Where is your console in the signal chain?

i use a yamaha PM2000 to monitor and mix to 2 track. i use outboard preamps. however, the recorder is 24 ch and the pm2k is 32, so we have 8 channels to use as for preamps and additional inputs at mixdown.

I have a Midas Venice that I use primarily for tracking. There are three outboard preamps hooked up to it, but the majority of the time I use the Midas preamps. The Midas feeds a MOTU HD192. I run SONAR 6 and mix in the box. Sonar's stereo master track gets sent back through the Midas for monitoring. I could use the Midas to mix with but haven't done that yet.

In my old studio setup I used the preamps first on my Yamaha MX12/4, then on my Alesis Studio 24, into my M-Audio Delta cards. In my forthcoming studio setup (still in progress), I'll be using my Tascam M320 board's pres into my Tascam ATR-60 tape machine and the RME Fireface 800 I'll be buying soon. I'll be sending the tape machine's outs into the mixer's tape returns and mixing that way, and the digital stuff will be mixed in the box.

Nice. How is the CAD? How are the pres? EQ? I'm using a Mackie 24.8 I picked up a couple of years ago.

I've only gotten a chance to really use it once since I just bought it. It sounds nice though. There are some crackly pots (the usual knock on the MaxCon boards) that I need to eventually take care of, but it shouldn't be too tough as the guy who designed the boards lives about 45 minutes away in my hometown.

I use mics >Outboard Pre-amp > 2" Analog Tape machine OR 24 track HD Recorder.

Mixdown is Recorder > Console > Mixdown.

This is a boring setup, ya?

In my bedroom studio I didn't have a mixer, everything just went through a DMP3, Rane EQ, and compressor (very light), then into a 1010LT.
Now that I'm in a new studio, I've got everything coming in off the snake going into the MX9000 and taking at 8 sub outs to the iO|26, with a compressor and reverb unit on inserts. The owner doesn't really know anything about... anything... so he won't put out the cash for any external pres, more compressors, good EQs, or anything, so I basically have to use a lot of what's in the console and a few nice plugins.

I use mics >Outboard Pre-amp > 2" Analog Tape machine OR 24 track HD Recorder.

Mixdown is Recorder > Console > Mixdown.

This is a boring setup, ya?

That is about the best setup anyone could ask for...the best of both worlds depending on what flavor you are in the mood for.:):)

Outboard and console pres onto 2" 16 track for tracking. Dump into PT for overdubs/editing (through the console). Then either mix itb or back through the console, and onto hard disk or tape. All depends on what I am looking for, but the console and patch bay are central.

Back