32 to 64?

andrushkiwt

I keep reading about "bridging" something to make 32 bit vst's work on a 64 bit system. Can anyone explain this? Is it easy? Recommend doing it? There are many, many vst's I'm not able to use on this laptop that I would like to try. Blockfish being just one.

Thanks!

There is a program called J-bridge that will allow you to use 32 bit vst's in a 64 bit environment. It isn't difficult, but it isn't free.

No - but it's less than $20 and is a lifesaver. I upgraded to Cubase 9 without realising the implication. J-bridge got the vast majority of my plugins up and running with little effort. You just tell cubase to NOT look in the old location where your original plugins are and use the alternate location where the bridged version live.

As far as I can tell, there is no issue at all and everything works as before. Best for me, old cubase projects still load up and work - there was something on the net that said you had to tweak each project, but so far, all mine just open as normal. In use, bridge just works and doesn't need you to do anything.

To echo what everyone stated about J-bridge. But, some DAWs support it OOTB, so double check your DAW first. Reaper does this standard, Ableton does not. I put the JBridge VSTs in my plugin directory and Ableton picked it up no problems.

Also, double check for a 64 bit version of your VST if it is possible.

I gave up on J-bridge. Only because I don't really need it and I had some problems with it. I'm only on one Windows 64-bit for the most part. The Linux machines are all 64. The box in the music room has my 32-bit installs on it also, so the old plugs are there. I record odds and ends on this box too and I do processing and conversions. I can boot into two other 64-bit, if I want 64. I don't seem to be making special trip to 32-bit just to use those old plugs, though : )

I don't buy a lot of plugs, anyway, but there's more plugs than we can shake a stick at, so it might be hard to really justify the 32-bit ?

Good luck with Blockfish !

(for the most part my DAW are bridging their old stock plugs, it seems)

Back