Are you satisfied with your gear?

Are you satisfied with your gear?

• I am (or have been) completely satisfied and want for nothing more.

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • I'm not satisfied and don't think I ever will be.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • I'm not (or haven't been), but I think I will be some day.

Votes: 9 33.3%

• Total voters
Something incredible happened today. I was looking at the equipment a high end studio has. Like, pristine U47, big SSL desk high end. And I didn't feel jealous. So I suppose I am pretty satisfied. Huh.

Something incredible happened today. I was looking at the equipment a high end studio has. Like, pristine U47, big SSL desk high end. And I didn't feel jealous. So I suppose I am pretty satisfied. Huh.

Funny I was just thinking the same thing the other day, I have a whole collection of gear that I really enjoy using, even the cheap stuff I own does its job. Of course being a gear junkie I still always look for more gear, however I now look for having different sounding gear more than have to have gear.

As I said earlier in this thread, "He who dies with the most toys wins" LOL

Alan.

I am in agreement with a lot of the replies so far..., my gear does it's job and when MY performance is good, I'm happy with the sound. I have equipment that I've still got a lot of playing with to do before I've "gotten all the juice out of it". I'm "satisfied" in that sense.

On the other hand, I know myself well enough to be certain that I will never be done experimenting, adjusting, fiddling and buying new gear.

If I were asking the question, I would break it into two areas:
1) Are you at a point that you have what you need to do musically, what it is you have in your mind?
2) Are you a gear junkie and have the itch to aquire new stuff just because it is "calling" you?

In this case I would answer yes to #1, and no to #2. Because, even though at some future time I may have a musical idea that would require some new piece of equipment, at THIS time I can't imagine anything I can't do (for lack of some gear).

It's clear we all need to stay away from the catalogs. LOL I think the best piece of advice is to focus on what you need to do and whether you can get that out of the equipment you have now. Throwing more money at gear won't really make your system better unless it is filling a need. Of course if you have the money... I put together a dream studio list once. It included 12 GML2020's 4 eight channel interfaces, and a host of the top effects including compressers like the Impresser and reverbs I had always dreamed of owning. Maybe someday. I hope that answers your question.
Rod Norman
Engineer

I'm curious if there's anyone who feels right now (or has felt at some time in the past) 100% satisfied with their gear and has no desire to acquire anything new or change anything. And I'm not talking about for like a day or so. I'm talking about a good 6 months or a few years or so. I was thinking of recording gear specifically, but I suppose instruments/etc. could play into it as well.

You know what I'm talking about --- the whole "Ok ... I'm set with my pres, but I'd really like to have a few more compressors for some more options," etc.

Anyone actually feel completely satisfied with what they've got to the point that all of their energies are going toward recording only and there's nothing nagging them in the back of their mind about some sexy piece of gear they need?

Poll to follow!

Well, no.

I do manage to keep the gear lust in check. I'm just not satisfied with the progress I'm making with the projects on the bench, all 14 of them, and the repairs I need to make to several pieces of gear...

Oh, and maybe actually use the gear I have.

I'm very satisfied with the gear I have...as far as it goes...but if I ever stop lusting after more stuff please check my pulse. I may be dead.

Back