yelp!

Yeah, Shailat, thanks - until further notice I'm using your ideas as a way into (and I hope, through) this. You're the compressor professor.

Okay, I found out that I like the sound best with low thresholds and low ratio (like maybe -20 and 2:1). Now, I'd like to set the Peak Limiter on the Behringer too, to avoid clipping, but the limiter LED never lights up with the above settings on the compressor. Is that because the compressor threshold's so low?

limiting starts with a 10:1 ratio.
A 2:1 ratio, is considered a light compression.

Set the Threshold high (you only want the peaks to be crushed and NOT the rest of your beautifull dynamic music).

Set the attack for a fast setting.

Yeah, but I can do both with the Behringer Composer, because it's got a compressor section *and* a limiter section, with different settings (although the limiter's dependent on the output setting in the compressor section). Or maybe you knew that...

The attack's fast (3 ms) and release as well (.75 s).

Actully I didn't know that. I don't use the Behringer.

If the limiter is receving the signal after the compresoor, then it could be that in your case, the threshold is not low enough. The peaks are not passing over the threshold you set.

If it's dependent on the output of the compressor then you might have to give more output for the limiter to work.

What are you trying to acheive?
Do you want to keep most of the dynamics but turn down a few peaks or make the tracks average level more consistant AND limit the peaks.
For the first limit only. For the second use both, with compressing first.

For general knowledge you should know that every compressor sounds a bit different and attack and release need different settings based upon the specific music you hear

Also dont be afraid if you cant always hear the difference
When you work with it. A sound of good compression can be subtle.
I'll repeat another thing: compression can tke quite a while to get control over. The more you work at it the better you'll get.

[This message has been edited by Shailat (edited 06-04-2000).]

Back