Z-Sys Optipatch+ User Feedback

Jay Tee 4303

About to pull the trigger on purchases to connect the control room, tracking room, listening room/lounge, and iso room together.

Tracking core is a Profire 2626 w 2 ADA8000's, control room core is a pair of MOTU 2408 mk3s, and I'll use additional ADA-8000s or similar as terminals in the other two rooms, so the backbone will be all ADAT via Toslink.

Three questions, two simple, one vague, cause my info and experience in this area is weak...

I need two 25 to 30 foot ADAT pipes to connect the iso room to tracking. (Tracking is set up to be used solo, with CR in cold shutdown, and I want to preserve this option, while adding optional connections to control for larger projects with more people involved.) Is Toslink an option for a 25 to 30 foot run, or should I cut to the chase and use converters and Cat-5 from the get go?

How well do users of the Optipatch+ like it? Looking for set it and forget it here, outside of switching on and off the control room. Is this a good box?

ADAT sync and timing thru a digital patchbay...I use identical Toslink pipes for each ADAT I/O pair, but obviously, I have several different lengths of runs in this case. Planning on 13 ADAT I/O links, plus room for expansion. To keep tracking setup for standalone use, I have to use the Profire 2626 for sync master, if I want to sync it all with just the ADAT pipes. This gonna fly? Do I need to use a better, dedicated sync master, Which one and why? Are different run lengths going to be an issue? Can the 2626 drive that many units? Is that even an applicable question? Will the patchbay give me problems with sync? I will probably use 24 bit 48k sample rates throughout. good enough for what I'm doing, and suited for audio and video, (next major evolution).

What might I be missing?

Thanks for any advice.

*Assuming* the Optipatch is more or less an optical-only version of the Digital Detangler, I have no complaints.

That said, the DD is "dumb" -- It's only transferring a digital signal from one point to another -- If the Optipatch is syncing / clocking, I have no idea how well it works.

Thanks, MM. The website says its like a detangler 8.8, optical only, 15 I/O ports.

It won't be syncing /clocking per se, only passing it thru, hopefully.

I'll set up some tests before running the fiber drops and see what's what. If I have to, I'll find a suitable master clock.

Thanks!

Back