins you want. Other DAWs limit you to the types of plug-ins you can use with them (e.g., VST plug-ins, or AU plug-ins, or whatever).

Note that I'm just a dabbler with a very limited budget, and my interests lean more towards electronic music, so I don't have experience with some of the high-priced orchestral software, but some of the ones I've heard of are Garritan, EastWest, IK Multimedia, and UVI, to name a few:

Garritan Virtual Instruments & Sound Libraries

EastWest/Quantum Leap - Award Winning Virtual Instruments

IK Multimedia | Miroslav Philharmonik 2

http://www.uvi.net/en/orchestral-composer/orchestral-suite.html

There are many, many high-quality plug-ins, soft synths, and sample libraries. Of the various free and not-free soft synths that I have, the best are probably Arturia's V Collection:

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/v-collection/overview

However, my opinion is no doubt influenced by the fact that the V Collection includes a digital recreation of a Moog Modular synth, which I've wanted ever since I was in junior high school way back in the early 1970s. ;)

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/modular-v/overview

Most commercial DAWs come with a set of their own virtual instruments, although the number of instruments varies depending on the particular edition of the DAW, since the number of instruments and effects included with the DAW tends to be the determining factor as to how expensive the DAW is. But some DAWs take a different approach-- they don't include a lot of instruments and effects, such that the cost of the DAW is minimal, and then you can buy and use whichever third-party plug-ins you want. Other DAWs limit you to the types of plug-ins you can use with them (e.g., VST plug-ins, or AU plug-ins, or whatever).

Note that I'm just a dabbler with a very limited budget, and my interests lean more towards electronic music, so I don't have experience with some of the high-priced orchestral software, but some of the ones I've heard of are Garritan, EastWest, IK Multimedia, and UVI, to name a few:

Garritan Virtual Instruments & Sound Libraries

EastWest/Quantum Leap - Award Winning Virtual Instruments

IK Multimedia | Miroslav Philharmonik 2

http://www.uvi.net/en/orchestral-composer/orchestral-suite.html

Thank you very much

What is your opinion about "Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2", "Trilogy" and steinberg's products.

Likewise Please introduce the best Rhythm's packs and loop's pack

Last edited:

I use this VST, and it's okayish but unstable. Every so often it just stops communicating with the usb keyboard input, even though other VSTs continue to work fine with the same keyboard. Usually restarting the DAW resolves it. Sometimes removing the plugin and re-adding it to the track resolves the glitch, sometimes not. Miroslav came free with an Amplitube bundle so I can't complain.

Thank you very much

What is your opinion about "Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2", "Trilogy" and steinberg's products.

Likewise Please introduce the best Rhythm's packs and loop's pack

I have no experience with Spectrasonics and their products, but I've just bookmarked their site so I can go check them out later when I have more time. And if they have any free demos, I'll try them out and let you know what I think. :)

Steinberg invented VST technology. I do have the cheapest version of their DAW (Cubase Elements 8), which has only three included instruments. However, I generally use the Acoustica Mixcraft DAW more than any of the other DAWs that I have, not because I think Mixcraft is so much better than the others (which it isn't), but because I think it's the easiest one for me to use with my keyboards and is the one I have the most experience with. Cubase is much better than Mixcraft in some ways-- e.g., Cubase can use SysEx MIDI messages, whereas Mixcraft cannot-- but on the other hand it's simpler to do some things in Mixcraft than in Cubase.

Anyway, I use a lot of plug-ins with Mixcraft, and have trouble remembering which plug-ins came from where, so offhand I can't say how good Steinberg's instruments are, but I'll make a point to check out the three instruments that come with Cubase Elements.

However, I might not be able to get to anything until this weekend at the earliest.

I have used the Miroslav Philharmonik 2. It is pretty complex, you have get your plug in set up and then allow each section to communicate via different MIDI channels. Example, one plug in, many various MIDI tracks that drive each one by the channel setting. Like old school MIDI modules. I purchased the upgrade, it was on sale.

The 2 version seems much more stable than earlier versions, but I have not used it as much in the past. I think the next level above it would begin costing much more. Watch for a sale and I think it could be had for around $200.

After that, I use Ableton's various plugins that allow one to create instruments either through sound generation editors or samplers. Very powerful, but the full version of Ableton runs around 600+. I like many features of it, great for free style jamming or live playing with their grid system. It is also very good as a traditional DAW. It is worth the money if you use all of its tools. If you do choose it, make sure you know what you are choosing.

There are many capable DAWs, Reaper I usually recommend, but Ableton has a place for many as well.

Plugins are a blessing and a curse. So many out there, you can go crazy trying to get the right sound. While one may sound bad to others, it might be the one for you for that special sound. Very hard to say what is good and bad. You just have to try them out when they give you an opportunity with demo versions.

the full version of Ableton runs around 600+. I like many features of it, great for free style jamming or live playing with their grid system. It is also very good as a traditional DAW. It is worth the money if you use all of its tools. If you do choose it, make sure you know what you are choosing.

Every year in early June Ableton offers their best discount on Live. They offer discounts several times each year, but the discount in June is always the biggest one. I was disappointed because this year the June discount was only 25%, whereas in prior years it was 30%. It made me sorry that I hadn't upgraded from Live Lite to Live Suite back when it was still at the 30% discount. I'm curious to see what it will be next June, especially since Ableton must be starting to think about moving up to Live 10. They just released 9.7, and version 8 only went up to 8.4, so version 10 can't be too far off.

Every year in early June Ableton offers their best discount on Live. They offer discounts several times each year, but the discount in June is always the biggest one. I was disappointed because this year the June discount was only 25%, whereas in prior years it was 30%. It made me sorry that I hadn't upgraded from Live Lite to Live Suite back when it was still at the 30% discount. I'm curious to see what it will be next June, especially since Ableton must be starting to think about moving up to Live 10. They just released 9.7, and version 8 only went up to 8.4, so version 10 can't be too far off.

Yea, I think you are right, I need to check I haven't really looked at any of the updates, most are around Push or something I don't use. I think it is a cool tool, but as I stated, for many it might not be money well spent.

I do love to jam with it sometimes, get the grids to fill up and then use the APC40 and start messing with dials and effects. Probably sounds like crap, but it has to be the best electronic jamming tool out there.

The emails and web ads for the Live update discounts do emphasize Push, but the discounts apply to any upgrade, with or without Push-- except for upgrading from Live Lite to Live Intro, which isn't enough of a move up for Ableton to offer a discount.

The emails and web ads for the Live update discounts do emphasize Push, but the discounts apply to any upgrade, with or without Push-- except for upgrading from Live Lite to Live Intro, which isn't enough of a move up for Ableton to offer a discount.

I was mainly referring to the 9.X upgrades. After about 9.4, most bugs were fixed and was very stable. the point releases (.X) after 9.4 were mainly around Push.

I purchased the original version Philharmonik1, IK Multimedia | Miroslav Philharmonik when it first came out. I think I paid around $200 for it. It works fine, for me...never glitches. And yes, you have to spread the sounds out some. As far as orchestra sounds, it's pretty good, if you ask me. I did have to tweak some of the sounds because I didn't like the original attack and release on some sounds, but I think it was a good purchase for me.

I've recently found that it seems you can download this program for FREE? Figures. Oh well.

Here's a song that was created with that library of sounds. Although this software has a nice grand piano sound, the piano in the song was a different VST program, also quite good, for the price of $99. It has grand piano sounds, upright grand sounds, and various Fender Rhoads type of sounds. Yes, it's a cheap way to get my music heard!

https://soundcloud.com/just-another-old-musician/haunted

Last edited:
Back