Where does what go where? Plugging in a mixer.

nicholaspaul

Too many plugs around here...
I have a Yamaha MG10/2 mixer, M-Audio Audiophile USB interface, a pair of monitors, and a Mac G4 running Cubase,

The monitors are plugged into the CR-Out of the mixer (the manual says that's where the monitors go...). The mixer's ST-Out goes to the Audiophile 1/4" in. The mixer's 2TR In goes to the Audiophile's RCA out.

The problems I have are numerous! Basically, I often have problems with all the tracks getting recorded into the one I'm trying to track (sounds like a mixdown).I also don't seem to be able to hear MIDI as I record.

If someone could tell me where things are meant to be plugged in I'd appreciate it!

Cheers!

...all the tracks getting recorded into the one I'm trying to track (sounds like a mixdown)...

Yes, that’s what "mixers" do. They "mix" things together. Isn’t that why you bought a "mixer"? It sounds like your "mixer" is doing a damn fine job of "mixing" your tracks together.

What was your complaint again? :D

first you gotta realize that the audiophile USB can only record a stereo track or 2 mono tracks at the same time so there is no way that you are going to get a seperate track for every input on the mixer so what you will get is a Mixed stereo track of all inputs on the mixer...If you want seperate tracks for every input you are going to need a different Interface......

I would also suggest trying plugging your monitors into the outputs of your Audiophile USB as opposed to through the mixer ,It might be better for monitoring......

:D

Yes, that’s what "mixers" do. They "mix" things together. Isn’t that why you bought a "mixer"? It sounds like your "mixer" is doing a damn fine job of "mixing" your tracks together.

Thanks for my monday morning laugh!

Nicholaspaul - Go here... http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/mixers/mg10_8/block_level_diagram.html

Downlaod the block diagram for your mixer and study it. For most tracking you should take the signal off the channel insert jack. If you want to record a submix, then you need to mute anything else in the mixer that doesn't belong on the track. Mostly you need to understand the gear you're trying to use. Good luck, and don't get discouraged.

No.
I bought a mixer to take all my instruments and allow me to record each one, one at a time.

first you gotta realize that the audiophile USB can only record a stereo track or 2 mono tracks at the same time so there is no way that you are going to get a seperate track for every input on the mixer so what you will get is a Mixed stereo track of all inputs on the mixer...If you want seperate tracks for every input you are going to need a different Interface......

I would also suggest trying plugging your monitors into the outputs of your Audiophile USB as opposed to through the mixer ,It might be better for monitoring......

:D

Yup, I'm only recording one instrument at a time. What has happened is each of the existing tracks gets recorded along with the one being tracked. (I don't know anyone in their right minds who would attempt a mix down while tracking!)
I'll try the monitors in the Audiophile. Thanks for the tip.
I was wondering if anyone knew where things might go in that particular mixer. Being the first mixer I've owned, I'm a little puzzled why even the manual would not expand on the meaning of 'CR Out', 'ST Out', and '2TR'. AFAIK, these aren't standard industry terms...or are they? Should I have a level control for the monitors that doesn't affect the mix (ie. the level of the instrument being tracked)?And shouldn't there be a Master level for the mixer?

...oh, and I'll also brave a peek at the block diagram!

Yes, they are industry standard terms;

CR Out = Control Room Out Goes to monitors, level adjustments don't affect stereo out level.
ST Out = Stereo Out Comes straight off the stereo buss
2TR = 2 Track tape return stereo input, goes directly to stereo buss
AFAIK = not very far :D

Do study the block diagram, it's the key to understanding your mixer. ;)

Thanks for the anagram explanations, Rob. Perhaps they are North American standard terms... It's still odd that a manual that goes to great lengths to explain the difference between 1/4" jacks and RCA/phone jacks doesn't even mention this! But hey, what I know doesn't go far, apparently.

Off to fetch the block diagram from my nightstand ...

What I think your problem is you have the outputs of your audiophile going into your mixer so when you record a track through your mixer you are also recording the outputs of the Audiophile which is the problem I had when monitoring through my mixer ....

to solve this plug your monitors into the outputs of the audiophile and not into the mixer ......

Hope this helps....

Cheers

What I think your problem is you have the outputs of your audiophile going into your mixer so when you record a track through your mixer you are also recording the outputs of the Audiophile which is the problem I had when monitoring through my mixer ....

to solve this plug your monitors into the outputs of the audiophile and not into the mixer ......

Hope this helps....

Cheers

.......Or, go ahead and monitor through your mixer, either way is fine, but the crucial thing here (I think I mentioned this already) is to use the channel insert jack of the channel you are using for a preamp as the send to the audio interface. This is the common way that folks who aren't using stand alone preamps use their mixer's preamps. It guarantees that the only thing going out is that channel, and it eliminates some other circuits and associated coloration and noise.

The mixer's ST-Out goes to the Audiophile 1/4" in.
Basically, I often have problems with all the tracks getting recorded into the one I'm trying to track (sounds like a mixdown).
Cheers!

There's the crux of your problem. Using the channel insert as the track send instead of the Stereo out will solve this. You can also record two different things at once this way, with the insert of one mixer channel going to the Audiophile's left input, and another channel insert going to the Audiophile's right input. Or, if you are stereo micing an acoustic instrument, use two mixer channels in this fashion.

Back