Best software to use to slow down tracks for thicker sound (like tape)?

Lonedroner

Best software to use to slow down tracks for thicker sound (like tape)?

Hi. Just wondering what are some of the options I can use to get a thicker overall sound. Will Waves Soundshifter do the job? Thanks

Why do you want to "slow down" the tracks.

If you want a more 'tape like ' sound there are plenty of tape plugins.

Maybe I'm not getting you, but it sounds like you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

Reaper does this natively. You can adjust the master playrate to affect the entire mix or you can adjust each item's playrate individually. In this case you'd want "Preserve Pitch..." turned off.

I have saturation plugins, I'm going more for the sound of tape slowed down to a lower speed.

Ok, so the question remains. Why?

Are you wanting pitch changes, or are you wanting the loss of fidelity one gets when running tape at a slower speed?

With my experience with tape, recording at 7 1/2 IPS instead of 15, it never sounded "fatter" just more Lo-Fi..

I don't think most emulation plugs have pitch control, other than a few for Mac.

Regular speed correction and a tape plug should get close

Sorry, thought I did answer his question. I want the sound of a slightly slower speed. More than a pitch change. I checked over at Gearslutz, and there were many others looking for the same thing. Was hoping someone over here might know.

Look, there's nothing magical about this. It's not an effect limited to tape, or, record players. On the digital end, its pretty common with samplers

Thanks, if there isn't anything else out there, maybe I could just use Reaper and export the tracks to my DAW.
Or just switch to Reaper. It's better than your DAW anyway. ;)

Slowing a recording down shifts the entire frequency spectrum downward and almost always makes things darker by its very nature. Consider that when recording at 44.1K, you have captured absolutely nothing above 22KHz. If you go to the extreme of slowing it to half speed, your playback will have nothing above 11K. I know we're probably not talking about going that far, but even slowing to 90% will shift that cutoff frequency down to right around 18K, and will make subtle but a noticeable difference in the "air" around the sound.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same as happens with tape, but I think it does automatically cause the "loss of fidelity" thing fairly well. If you want the other aspects of tape like compression/saturation or EQ there are plenty other ways to accomplish that.

The, general effect, is small. Move a guitar string down a fret. Basically, speed correction was intended for easy pitch matching

speed change with a recorder in front of the speaker. Little fast to a little slow

Attachments

• 130819_0018.MP3
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
Back