East West Hollywood Orchestra.

Hey guys.
Wow. Thanks for sticking around and offering support. :) Much appreciated.

I think you're right. The supplied drive is meant to be a carrier rather than a streaming drive for use but even if it's not ideal I'm not convinced that's a contributor.
As I say, I get random 8-10 second locks ups just during playback/editing when the HDD isn't even being accessed.
I get all the same issues when I load a heavy session right into RAM too.

Further than that, I loaded up the play application in standalone and found it to be much more responsive than in Protools.
I'm going to load it up in reaper to see how it gets on. Although I don't know reaper well at all, it'll serve as a decent test.

Pilk, you'll have to let us know how you get on with your new libraries. I'm eager to hear. :)

hey steen try this you might be in for a surprise ... ive used this for years for finding the fastest drive to record to,it might be long in the tooth but i used it last week and ran fine on win7 :)

it does physical and logical tests :)

Roadkil's Disk Speed 47,947 bytes

Roadkil.Net - Roadkil's Disk Speed Program Download

screenshots.php

Hey man,
Thanks for the info and link. I'm on OS X, though so I can't make use of it.

There's a similar archaic app on OS X that I would use for a rough idea of a drive's capability. It's called Xbench.
Does a similar sequence of random/sequential read/writes of different block sizes.

I think I'll put up with it, to be honest.
The initial load times aren't that big a deal. It's the ten second, seemingly random, breaks that kill me. lol.
That's gotta be just a play/ProTools glitch, since the HDD isn't even being accessed.

Well I got a bit more of a play with it today.
Waiting times aside, I got on pretty well with it. I only really used strings.

I think my song choice was bad, all the same. I'm not enjoying my voice on this one.

Anyway, enjoy. :)

Update report.
I have about 150gb spare space on my SSD drive which was enough to temporarily move one of the four libraries.
I did that and ran a session with that library (woodwind) only to see how it would work out.

Predictably, load times were much faster but, I have to admit, the glitches and hold ups were much less frequent.
Pretty pleased with that, I ordered a 1Tb SSD. :)

I'll come back and let you know how it plays.
Thanks for all the tips, guys. :)

Last edited:
Update report.
I have about 150gb spare space on my SSD drive which was enough to temporarily move one of the four libraries.
I did that and ran a session with that library (woodwind) only to see how it would work out.

Predictably, load times were much faster but, I have to admit, the glitches and hold ups were much less frequent.
Pretty pleased with that, I ordered a 1gb SSD. :)

I'll come back and let you know how it plays.
Thanks for all the tips, guys. :)

I assume you mean 1TB?! And if so, ouch - that'll be some price!

Steen, my opinion, that song is great. The rest of the conversation... No experience so no opinion. Learning a lot! LoL

Hey all. I finally got my SSD. 1tb samsung 840 evo.
My system and small storage drives are PM830 and 840 pro, so the 1tb falls safely between the two.

While I was waiting for it I treated myself to a sata III pci card which effectively doubles transfer speeds on any two drives.
Total bandwidth is only enough to take two drives close to the limits. Three drives sharing it would be pointless.

I'm now hitting around 500mb/s peak (per drive) instead of 260/270, on my two storage drives.
The system drive is still on sata II built-in.

Anyway, I thought I'd report that play engine still stalls once in a while for a break and still pauses when I save a session, but load times are MUCH more tolerable.
Overall session load times when from about 2:30 to 15 seconds.
Patch loading went from anywhere between 0:15-2:00, depending on the patch down to just seconds. The longest I've noticed has been about 5-10 seconds.

Much MUCH happier now. :)
So headsup - I could see hollywood orchestra seriously impacting on productivity without an SSD.

Thanks for all the info and advice in this thread. :)

Totally going to buy this tomorrow.
Thought I would post here first incase anyone has any info they can share.

It seems too good to be true. The current price for Diamond is 80% off and works out cheaper than gold...
I don't really understand why but I've searched and can't find the catch.

As I understand it, the diamond collection contains diamond strings, brass, woodwind and percussion.
5 mic positions, all articulations....The heap, right?
If that's the case, the strings section alone currently costs more than the full orchestra.

Can any one point out the glaringly obvious thing that I've missed?

Thanks. :)

Edit. I should have pointed out that my computer is pretty powerful so that's not a concern.
12 cores @ 2.66, 24gb ram (will go to 48 if needed) and the sample library will be shipped to me on a usb3 drive but I'll be fitting it internally.

Holy smokes! That's one heck of a computer you have.

Holy smokes! That's one heck of a computer you have.

Heh yeah. I'm trying to avoid upgrading for as long as possible with apple's prices.
Get the best (used) machine you can get, and get 10 years out of it if possible - That's the logic.

If anyone's following, 24gb ram seems more than adequate.
Some of the other forums would have you believe otherwise. Maybe those guys are doing full blown orchestral scoring or something?!

Back