where does it go!!!

elicantu

untitled.jpg

this is my basic setup...

can someone tell where the crap would i put a rack in there...
lets say i got an eq and a compressor...where would it go?
help please...

Depends on whether you're tracking or mixing.

Tracking would put the EQ, if you even need one, between the source and the AD process.

The compressor could go before or after the EQ. Generally, for tracking, after, but it depends on the frequency characteristics of the EQ. This is an experience thing.

If you are mixing tracks then the EQ generally, but not always, goes at the end of your entire recording chain before you bring the final stereo mix back into the computer for the final process. This can be either prior or during mastering. The EQ would be followed by a compressor, not always however, and then followed by a limiter if you are mastering yourself. Another alternative is to set up a chain with the EQ then compressor bring this back into the computer and master it in the box.

Lot's of options. Your best approach is to buy a patch bay so you can easily re-route everything for whatever task is at hand.

i want to use them for mastering but im still having trouble hooking my interface up so the tracks on protools are returned to the mixer...im guessing that after i do that i can hook up the compressor and eq into the mixer then send it back to the comp for the master...right?

does anyone know how to hook up the mixer so the tracks in protools are playing through the mixer and then sent back to the computer?

everytime i do this i end up getting feedback...

Just connects 2 outs on the Digi to 2 inputs on the Mixer. Take the main outs of the mixer and connect to 2 inputs on the Digi. Record those inputs as a new stereo track.

Back