XLR "Y" to 1/8" stereo adapter -- will this work?

Roger_D

I have a Zoom H4n that can record 4 channels. It has 2 XLR phantom-powered inputs, which I'm using for condenser mics, but instead of using the built-in mics for the other 2 channels, I'd like to plug 2 SM57s into the 1/8" stereo mic input. (Plugging into this jack disables and replaces the built-in mics.) I've found this "Y" cable adapter which would work as far as connectivity goes, but I can't quite figure out if the pin wiring is what I need:

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/287017.html

Obviously, I'm going to have to drop balanced to unbalanced somehow and this is not a balun, but I think I can live with that provided I still get 2 separate channels. (The mics will generally be used in front of guitar cabs, so at least the level loss shouldn't be a problem.) Will that "Y" work, or better yet, does anyone know of a better way to do this? I thought it would be a common thing to want to do, but I can't seem to find any useful info. Thanks!

Looks like it will do what you're asking but it's hard to tell whether the hot pin will be correct with the data provided. Worst case is you have to swap the signal connections on the XLR female end...

Back