Wiring diagram for Hosa Direct Out cables?

Gherkin

Hi all.

I've just ordered a small mixer, and am planning on using the inserts as direct outs for recording. I checked prices, and it seems that buying 8 Hosa direct out cables and an 8 channel TS snake would cost a silly amount, so I've decided that I'll be better off making my own - They'd be TS at one end and TRS at the other. The only trouble is that I don't know how I'll have to wire the TRS end of my snake to do the same as the Hosa direct out cables.

"Ordinarily, the insert jack "steals" the individual channels signal for outboard processing. But the DOC-106's clever wiring provides a direct output while allowing signal to continue through the console too. Works on any mixer that has conventionally wired insert jacks."

Can anyone have a look at their Hosa Direct out cables and tell me how they're wired? Has anyone made their own, and can they tell me how to do it?

Is it as simple as wiring the tip to the sleeve at the TRS end?

Thanks guys.

Aidan

Last edited:
Don’t spend the money for a TRS connector to just wire it as a TS. In this case just use a TS to TS or TRS to TRS. It makes no sense to wire TRS to TS.

Normally in an insert point, the TRS is tip=send and ring=recieve, and sleeve is your common ground. so the TRS end will go into your insert and 2 TS plugs on the other end will be wired from TRS T to T (on a TS plug) and R (on the TRS plug) to T on the other TS plug with S being common to all plugs

Re reading your post, direct outs are just 1/4". Some are balanced some are not. If they are not, you can just use 1/4" TS cables. In many cases even with balanced direct outs (TRS) you can still use unbalanced cables (TS) with no ill effect.

I think what he is saying is that he has insert points, and wants to turn them into direct outs. So yes, direct outs are unbalanced (TS), but he has to get there from an insert jack.

chance said:
Normally in an insert point, the TRS is tip=send and ring=recieve, and sleeve is your common ground. so the TRS end will go into your insert and 2 TS plugs on the other end will be wired from TRS T to T (on a TS plug) and R (on the TRS plug) to T on the other TS plug with S being common to all plugs

I didn't look at the wiring diagrams, so I don't know if those are helpful, but going from this guy's info, this is one way of doin it:

At the TRS end, wire together the Tip and Ring, so that the send is coming right back to the recieve (ring). Then, also run the TRS sleeve to the TS sleeve, and the TRS tip to the TS tip. This way, the send is going both to the TS, which also has its return coming back to the sleeve of the TRS plug, and it is also coming right back into the insert jack's recieve point. At least that makes sense in my head...

cusebassman said:
At the TRS end, wire together the Tip and Ring, so that the send is coming right back to the recieve (ring). Then, also run the TRS sleeve to the TS sleeve, and the TRS tip to the TS tip. This way, the send is going both to the TS, which also has its return coming back to the sleeve of the TRS plug, and it is also coming right back into the insert jack's recieve point. At least that makes sense in my head...
Exactly what he's looking for... Push in a TRS on the insert jack and you break the signal path though the strip... short out the tip and ring... you just re-established it.

Thanks guys.

I know about the "pushing the insert cable to the first click" thing, but doesn't doing that stops the signal going to the faders etc. on the desk? Either way, I'll be happier plugging my cables all the way in. ;)

From the diagrams and suggestions, i've figured that The tip and sleeve from the TRS end will go to the tip and sleeve on the TS end. At the TRS end. the tip will also be wired to the ring.

I'll see how it works when my mixer arrives.

In the meantime, can anyone confirm anything? :p

Gherkin said:
I know about the "pushing the insert cable to the first click" thing, but doesn't doing that stops the signal going to the faders etc. on the desk?
on my smackie 24*4, "tapping the insert" (pushing em in to the first click) does NOT interrupt signal flow to the rest of the channel strip. however, pushing a TS or TRS in all the way (without having a return from an insert) does disrupt signal to the rest of the channel.

utltimately, it depends on how your board handles this.

as for "liking them in all the way", i hear ya on that.....but i can vouch that a tapped insert cable will stay put just fine provided you're not moving the board around and all.

cheers,
wade

The way I did it was to get stereo 1/4 inch jacks....get some stereo cable....wire up a stereo phone plug ...check to see which is the insert out...the tip or the sleeve.......solder the ground to the ground on the 1/4 input....solder the two remaining wires to the contact that goes to the tip when you plug a phone plug into it.....now use a regular phone plug to whatever plug you need on the other end (mine is RCA into my recorder)This works great for me.........It was pretty cheap for me because I have a lot of parts laying around...still shouldn't cost an arm and a leg to get the parts....and you can build em as you need em..........

sorry to add another question to a post ,on the 2 wiring diagrams it shows a balanced y lead if you used this on the i/o of a mixer would it send a balance signal to the out put lead and a balanced return or is an i/o jack insert just a conection that would only support unbalanced signals ?

thanking anybody who can shed any light on this.

axeman_ukl said:
sorry to add another question to a post ,on the 2 wiring diagrams it shows a balanced y lead if you used this on the i/o of a mixer would it send a balance signal to the out put lead and a balanced return or is an i/o jack insert just a conection that would only support unbalanced signals ?

thanking anybody who can shed any light on this.
an i/o jack insert is a just a conection that would only support unbalanced signals

Gherkin said:
Hi all.

I've just ordered a small mixer, and am planning on using the inserts as direct outs for recording. I checked prices, and it seems that buying 8 Hosa direct out cables and an 8 channel TS snake would cost a silly amount, so I've decided that I'll be better off making my own - They'd be TS at one end and TRS at the other. The only trouble is that I don't know how I'll have to wire the TRS end of my snake to do the same as the Hosa direct out cables.

"Ordinarily, the insert jack "steals" the individual channels signal for outboard processing. But the DOC-106's clever wiring provides a direct output while allowing signal to continue through the console too. Works on any mixer that has conventionally wired insert jacks."

Can anyone have a look at their Hosa Direct out cables and tell me how they're wired? Has anyone made their own, and can they tell me how to do it?

Is it as simple as wiring the tip to the sleeve at the TRS end?

Thanks guys.

Aidan

Wiring diagram for Hosa cables is:
Short ground to ground
Short +signal to ground.
Now you have duplicated the factory wiring and the cable should work as intended by Hosa.

I made up my snake today.

After playing around with a few different ways of wiring, it seemed that there was only one way that worked.

At the TRS end, I wired the tip to the ring.

Then the tip and sleeve from the TRS end to the tip and sleeve on the TS end.

Works perfectly. :D

Back