with or without pad

snicka

I can get good levels with and without the 20db pad on my digimaxLT when recording drums.

Without the pad, the preamp level knobs are at around 8 o'clock (not much above turned all the way down).

With the pad engaged, the knobs are around 10 or 11 o'clock.

I can achieve the same input level with no clipping using either.

Should I use the pad or not? Does the pad effect sound quality at all?

Thanks for any advice.

You should use the pad only when you are recording a signal that is initually too loud for you're preamp (i.e. needs no gain at all and still is clipping). When you turn up the gain, you are making the signal hotter, which means it wasn't hot enough to begin with, so no pad is needed.

When you use the pad and the gain turned up, there really isn't any benefit. I'd just keep it off until you know you need it because your meters are in the red.

You should end up with the same signal level either way - you're aiming to get as healthy a level as possible into your recording device - so as a rule don't use a pad unless you are having unavoidable clipping somewhere. It would only mean you'd have to make the pre work harder, increasing the noise and doing nothing good for your SNR (signal-to-noise ratio).

However, if the pot on your preamp is a little too broad at that lower end, and you feel you have more accurate control with it turned to about 11 o'clock, then do it. It probably won't make that much difference. :)

Hope that helps,

Nik

Depending upon the pre amp design and quaility, when you crank them up, many tend to get noisey. Like the others said in effect, if you're getting good signal and not over driving the pre...go padless.

snicka said:
Should I use the pad or not?

here's the obvious followup question: which sounds better? with it on or off?

and here's the obvious followup answer: well, then use that one......

cheers,
wade

Back