Editing WAV files using VSTs?

GJP1979

Hello!

I primarily use a standalone Tascam digital machine for tracking and mixing, and occasionally dump the individual tracks into Cool Edit Pro for minor repairs and tweaks. I personally don't like mixing with software, and thus I've never really explored the newer DAW programs out there.

What I would like to do is utilize some VSTs to further edit my WAV files. For example. there are several free tape saturation and tube emulator VSTs out there. Is there a relatively painless way to use these VSTs in conjunction with other editing software to simply apply the effect to any given WAV file, and then save the results as a new file to be dropped into the mix?

I hope this makes sense. Seems like it should be simple, but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I have a template I've created for my DAW with my mastering chain VSTs all set, just drop the WAV file in and adjust the plugins accordingly.

That's basically the function of a DAW (assigning VSTs to tracks, even saving templates for easier setup later, etc). The ability to stack VSTs like a virtual rack has really made homerecording easier than ever.

You say you don't like mixing with software but haven't 'really explored' it? Maybe it's time to stop holding out?

You say you don't like mixing with software but haven't 'really explored' it? Maybe it's time to stop holding out?

I may do more of that in the future, but right now I'm in the final stretches of a massive recording project, so I plan to mix in the environment I'm familiar with. We can all have a good laugh at my Byzantine methods, but that's ultimately besides the point.

Of course I am open to using any software you suggest for the specific function I've asked about. I only have a handful of tracks that need a little extra attention.

I may do more of that in the future, but right now I'm in the final stretches of a massive recording project, so I plan to mix in the environment I'm familiar with. We can all have a good laugh at my Byzantine methods, but that's ultimately besides the point.

Of course I am open to using any software you suggest for the specific function I've asked about. I only have a handful of tracks that need a little extra attention.

I'm not laughing and I understand wanting to stick with what works. I also understand the benefits of moving to a better tool for what you're doing. Once you make the jump you can do better work by hearing the effects in context, and you can do it faster. But there is going to be some time and effort needed to get things sorted. I suggest that once you finish your current project you should try mixing one of the songs in software.

Get Reaper. The included plugins will offer a ton of options, and you can use third party VST plugins.

Hello!

I primarily use a standalone Tascam digital machine for tracking and mixing, and occasionally dump the individual tracks into Cool Edit Pro for minor repairs and tweaks. I personally don't like mixing with software, and thus I've never really explored the newer DAW programs out there.

What I would like to do is utilize some VSTs to further edit my WAV files. For example. there are several free tape saturation and tube emulator VSTs out there. Is there a relatively painless way to use these VSTs in conjunction with other editing software to simply apply the effect to any given WAV file, and then save the results as a new file to be dropped into the mix?

I hope this makes sense. Seems like it should be simple, but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. Thanks for your help!

There are applications like Soundforge or Wavelab. You can load a specific WAV, do your messing about, then save it. If they don't come with the plugins that you need, you will have to source those elsewhere.

Go! Do it. You will discover a total new world full off great options.

Start easy. Don't want to much. Start with some simple cutting and editting. For vst's no more then a few simple things like echo/reverb and EQ. Building it up with one step (vst) at a time, learning all posibilities each vst gives you.
Otherwise you will be overwhelmed by the million possibilities which make you do too much. If you walk too hard you will stumble.

Audacity (not a full DAW) is a great free program to edit and master slightly.

I thought Wavelab was pretty cool, but that is on my xp media center box.

I'd certainly get a feel of things with Reaper, or, something, though. Exporting a track that you put plugs on is pretty easy. You just have to make sure its a type the tascam can use

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone. I think what it comes down to is that I just need a basic free wave editor which supports VSTs. The full-featured DAWs are just way too complex for my application.

That will work, but the rub is that many of the types of processing do better across multiple tracks

Back