Barrel/Street Organ VST?

YanKleber

Retired
I am after a VST (preferably free) that emulates a Barrel/Street organ for Windows. For whose are not familiarized with, it's a vintage automatic instrument that people used to play for coins (very popular in European streets I think) by turning a crank. It's like a big wooden music box with pipes. Not a hurdy-grudy.

Here a sample of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nWTbb3CUj4

I would be very glad with any VST that sounds similar to it...

Thanks!

Honestly the sustain of those notes sounds a lot like a slightly breathy flute. I would think a decent polyphonic flute (maybe pan- maybe shakahuachi?) could get you close. There is that very distinctive attack that's almost like a click. You could almost layer in a somewhat dull clave of woodblock...

But I'm really just replying in hopes that you'll find something better.

There's a virtual calliope at Hit Squad. Not sure of the quality, but I think it's free. It is in soundfont format, so any VST sampler should be able to play it.
How goes life in Brasil Yan? Long time, no hear. :)

Hey fellows!

I am in need of it to build a small final part on one of my tunes. The song is called 'Carousel' so I want to make something like a park carousel at the end. I have made it using two instances os VB3 VST and it sounded kind of decent for the purpose but I was just thinking if it could get better...

I am adding the last 38 seconds of the song then you can have an idea about what I have and let me know if it sounds minimally nice for you...

https://soundcloud.com/estereolux/carousel-final

:confused:

Broken_H, things in Brasil are fine! I passed by a surgery to remove my gallbladder 2 years ago (man, I didn't notice that I was away from here that much!) and now I am about to get under the knife one more time in one month or two. In this mean time I stayed producing my stuff. I have finished the first album (an EP in fact - 5 tracks) and have another one done (10 tracks). All the graphic part (cover, booklet, etc) is also done for a small run. As usual my main issue is in the mixing part because it never seem to have THAT quality it supposed to. Since it is for free distribution (no commercial intention here) I already put a dead line on it (this April) so it will be released as is no matter what - LoL!

:D

There is also a free version of Organux VSTi. Might be worth a listen.

THere's also a free trial of Virtual Steam Calliope from Pipeloops. (Bottom set of links here.)

Broken_H, I ended sticking with my solution using the VB3 VST. I didn't bother to download Calliope because I saw that it is a soundfont and I never managed how to use it (I am more a VST guy). I am excited to try Organux. Downloaded but didn't try it yet because I am finishing my CD stuff.

:)

Back