XLR panel

Kevin Deschwazi

I knocked this up today:

DSC02986.jpg

DSC02996.jpg

DSC02998.jpg

I’ve been meaning to do it for ages, now I can plug into any of my mic pres without messing about or having to leave a load of mic cables hanging over the desk.

Not the most exciting thing and tedious to make but it’s going to save me much hassle (and mess).

Thats pretty sweet!

Think i may do the same, as the more i thought about it, the more i realised i needed to bring XLR output connections from the back to the front aswell. And i think i'll add a couple MIDI ports too :)

Hmm, im not needing any more pre's in the immediate future, but i was looking at doing up a DIY preamp at some point. So i may look into those when i've got a bit more time :D Cheers! - Will

I've done exactly the same thing at my place using virtually the same blank panels.

I've got all my preamps on Male XLR's and the tie lines in the live room, booths, lounge, hallway on Female XLR's. It is far better than having to rememeber to switch the phantom power off before plugging into a 1/4" or Bantam patchbay.

I've also just built 12x JLM Baby Animals,

8x JLM14, JLM99v, JLM111DC
4x Cinemag CMMI-8PCA, API 2520, JLM111DC

I'm just waiting for blank 19u cases to house them, so should be up and running soon...can't wait :)

how much did it cost in materials to make that??

i want one, ive never seen anything like that before.

so that acts as a input for all of your pre's? pretty good idea. does any company make anything like that?

xlr patch bay

Yea, Whirlwind makes one for about $350.00. That's what I did,, I am not that good with a soldering iron to pull that off!

Very cool sir. I've been saying for years that this is exactly the kind of thing a person needs to be able to do if you want a studio. You can save yourself thousands by being able to fabricate these kind of things. I built this one between the control room and studio.
https://homerecording.com/bbs/attachment.php?attachmentid=5250&d=1051828833
Two thumbs uo bro.
that is damn near identical to what I built several years ago except i made mine with rack ears however mine may be a little diffrent configuration... on the front i used female switchcraft panel mount connectors at the back side i used male Switchcraft panel mount connectors that way in a pinch I can use a standard mic cable to make the connections to my preamps or mixer
however I make my own Cables to the length I need to make my connection.

I built 2 of these boxes for about 40 bucks however price on parts have gone up since then but I would say for 60 bucks you could make 2 really nice rack mount panel boxes.
give these guys a try, this is where I buy most of my hardware, fittings and a lot of my cable comes from there too.
http://www.wholesaleaudioaccessories.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Here's a picture of mine.

Cost me about £75 ($150) The XLR's are all Neutrik but PCB mount which I got for under a £1 each as a job lot of eBay and the blank panels from Thomann for roughly £5 each.

The 32 Male XLR's at the top are, 16 from the live room, 12 from the dead room, 4 from the 2 isolation booths.

The 24 Female XLR's are to my outboard preamps.

The 8 Male XLR's at the bottom are the lounge and the hallway.

Attachments

• XLR Panel.jpg
    XLR Panel.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
The panel was £5-6. The panel connectors were neutriks and cost £2.20 each I think, I skimped a bit more on the cable connectors as they're not going to see much action, they were like £1 each.

And the cable I already had on a reel. It's just standard, screened 2 core installation cable. The amount you need would only cost a few pounds/dollars though.

So about £30-£35 (or $60-$70) to make.

Roguetitan, it may be hard to tell from the photo but mine is built on a 2U blank rack spacer plate so it's rack moubtable too. All SwitchCraft and Beldon Cable. All 16 go to stand alone mic preamps. The line out from the preamps all route to the patchbay system.

Attachments

• Patchbay System.jpg
    Patchbay System.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 150
I knocked this up today:

DSC02986.jpg

I’ve been meaning to do it for ages, now I can plug into any of my mic pres without messing about or having to leave a load of mic cables hanging over the desk.

Not the most exciting thing and tedious to make but it’s going to save me much hassle (and mess).

You know the first application I thought was something like this XLR panel for the Tascam 2488, its so plastic with the Nuetrik connector soldered into the pcb and all that..

so something like this would be perfect to prevent damaging the actually units connectors and as you said prevent having all the cables dangling about. very cool

Back