• Alto

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Phonic

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Nady

Votes: 23 3.5%

• Total voters
mandocaster said:
The only Peavey gear I haven't liked is a pair of PA speakers loaded with BW 15's and horns. They have a a very unpleasant harsh midrange. I don't know why I keep them around. They can get pretty loud, I guess.

You keep them around because the old bastard's will not die!

When I started playing guitar, I went through alot of cheap solid state combo amps. Those crappy sounding little Peavey's (blue and white knobs) would not die no matter how much abuse I gave them. I think I have seen at least one of those little Peavey amps in every pawn shop I have ever been in. I killed a few Crates pretty easily though.

One more. My yamaha f310 guitar will not die either. It was yamaha's bottom of the line acoustic guitar and has been drug from the wood's of Arkansas to the beaches of Florida. The cool thing is that it sounds pretty decent.

I hadn't thought of the M-Audio stuff to qualify for that list. But I guess they have some pretty cheap stuff.

I've had a Delta 1010 and some Studiophile SP-5B's for the last couple years and I love them both.

Another write in vote for M-Audio. Peavy has come a long way over the years though. When I was selling Peavy gear back in the late 70's, it was pure crap.....and ugly to boot. It's amazing that Hartly pulled it together the way he did, but then he had to, with Greg Mackie entering the scene.
-RD

Maybe it depends on the application, too. For PA gear, Peavey has done me well in the past. Early 80s SP-3 speakers had a decent sound and would live forever. Same with the CS800 and CS400. Absolute workhorses. What else did we have? Hmm, SPX-1 horns, mids, subs....lots of Peavey stuff that did us well. Now another band I played in, we bought some Carvin gear...remember seeing the "complete PA package" for just under $10K? We bought it. Both power amps blew within 5 gigs. Of course, it could have been our "sound man" that wasn't very experience. I don't know. Still liked the sound of the Peavey speakers better. Maybe things have changed nowadays.

The closest I've come to using any of those brands was a Carvin tube amp that a client used on a session and it crapped out.

IMO, Peavey and Carvin aren't cheap, quality-wise or cost-wise.

The rest of the manufacturers make true "low cost" products; of these low cost product brands, I'd consider owning a Behringer product, but none of the others, because of their shoddy performance and quality.

i have to exclude m-audio because an output on my 1010LT died a month after buying it. i talked to another member here that had the same problem. anyone else?

Out of all the brands mentioned here, I'd probably go with Alto, as I've got one of their mixers and it works great. I hate Peavey though, their products always seem to crap out on me. Not a lot of experience with the rest of these brands (I'm fairly new to the recording game).

M-Audio really should've been an option though.

presonus!

I have a peavey PA that kicks butt but a peavey amp that blows. gonna sell that. anybody want a peavey classic 50 for $500? somewhere between an AC-30 and van halen. for recording, presonus. and my m-audio monitors kick butt too.

Carvin defently!

I have a 1,000-watt stereo bass amp with a crossover in it, that I just absolutley love. I'm running it to a 2x15 (with carvin speakers) for lows and low-mids and running a 4x12 with full range speakers for the mids and highs. Both cabs were custom built and the while it's a huge stack and packs a punch like no other. Total price for the whole set up, about $750 (including cost for buying and building speaker cabs).

To be honest, I have a berhringer EQ in my PA rack that's been pretty reliable, and a powered mixer I've been running is "all-right". But I really would like to get away from them. The only reason I've gone with berhinger, sometimes you just can't beat the price.

I would have voted M-Audio if it was an option, but went for Behringer, cause I have the Truth monitors and they've treated me well.

EdWonbass said:
I went with Peavey because I have only owned two Peavey products in my life and I still have both of them and they still work good as new. One is a little guitar and (Audition 20) and a bass amp (Combo 300). The Combo 300 kicks ass. It used to be my main amp in the 80's. I used to crank that thing hard and couldn't kill it. :D
I don't know about new Peavey gear but the old stuff just keeps going.

I had a Behringer V-Amp Pro for a year before it crapped out. I liked it but I can't have unreliable stuff so I got rid of it.

I have a Peavy D18 18"-Bass reflex woofer w. original Black Spider woofer I've owed for the past 20 years.

No problems!

Didnt chess mention Symetrix?? Yeah...thats my vote.
Second place goes to the higher end ART and after that ya gotta go with TDM.

Back