XENYX Series preamps

mikeon

Well how good is the XENYX series of mixers... the 10 input one, behringer claims that the preamp on these mixers is really good... how much truth is there in that... is it good enough for a beginner like me.How is the preamp on it ?

My band mate owns 2 guitar amps and the band's mixer, all Behringer, and all have had some kind of problems with them, they seem to sound okay when they are working...now the mixer (already fixed twice) has developed a bad buzz...mic pres sound okay, but compared to what would be the question??

They'll probably introduce a lot of noise beyond a certain gain level, and will also most likely deliver beautifully shrill sounds, like the old UB-series mixers did... somehow I doubt they completely redesigned the things. If they did, and they sound good, good for them - I just don't think they care enough. Why are you concerned over the quality of these pre's? Are you looking to record, or just buy a small mixer for live use? For live use they would suffice, but then you venture into the realm of build quality on the part of Behringer, which is also shoddy.

well I mainly want to use it for recording, I'm on a tight budget so I was thinking I could do with the preamp on the mixer itself instead of going in for a stand alone preamp.I guess they're suitable enough for a beginner like me right? I need it mostly for the mics only.

Umm. I wouldn't waste your money. Using a small mixer is a reasonable idea for access to inexpensive preamps. But if you are going to do that, I'd avoid Behringer and look for a used Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro. They go for @ $150 or so.

well I mainly want to use it for recording, I'm on a tight budget so I was thinking I could do with the preamp on the mixer itself instead of going in for a stand alone preamp.I guess they're suitable enough for a beginner like me right? I need it mostly for the mics only.

Umm. I wouldn't waste your money. Using a small mixer is a reasonable idea for access to inexpensive preamps. But if you are going to do that, I'd avoid Behringer and look for a used Mackie 1202 VLZ-Pro. They go for @ $150 or so.

I like pohaku's suggestion if you are set on going the mixer route. How are you going to run the mic preamps out to your computer, or other recording device? Just curious, because you may be better off with a stand-alone preamp in that price range if you are recording straight into an interface or your soundcard's line-in port. The M-Audio DMP-3 is an excellent preamp in the 150 dollar price range, and would supply two channels, one to each side of the line-in, or to corresponding channels of an interface of some sort. Just more options to consider :)

Look into Yamaha's MG mixer line. Better quality, and better sound (at least compared to my bad experience with Behringer mixers).

I've used the MG series mixers as well, and their pres are definitely better than those found in behringer's mixers, but are still somewhat subpar to what you could find in a standalone unit. I've found mainly that the issue with the MG preamps is that they start out at a rather high gain increase. I plugged a Rode NT-3 into one of the mic inputs, and you couldn't sing into it within a foot without clipping, even with the trim knob all the way down :eek:

Other condensers worked fine, but be warned :)

I'd say you'd be best off going for something like a DMP3 if you don't really need the mixer... maybe an AudioBuddy for cheaper?

Xenyx is Behri's answer to Mackie's Onyx.

They are both better than other products by those two.

FWIW, I use a Behri mx9000 a bunch, it sounds way better than the VLZ Pro crap. I have a VLZ, I like it, VLZ Pro was a step back for Mackie in every way- sound, build quality, and reliability.

Back