ZED 10FX and StudioLive 1602

polarity

I'm trying to figure out how to make this work (if it can work).

The StudioLive is the board I want to use. I can do 16 track recording with it which was one of the main reasons I picked it. That being said it has 12 preamps for 16 channels. I was hoping to use the ZED10FX on the last 4 channels (really I only need 1 channel from the ZED but if I can do more that is fine with me. The ZED seems to color the sound, kind of warmer sounding while the presonus is just normal. I was wanting to keep it so that I could hook a mic into the ZED for the warm preamp, route it to channel 16 on the presonus and then into my DAW.

Anyone know much about the options on the ZED10FX? I see the line level (if that's the right word) input on the back of the studio live, but I can't figure out which out to use on the ZED. Any help would be appreciated.

The main out is XLR and I wanted to use the preamp in the ZED instead of the one on the presonus. I thought if I hooked from main out into a xlr input on the presonus I would be doing it wrong. I may have been mistaken

It does seem to sound muffled/distorted using this method though so I guess it's back to the drawing board. Should I just do XLR out with a converter to 1/4" jack?

An XLR to TRS cable (pretty standard stuff) should work fine--I haven't checked that the line ins on the Presonus are balanced but I'd be surprised if not.

FYI, the Zed outputs are line level even though on XLR. A lot of gear (particularly at the pro end of the scale) use XLRs for all balanced connections whether line or mic level.

Back