Workhorse Headphone Amplifier Recommendations?

Monkey Mixes

Hello all : )

I recently purchased a Behringer HA4700 (headphone amp) to add to my rack, but unfortunately, this model turned out to be very noisy! I phoned up the retailer and arranged a replacement, which also turned out to be just as hissy, eventually leading to a full refund.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any particular models that you use in the studio? I'm not looking for anything spectacular sounding, just an amp that doesn't have to have the volume cranked up to disguise the irritating sound of hiss or hum!

Four stereo outputs would be sufficient, and as I have already mentioned, it is to be fitted into my rack. The Art HeadAmp series looks similar to the Behringer models, but are slightly more expensive. Are they of better build quality?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated!

Monkey :)

I've had a Behri Mini800 headphone amp for a couple of years. Strangely I only made space for it in my rack yesterday. It's a little over 1/2 a rack section in width so needed to be accommodated when something else went west.
It works quite well, is pretty flexible, not particularly noisy and takes 4 sets with a & B selections for each.
Not great but better than expected for the cost.

I used a Behringer HA4700 for years and it was not hissy? However eventually 2 of the front jacks broke the circuit boards inside (bad design, would not be a problem if you only used the rear jacks) and I replaced it.

I actually took up a special offer on the Tascam MH-8, this thing is great, however the retail may be a bit high, but if there is a deal to be done I would recommend.

Alan.

Thank you all for the recommendations! I will certainly look into them. Regarding the non-rackable products that were suggested (Presonus and Behringer) how would you guys go about fitting this in? Would you use one of those universal rack shelves with lots of pre-drilled holes?

After reading a fair few reviews about the HA4700, I think the hiss problem seems to be pretty hit and miss. Half claim to have major hiss problems (like myself), and others claim that they have no noise issues whatsoever. Strange!

The Tascam MH-8 looks pretty cool! Haven't came across that one before. The Presonus HP-60 seems like a good option too if I did decide to explore more in that price range.

Thanks again everyone!

I have used (and still use) an HA400 for quite a few years now, and it is a great workhorse. It's not the quietest device, but for monitoring while tracking it does a great job. I reckon it is great value for money.

Edit: others have mentioned hiss. That's not been too evident for me. I get more hum than hiss.

Last edited:
It is very good value for money, I agree! The functions that are included for the price are remarkable and I did get a really good deal on the HA4700. The noise was just a little overbearing for me, so I would rather pay a little more and have a quieter model. During a dense monitor mix, the noise is pretty much inaudible when cranked up, but when it came to tracking a sparse acoustic song, the hiss was very distracting for the artists and me, unfortunately.

It is very good value for money, I agree! The functions that are included for the price are remarkable and I did get a really good deal on the HA4700. The noise was just a little overbearing for me, so I would rather pay a little more and have a quieter model. During a dense monitor mix, the noise is pretty much inaudible when cranked up, but when it came to tracking a sparse acoustic song, the hiss was very distracting for the artists and me, unfortunately.

I will have to agree. The HA4700 is great for sending ridiculously loud signals to a deaf drummer (I resemble that) but it is really friggen noisy.

Please return when you find a comparable quiet headphone amp. I am looking as well.

:)

I use a single screw through the top of the HP4 (there is threaded hole for a screw, not sure if it came with it or I purchased it), mounted it under my desk. Just make sure it isn't too long. :)

Hello all : )

I recently purchased a Behringer HA4700 (headphone amp) to add to my rack, but unfortunately, this model turned out to be very noisy! I phoned up the retailer and arranged a replacement, which also turned out to be just as hissy, eventually leading to a full refund.

I was wondering if you guys could recommend any particular models that you use in the studio? I'm not looking for anything spectacular sounding, just an amp that doesn't have to have the volume cranked up to disguise the irritating sound of hiss or hum!

Four stereo outputs would be sufficient, and as I have already mentioned, it is to be fitted into my rack. The Art HeadAmp series looks similar to the Behringer models, but are slightly more expensive. Are they of better build quality?

Any help on the matter would be much appreciated!

Monkey :)

I use the Headamp pro 6, its very quite and has some cool features. the only regret I have is I bought the package that comes with headphones, they sound great but are 1/8 inch with a 1/4 inch adapter. the adapter causes static a lot.

ART HeadAmp6Pro | Sweetwater.com

:D

This is actually the recommendation and review I was hoping to receive! Finally, I find a verdict on the Art Headamp. Thanks a lot matey :)

my pleasure. each channel has a high and low EQ, stereo mono switch, and volume control. you can use the master input and all 6 channels get the same input or each channel has a direct input for 6 different mixes, there is also a output for each channel on the front which is nice if you need to hook up a set real quick. I have jacks in the common room but sometimes people want to listen in the control room so it is easy just to pop in a set.

Words of wisdom from Atkron205! Thanks for the insight. I will be sure to try and hunt down a good bargain on eBay for the Headamp!

I will let you how I get on with it.

Cant comment on the headamp 6, but I use the little headamp 4 and have zero issues with noise, and it goes loud enough for even the deafest drummer to flinch.

(only when they complain too much though)

The Presonus HP4 is not a bad little amp. Worth the money.

Just for sake of validating one model mentioned, I recently got the HP4 after my cheaper Rolls amp wasn't up to the task of adequately pushing the drivers in my new 300 ohm HD600 headphones. It's spectacular, very clean amplifier and loud.

Back