Votes: 276 41.5%
  • Alto

Votes: 14 2.1%
  • Phonic

Votes: 10 1.5%
  • Nady

Votes: 23 3.5%

• Total voters
I will vote Behringer. I have a small mixer that I use to sum the outputs of several computers to one speaker set that has lasted 7 or 8 years. I only use it for the stereo inputs. I also have a pair of Ultragain Pro 2 channel tube mic pre. After replacing the tubes with some goon NOS tubes, they sound pretty decent. Nothing Avalon-like, but still decent enough when I need a couple extra pres for something.

I also vote Berhinger. Yes their stuff is inexpensive (some of it is also cheaply made). I have a ultratubemic100 with a limiter, well made and works great and also some of their mini stuff (cheap but works good). I record for enjoyment and dropping several hundred bucks on a piece of equipment doesn't make sense.

I have both Carvin and Peavey gear in my guitar and Bass rigs, as well as in my home studio, and I have no complaints at all, I did not buy it because it was cheap I bought it all for the way it sounds.
Both companies make great gear, and I will continue to buy it.

I'll go with Phonic - especially of late, since some of the newer products really puch above their weight.

Latest aquisitions are:- Phonic Firefly 808 audio interface and DYN 2000 dynamic processor.
Both products are brilliant and perform well above expectations and the price I paid. I've also got an old Powerpod 1062 powered mixer which I still use at home when folks drop in for a jam. After 8 years of use and abuse it's never let me down!

I think Phonic's really low prices result in a lot of folks not even trying the products, but I have to say most of their gear seems to perform quite well! On the down side some of their speakers are nothing to write home about but even then, they do have some OK units at the top end of their price range.

I use a fair amount of Behringer stuff. Their gear's pretty hit and miss, but as long as you check some reviews before hand to make sure you're getting a hit, I'd say it's some of the best budget gear you can get

I'm sure there have been many shoutouts for Naiant mics, but I can't stress their quality enough. I bought two omnis with wooden "waveplates" attached which, when run through good pres and compressors, give a totally professional sound, with very low self-noise. Finger-picked acoustic guitars sound great through 'em.

I'm sure there have been many shoutouts for Naiant mics, but I can't stress their quality enough.

+1 for Naiant.

Otherwise, I like to build and/or modify stuff. My current build projects are mic pre-amp kits from JLM Audio - 2 channels of Baby Animals (Carnhill input and output transformers and John Hardy 990C op amp) for colour, and 4 clean channels of Baby Animal Neutrals (to be slightly tweaked). This will keep me busy for a good while...

Paul

So surprising to me that Behringer is the leading brand in this poll.

I can say that I have not owned their gear and would never buy any. This is basically for two reasons: first they blatetantly copy products from other companies, reduce the quality significantly and reduce the price partially; second, the products are so hit and miss and unreliable (based on reviews, not experience).

I basically put Behringer in the category of disposable equipment. As your hear many posting on this thread of Peavey equipment from the 80's still going strong, thirty years from now you will not be hearing those comments about Behringer.

As I am new to this forum and didn't read this entire thread I presume that most of the people that voted for Behringer has not used anything else to compare.

I can say that I have not owned their gear and would never buy any.

(based on reviews, not experience).
Those two statements alone invalidate your opinion. It's like saying "I'm never going to try custard because all the custard manufacturers use sugar from Iraq and I've never read of anyone that likes the taste".
thirty years from now you will not be hearing those comments about Behringer.
So, can you give us some more details of what the world will be like 30 years from now ?

As I am new to this forum and didn't read this entire thread I presume that most of the people that voted for Behringer has not used anything else to compare.
Your presumption borders on insulting. You are in effect saying that anyone that has had good experiences with Behringer stuff is a simpleton that doesn't know enough to come in out of the rain.

Other than that, very entertaining ! :D

Back