XLR Patch bay: suggestion?

robo

I am about to get an XLR Patch Bay (16/16 or 2x8/8).

Any particular brand to suggest in your experience?

I have looked at the

1. ART P16

2. Mamba 16C2C

3. and 4., Switchcraft and Connectronics seem to me to provide only panels but you need to complete them yourself.

(I know many of you would suggest to build one, but hey, I'm not into soldering.)

Thanks for your help!
Roberto

I'd get the Mamba for two reasons --

1) Neutrik connectors. ART doesn't seem to mention what they use. If I were building my own, I'd feel perfectly comfortable using Neutrik components.

2) Combo (XLR-1/4" TRS) jacks. Nice option.

I'd get the Mamba for two reasons --

1) Neutrik connectors. ART doesn't seem to mention what they use. If I were building my own, I'd feel perfectly comfortable using Neutrik components.

2) Combo (XLR-1/4" TRS) jacks. Nice option.

Thanks for your reply.
I think versatility (XLR/TRS) is a good added value but not essential, as I won't likely be using them other than with XLR.
But of course Neutrik connectors are a plus.
I forgot to mention prices, 89 for the ART, about 200 for the Mamba.

Hmmmm...at those prices I'm glad I "roll my own"!

Being serious for a second, do I read the Mamba site correctly that all you're getting for that is a box with male XLRs (well, combo sockets) on the front with a short interconnect to a female XLR on the back panel--meaning you still have to make or buy the tie lines into the studio?

If so, even if I hated soldering, I think I'd do it if only for the ability to solder the tie lines directly onto the patchfield XLRs and bypass the extra expensive connectors on the rear of the box. XLRs are probably the easiest connector there is to solder--I'd be surprised if it took even a soldering newbie more than an hour to do 16 connectors mounted on a plate.

Yeah...I also rolled my own.
Got the blank XLR panels cheap from MCM Electronics...and then just bought the female connectors that fit them (I think I might have gone with Switchcraft on those)....and just soldered on the cables to them going to the preamps, with a male XLR at the end for the pres.

I did 36 channel's worth for a little over $100....but was a few years ago, so not sure what the prices are like today.

Here you go:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-14040

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NC3FD-L-BAG-1

And here's a ready-made 24-channel...though I'm not sure which brand of XLR it uses (probably not Neutrik)

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/555-15491

Last edited:
Are you guys suggesting to do something like the attached image? (I've found it online)

I could give soldering a second thought, even if I already have many 10m XLR finished cables I could reuse (plugged into the drums mics), without the need to buy more. I would only have to buy shorter cables to connect from the mics to the patch bay (3/5m).

Attachments

• 100_4691.JPG
    100_4691.JPG
    849.8 KB · Views: 284
Do you think I can just "recycle" the XLR cables I have or do I need XLR female connectors?

Can I just unplug the cable from the mics, and "mount" them on a plate?
I would have XLR female connections anyway.

You could recycle the male end, but the female ends would need to be designed for mounting.

I just checked. I have TRS patch bays and one XLR but it's 4 female to male and 4 male to female.
Sorry about that. :(

That's ok. So if I get it right so far we have:

1. Buy a PB (possibly MAMBA). I would take the 10m cables I already have, plug them into the PB, buy 3/5m XLR cables and go with these from the PB to the mics.

2. Make a PB. I would buy cable for about 10m per channel (160m), plus 16 female connectors and a plate. I would leave the 10m cables I have where they are and plug them into the PB rather than into the Audio Card.

I actually don't see much saving into the 2nd option, but I'll do further researches!

Back