Where your converter lives

dobro

Theory question. There's a good review of the dbx 386 at EQOnline, in which one finds this:

"One of the 386's great strengths is as a ''front end'' to a
computer-based workstation. Particularly in cases where the audio
interface lives in the computer, the dbx unit can make a drastic
improvement over both the clarity and noise level in the system.
Removing the analog-to-digital conversion process from the
computer's housing makes a big difference in the noise floor, and
the 386's headroom is better than anything you're likely to find in a
PCI slot."

Why would having the converter outside the computer improve clarity and reduce noise?

i presume this is the A/D and D/A converters your talking about ?? Only thing i would think of is the same reason its best to have an external power supply for your desk.. Hey dont quote me on that .. I would say it has to do with the amount of power going through your pc , i honestly wouldnt like all my ins and outs in the pc ... i have a breakout box and thats the way i like it .. So tell me dobro , the dbx , what exactly is it ?? does it complement your existing audio setup , or is it a separate soundcard ?? or am i so far from it there ??
spider

It's better to have the converters outside because of the potential for picking up noise from all the circuitry inside the computer.

Outside is Best

You want your converter OUTBOARD because a converter takes your analog signal and turns it into a digital signal. While the latter is pretty bulletproof when it comes to EMI, the former can pick up some pretty ugly stuff inside one of those beige boxes. Kind of like the process of attaching a protective group to a sensitive molecule prior to a harsh reaction that could damage the unprotected molecule. Then when the harshness is past, you simply remove the shrink wrap and enjoy!
Spider: the dbx is a stereo tube mic preamp with digital outputs.

I have two sound cards. A Gadget Labs 4/96 with breakout box and a Vortex card with the in's and outs on the PCI card. The Gadget Labs is dead dead quiet. I use the Vortex and a computer mic for my talkback system, running it into the FX returns on my Mackie, When I'm using that, you can hear a noise when ever I size a window, or even just when the drives kick in. It kinda neat hearing all this stuff that is going on inside my computer as audible noise (Disk Defrag is especially musical :)) But If I had to deal with that in my recordings, I think I'd go nuts!

-jhe

Well, if the analog path is designed properly, it wont matter much if the converters are outside or inside the box. For instance, take the gadgetlabs line of cards, all their converters are on the inside of the machine on the PCI card, but as James points outm they are dead quiet. why? proper design..

ametth

Ametth - you answered my question about where the Gadgetlab cards have their converters even before I asked it. And yeah, it's a really, really quiet card - I never realized how quiet it was (I just took it for granted), until recently I started applying outboard reverb to already recorded digital. Noise. Crap. I reckon it isn't the reverb unit that's making the noise - more likely it's converting and running a clean digital signal through a piece of analog gear and a not-too-good mixer. I may do without the reverb. I like the clean sound that much. Another thought I've had is to record using the verb, but the dangers are obvious. Nobody records wet signals, generally.

I know I'm changing the thread topic, but my original question's been answered. :)

Dobro,
I I understand what you just said you are sending a recorded track out of the the computer(analog) and into a reverb then recording it back to the computer. If that is the case you are creating digital artifacts inherent in the process of converting digital to analog then taking that signal converting it again to digital in the reverb. Next you are taking that digital signal converting it back to analog. Shipping back to the computer where you convert it again back to digital. You also have to lisen to it where it needs to be converted again back to analog. You see where this is going. If the reverb is connected to the "not-too-good mixer you are only compounding the problem. The less times you need to convert back and forth the better. You are much better off staying completely digital once you are on the hard drive. Try the fx from waves you can download dems from the website and see if they work better for you.

Back