Guitar VSTs

Armistice

Son of Yoda
OK, I'm not talking amp sims here, not interested in them, I'm talking phasers, and flangers and choruses and delays and the like. stompbox stuff.

And I'm being lazy. Anyone have any particular line/source of VSTs they recommend for electric guitar?

I've got a Boss GT10 with a gazillion reasonable effects that I could use via sends for stuff as I don't want to record things to "tape", but that just seems too hard, and I've got a smattering of VSTs here and there that do various of the above, however none of them is particular guitar focused.

Surely someone's made stomp box VSTs?

What do you guys use?

Cheers dudes...

I've been pleasantly surprised with the GTR effects from Waves. I didn't even know that Waves did amp sims and stomp box VSTs until I bought the Gold bundle. Looks like $50 buys you the whole GTR3 set, not a bad deal. Their Tube Screamer clone is pretty good, I've been playing with it on random instruments and vocals lately.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the GTR effects from Waves. I didn't even know that Waves did amp sims and stomp box VSTs until I bought the Gold bundle. Looks like $50 buys you the whole GTR3 set, not a bad deal. Their Tube Screamer clone is pretty good, I've been playing with it on random instruments and vocals lately.

Ditto. I exclusively used Waves GTR3 on my Christmas EP (you can hear it on my site below) and was really happy with the amp simulation and the pedals available. You might also check out iStomp. It's not VST, but it might suit your purposes.

Amplitube fan here, and there's a lot of good pedals included and more you can buy from their online store. I've not once thought I needed anything 'better', nor have I felt I needed something from their store. Then again, I tend to make do with what's available and even add other plugins to the track for desired effect (not relying entirely on the guitar VST for all the 'effects').

Amplitube fan here, and there's a lot of good pedals included and more you can buy from their online store. I've not once thought I needed anything 'better', nor have I felt I needed something from their store. Then again, I tend to make do with what's available and even add other plugins to the track for desired effect (not relying entirely on the guitar VST for all the 'effects').

Think I have the freebie version of that... I'll see what comes with it by way of "pedals".

Thanks all.

I use basically all the ampsim makers' effects on my amp'd tracks...Each one does different things a little better than the others...Of course, it depends on what you're after, sound-wise too...I've learned to use the mix knob (in Reaper, the one at the top of the plug-in, that's there for each one btw) to control how much of the effect goes on one of my amp'd tracks...this is for modulation/delay/time-based effects though...overdrives, wah, etc need to be full-on of course...)There's lots of ways to get there, you just have to fiddle with 'em to find out what's best for you....

I actually did a little comparison between my real Boss SD-1, & the simulation in Amplitube 3 (using a guitar di, re-amped...I put my pedal between the re-amp box & the amp, the AT3 sim was on the di, going into the amp), & it was actually pretty close to be honest, a lot closer than I thought it'd be...

I even use the wah pedals from these ampsims, using automation to control 'em...Again, you'd be surprised how they sound ran into a real amp...Again, you do have to fiddle with the effects to get 'em to sound natural (to me anyway), but they can be quite useable IMHO...YMMV...

I have gotten good sounds from using VST amp simulator in cubase, it's ok but 99.999% of the time I prefer a real amp

I use basically all the ampsim makers' effects on my amp'd tracks...Each one does different things a little better than the others...Of course, it depends on what you're after, sound-wise too...I've learned to use the mix knob (in Reaper, the one at the top of the plug-in, that's there for each one btw) to control how much of the effect goes on one of my amp'd tracks...this is for modulation/delay/time-based effects though...overdrives, wah, etc need to be full-on of course...)There's lots of ways to get there, you just have to fiddle with 'em to find out what's best for you....

I actually did a little comparison between my real Boss SD-1, & the simulation in Amplitube 3 (using a guitar di, re-amped...I put my pedal between the re-amp box & the amp, the AT3 sim was on the di, going into the amp), & it was actually pretty close to be honest, a lot closer than I thought it'd be...

I even use the wah pedals from these ampsims, using automation to control 'em...Again, you'd be surprised how they sound ran into a real amp...Again, you do have to fiddle with the effects to get 'em to sound natural (to me anyway), but they can be quite useable IMHO...YMMV...

Thanks. I really hate amp sim programs so I haven't delved into what I've got. I have a few but I think they're just sims, because they're freebies. Hence the question, but I'll see what I've got that I'm not aware of...:thumbs up:

Cheers, I'll check that out...
I have gotten good sounds from using VST amp simulator in cubase, it's ok but 99.999% of the time I prefer a real amp

100% of the time I prefer and use a real amp (so far, anyway) - that wasn't what I was asking, but thanks for the input. Cheers.

Guitar Rig and Amplitude like jonny deep posted.....

Thanks dude.

I mean even a "real" pedal isn't going to sound much like it's "made for guitar" if you just plug it straight into the mixer. Nothing sounds like a guitar until it goes through something at least approximates the frequency response of a speaker cabinet voiced for guitar.

I like the fact that PodFarm allows you to instantiate one single "pedal" as a VST of its own, rather than having to load up all of Amplitube just for that one effect. IDK if it's really much more efficient... I will use their wahs, but I have so many other options for most of the other things (except that moogerfooger looking synthifier thing).

I'm "working on" replacing my physical pedalboard with plugins, and currently it looks like this:

PodFarm Wah Chrome
NSFW - a JS plugin I wrote that emulates my DIY boost/treble boost/TubeScreamer kinda thing
lt pedal delay - another homebrew plug, see below
ReaVerbate (filters set at like 200 and 5K)
mdaRezFilter
MVibrato
Infernal Diseased Dire Rat - another JS I wrote that works a lot like my DIY modded Rat

And then into the same PodFarm British Class A that I run the real things through. It really does sound and work just about the same as the physical board, except that the physical controller is not particularly intuitive at the moment.

The one thing that I had trouble finding was a delay that actually works like a pedal delay when you set it to infinite repeats. Most VST delays will just keep getting louder and louder until your DAW automutes or it gets to be like 6 trillion times as loud as your converters can put out. An actual pedal delay uses a messy sort of compansion around the feedback loop to stop this from happening. As you play new material in, it all kinda pushes down in an organic and intuitive way without ever escalating to obliteration. Yeah, so I hacked one of the existing JS delays to do that. I also added "opamp" clipping and filters similar to what's found in the Boss digital pedals.

Here's a couple tracks using real amps/cabs/mics, but I put vst effects on 'em, just like you were asking about....Not gonna post any particulars on the tracks (amp/cab/etc), but the effects on these are from Guitar Rig 5....One's got a chorus, & the other has a chorus & a phaser....IIRC, I had the mix in GR5 about 50% so it would sound a little more natural....

Clean chorus

Clean phaser/chorus

I would check out recabinet 4. It's the first amp sim that I can honestly say I would wouldn't cringe to death using over a real amplifier.

Back