XLR Confusion On Mackie Mixer

OldButYoung

I have a Fender Mustang III V.2 amp which is a modelling amp with USB in/out, dual XLR (stereo) out, and an FX loop.
I also have a Mackie ProFX8V2 mixer which has four XLR inputs as well as 1/4" inputs.
I'm as green as can be as far as recording and confused about the XLR inputs on the mixer.

Right now I'm experimenting with connections while reading manuals and watching videos and one of the things I was looking to do is output the amp to the mixer rather than having the mixer and amp using their own USB connections to my computer. Basically I want one input to the computer rather than two.
The amp's dual XLR outputs are stereo line level outs. The mixer's XLR inputs I THOUGHT are preamp inputs and the 1/4" jacks below them are for line level inputs. The manual for the mixer states: "XLR Inputs - Connect a balanced mic or line-level signal using an XLR input". I was hoping to connect the amp's XLR out's to the mixers XLR in's.

As far as XLR vs. 1/4" I was under the impression it was one or the other. XLR for gear that requires preamps, like mics for instance, and 1/4" for line level gear. There are no hard switches on the Mackie that switch between preamp and line level for the XLR in's so are those inputs auto sensing? Or, do I have to adjust gain if I am inputting a line level device so that I don't over drive the signal?

If anyone here is familiar with Mackie gear and can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

XLR.jpg

20150726_160013_resized.jpg

XLRs are standard for balanced connections...Mic or Line.

If your manual says you can use the XLR/pre connections for Line level...go for it. You probably want to turn the gain down to -20, and go from there.

Only thing is...you may still be running through the preamp section of the mixer. Not necessarily a good/bad thing, just know that the signal will get whatever "color" the preamp adds.

Otherwise, just get a 1/4" to XLR cable and use the channel Line inouts.

You may find that, even with the gain turned down to -20, that the line out of you amp might overload the XLR inputs on your Mackie.

If this is the case, an adaptor cable with an XLR at one end and quarter inch TRS on the other would maintain a balanced signal but let you use the Line Inputs on your mixer. It's a very standard cable--you shouldn't have any problem finding one to buy or build.

ETA: And of course Miroslav has just said exactly this. That'll teach me to start a reply, get called on a errand, then finish a post without checking somebody got in first! :)

Yep, XLR-F to TRS will do it if the mic inputs are too sensitive. On the mono channels you're going through the mic preamp either way but the line input has a pad. If you want to avoid the preamp you have to go in one of the stereo line inputs.

OK thanks. Just today my DJ friend gave me a box of cables and there are several 1/4" to XLR cables in there so I have that covered. I will start with XLR>XLR, play with gain then compare to the adapter cable and see which is best. The so called manual for the Mackie is thin at best. No elaboration on any of the connections whatsoever so I guess the "Pro" in the name ProFXV2 assumes you know what you are doing :o .

If you use cables from your DJ friend, make sure the 1/4" cables are balanced TRS. A lot of DJ equipment is unbalanced and may be either 1/4" TS or a TRS wired for unbalanced.

Report back after you experiment with XLR-XLR, curious how that works for you. I've got a Mackie Pro, too, and not sure that the 1/4" input bypass the mic preamps.

Report back after you experiment with XLR-XLR, curious how that works for you. I've got a Mackie Pro, too, and not sure that the 1/4" input bypass the mic preamps.
If the gain control affects them, then the answer is no. There may be a pad before that preamp to knock the line level signals down, but otherwise it's almost definitely the same signal path.

It's definitely padded and fed to the same preamp on the mono channels. That's just how it's done with that sort of gear and it works well enough.

The hybrid channels don't route the stereo input through the mic preamp. In the block diagram I didn't see anything indicating there's any preamp gain control on the stereo line input at all, just on the mono mic input. The fader is the only level control if you connect there, which might be fine if the level out of the amp is in the right range.

The dedicated stereo line input channels have gain control etc. so would probably be the best place to connect the amp's line outs using the suggested XLR-F to TRS cables.

I haven't been able to dive into it much so far but tonight I went XLR x 2 out to the mixer and I did get it to record guitar via Ableton. It didn't sound great but right now I'm in the process of learning to use the mixer, the amp and Ableton simultaneously none of which I have any experience with so it's a slow process. I can't confirm that the recording just doesn't work XLR>XLR or I'm not pushing the correct buttons, hard and/or virtual. Will have to do more experimenting.

I did solve one newb problem though... In the recording I could hear the strings of my guitar quite clearly. I was baffled for about 30 seconds then realized that the mic on my laptop was turned on! :facepalm: At least I figured that one out pretty quickly.

I know from being in high tech for a long time that for every one function I try to figure out I learn lots of other things along the way as a bonus so every day I learn a lot.

Doh what an idiot! I just realized that the reason my recording of my guitar playing sounded so bad is because I wasn't recording through the mixer at all, but rather I was recording the output of my amps speaker through the mic on my laptop! :spank:

Time to step back and do one thing at a time.
Before I do another thing I'm going to plug my guitar into the #1 input via 1/4" cable and learn how to use Ableton that way. The #1 input on the mixer doubles as a direct connect for a guitar.

See the little gray guitar button...

20150726_160013_resizedGuitarInput.jpg

There is that! IDK a damn thing about Abelton, and strongly suggest you go grab Reaper instead. Either way, though, you should go into whatever Audio Properties/Settings/Options menu you have and select the ASIO drivers for the mixer, rather than Direct X or Sound Mapper or whatever you've got going now. This will remove the laptop's mic from the equation altogether.

Either way, though, you should go into whatever Audio Properties/Settings/Options menu you have and select the ASIO drivers for the mixer, rather than Direct X or Sound Mapper or whatever you've got going now. This will remove the laptop's mic from the equation altogether.

I'm using ASIO4All V2 and have that configured in Ableton. I thought that took out the mic but I guess not. I turned off the laptop mic via my laptops controls.
The reason I'm using Ableton is because I got an auth code with the Mustang III amp so I figured getting a program that you usually have to pay for for free was a good deal. It seems to be very complete and flexible but the learning curve is very steep. If I can learn it I think it's a very powerful DAW.

I'm using ASIO4All V2 ...
Why? This may be necessary if you're trying to run both USB interfaces (amp and mixer) at the same time, but if it's just the one, its own drivers will almost always outperform the driver that ASIO4ALL pretends to be.

Just a question: Isn't Ableton more directed to beat creators or at least use of MIDI based productions?

I only recall hearing that and I have never used the software myself.

I forget what pointed me to ASIO4ALL. It may have been Ableton. I actually do have the mixer and the amp both outputting USB to the computer but for recording I want to go XLR>XLR from the amp to the mixer so both the keyboard and amp go through the same pipe to the DAW. I keep the amp connected via USB because Fender has a program called Fuse that controls the amp from my computer. From Fuse I can select amp models and effects models and then tinker with them even more by adjusting the existing models or make my own presets with my own selection of effects. The amp, keyboard and mixer are all multi-use with effects so I have a lot of choices.

Since Ableton came with my guitar amp I assume it's more than a midi maker. It does come with a huge amount of instrument models that consist of individual beats of the instrument. For instance, when I select the drum kit there are dozens of choices for each type of drum. Tom, snare symbol etc... My Yamaha keyboard also has drum modelling.

Last edited:
I recently met someone who is taking an Ableton course through Berklee in Boston. I don't mind initial frustration if I will ultimately be able to master the program or at least be a power user. If I had the extra money I'd do the certificate course. It's sort of both. MIDI sequencer and DAW.

This is the Berklee course description. There is actually more than one class required for the certificate.

This is the description from Ableton.
I have the so called "Lite" version which is what they provide to Fender but I was told that Lite is still full featured and not a stripped down demo version.

Nice! Free Ableton lesson videos from Berklee! I Just signed up and got a link to a bunch of videos. Perfect.

Why? This may be necessary if you're trying to run both USB interfaces (amp and mixer) at the same time, but if it's just the one, its own drivers will almost always outperform the driver that ASIO4ALL pretends to be.

As far as I can tell, Mackie don't provide ASIO drivers for their ProFX range of USB mixers...the web site says "no drivers necessary" which is a euphemism for "we can't be bothered to provide proper drivers so you're stuck with the MME rubbish". Sad that a once-reputable company like Mackie skimp like this...even Behringer provide drivers for most of their stuff.

Just a question: Isn't Ableton more directed to beat creators or at least use of MIDI based productions?

I only recall hearing that and I have never used the software myself.

Ableton is primarily aimed at MIDI stuff but is actually fairly decent at recording and processing audio tracks along with it. I have Ableton 9 Lite (it came with a bit of gear I bought) and use it on the rare occasion I do MIDI stuff but played with the rest of it at one point. Not my favourite but it's okay. If the OP is going to be primarily recording live and MIDI is less important it might be worth trying Reaper but the free Ableton isn't all that bad.

If the OP is going to be primarily recording live and MIDI is less important it might be worth trying Reaper but the free Ableton isn't all that bad.

I downloaded Reaper today to check it out. The lack of an ASIO driver with the Mackie is really bogging me down as I have to figure out what's best for the remaining choices. ASIO is listed as shown in the screenshot below but if I select it I get a "No ASIO Drivers Found!" message. I might have to reload the ASIO4ALL.

One thing I didn't know when I bought the Mackie is that it's mainly a live performance mixer not a recording mixer. I'm not doing any live performances, only recording. I got a good deal on CL so I'm thinking of trading it for a mixer dedicated to recording and if I do I'll try to find one with ASIO drivers. It's pretty much brand new.

The Mackie came with an Auth code for a program called Tracktion so I loaded that too. I just have too many things going on so I haven't messed with it yet.

Also, I just installed the Windows 10 beta. Nothing there either.

Reaper Settings.jpg

Last edited:
If you've just changed to Windows 10 that's another variable and yes, you'd almost certainly have to reinstall Asio4All.

However, without Asio4All it should still work but you have to do some of your setting up in Windows itself. I haven't tried Win10 yet but, assuming it's similar to Win7/8, you have to go to the Windows Audio control panel where (assuming the Mackie is plugged in) you should see it as on option on the Recording Devices panel. Set that to be the default. While you're there, go to the Properties/Advanced tab and set up your Sample Rate and bit depth to match your mixer (probably 44.1/16 bit but you'll need to check your manual). Do the same adjustments on the Playback Devices tab to send your monitoring back to the mixer (or wherever you want it to go).

At this point setting Reaper to Direct Sound (or maybe WASAPI...worth a try) should work.

In Ableton, do the same adjustments in Windows first, then under Options/Preferences/Audio Select MME/Direct Audio and make the In/Out sample rate match what you set on the Windows panel.

If you reload Asio4All, still set up the Windows side of things then select the input you want in Asio4All.

Finally, if you DO trade in your mixer...I suggest you don't buy another mixer. It doesn't help you at all in recording. A basic USB interface with Direct Hardware Monitoring will do all you need...easier and with as good/better quality for less money. There are lots of "which interface" threads here.

Back